Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my EB last week there was a "minor" scratch on the trunk lid. They buffed it, so anyone looking at it would not really see it...buy I do:( You can see a very light scratch about 3 inches long. So here is the dilema...do I get it painted or???

My feeling is not to get it painted, but Zapper came up with a solution I like, getting them to get a new trunk lid from the factory...anybody think they will do this?:-? I haven't gone back yet to discuss it, thought I would look for the Forum's input first.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
JMHO: Thats a tough one. How long since they buffed, dealer offered to paint, Now new part and paint i dont forsee the dealer saying yes on this ??

Good luck i know i couldnt live with it either...........

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I have to agree with IMA on this one. The dealer and GM will look at it as nothing wrong with the trunk lid just the paint finish. I think Zaino has a product for removing small scratches. Might want to check into that first.:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
My opinion is no repaint. Some colors are tough to match and I suspect the EB to be one of them. If the match is not perfect, then they will "blend" the color to adjoining surfaces, meaning here the the tops of the 1/4 panels would get a dusting of paint and also the to the rear of the lid plus that little area between the lid and back glass. They would not remove the back glass and therein lies the biggest problem. The little rubber gasket for the back glass would be masked off and not removed. It would look fine for now but unless that gasket is removed, it will eventually chip/check.
Actually, it would probably look fine but you indicate that the dealer buffed the scratch and it improved. I'd suggest the shop take some 400 grit, or some other such "super fine" wet/dry sandpaper to the scratch, then rubbing compound, then wax. It sounds like the scratch is not into the color coat but merely the clear coat. A light sanding w/ super fine paper and buff will likely take care of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HEY MICHELE, I FINALLY FIXED MY PASSWORD PROBLEM. YOUR CAR LOOKS AWSOME. I NOW WANT TO GET RID OF MY YELLOW 2001 AND GET A 2002. :cheers: IN REGARDS TO YOUR PROBLEM:-? :-? I DON'T RECOMMENT THE PAINTING SOLUTION BUT RATHER TRY THJE ZAINO PRODUCTS. THE COLOUR MATCH WOULD NEVER BE 100% UNLESS YOU BLEND IN THE REAR QUARTERS. I DID HAVE ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS HAVE HIS REPAINTED BUT IT NEVER CAME OUT EXACT. I THINK THE ZAINO WILL WORK. I USE IT ON MY OWN Z06 AND WHEN I DEKIVERED THE Z06 FRON THE AUTOSHOW CIRCUIT THAT WAS BLACK AND ALL SCRATCHED UP, THE ZAINO DID A GOOD JOB AT CLEANING IT UP. WHAT KIND OF MODS DO YOU HAVE PLANNED? LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROMK YOU SOON.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Meguires Scratch X is also a good product that you may want to
try before doing a repaint. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
MOUNTAINWOLF said:
There is a kit for repairing scratches that sounds awesome. Go to www.ultimatetouchup.com. They match your factory paint, comes w/clearcoat & everything you need. I just ordered a kit for a scratch on my black 02, I'll let you know how it goes.
www.ultimatetouchup.com and www.1stautotouchuppaints.com are the same kit. I am very interested in hearing how the kit works. I have been leaning towards the Langka kit because it looks simpler.

- Charley

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ask your GM rep to suggest the best body/paint guy in your area and insist they provide you with a lifetime warranty on the paint work. You can call the factory and they can put you in touch with Dave Snellings who is the factory paint rep and he can steer you to the right shop. Do not sand anything on the car!!!! The vette has the thinest clear coat of any GM product...this is straight from the factory quote. Even rubbing compounds can break through the clear....if the Zaino can't fix it then paint it.:)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Get a pro to look at it and see what they say !

The weather was pretty good today - you should have called, then driven your baby over.

Did you talk to Glenn over at CS ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
For you guy's sweating this I had a spot on my trunklid that the factory did not shoot enough color.You could not see it under flourecent light but it was very visible under sunlight.I was sent to the dealers body shop but did not feel comfortable with them.They wanted to spot the small area on the trunk and blend into the quarter.
I ended up going to a shop that specializes in Vettes,lots of C-5s being worked on.The shops owner kept the car for 3 days and told me we will get it right or we will keep doing it till your happy.
They mixed the electron blue themselves and after 3 tries got the color and clearcoat 100%.They sprayed the entire trunk lid and the colormatch was so perfect they did not have to blend.
You just have to find the right guy to do this.There are body and paint guys out there who can do better than the factory.As much as I love my car the paintwork coming out of Bowling Green could use some improvement
Just do it!
Ray T
East Meadow NY:cheers:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
There is a chance, that after fixing or replacing or repainting, something else will happen. Just drive it, enjoy it, try not to loose sleep over the minor stuff. Sorry, you didn't ask for that.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I don't think they will go for a new trunk lid but hey you never know..As far as a repaint, Really depends on who does it and how close of a match they can do. Best of luck!!!:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the great input guys! I'm going to take it to an expert and have it looked at...will let you know what they say...Happy Holidays everybody!!!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
proexpert said:
There is a chance, that after fixing or replacing or repainting, something else will happen. Just drive it, enjoy it, try not to loose sleep over the minor stuff. Sorry, you didn't ask for that.
I agree! I have a slight scratch in the clear coat, on the right rear quarter, you have to search for it to notice it. I will try several coats of Zaino Z5 on it in the spring, hopefully that will cover it up. If it doesn't, the Hell with it, I am sure other things will happen to it such as stone chips etc. Drive the car and enjoy it,
they will never stay perfect.

carzzy

G

·
The clearcoat does scratch easy. I use 3 m fine polishing compound. Go easy and most of the time if you do it slowly and carefully it will take out most scratches. I go over a scratch a few times and it usually disappears..

Then Zaino the spot as well..

Its hard to tell over the internet what it looks like without seeing it..but me..

unless it was real noticable to the average person looking..I wouldn't bother with a respray..

Enjoy that beautiful car.

JB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts