Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever painted their polished rims and then had them powder coated clear over the paint?

I bought some non-powdercoated/clearcoated polished rims and I am going to have them powdercoated clear for protection ease of maintenance. However I was thinking of painting the inner barrel of the wheels and then powdercoating clear over the paint.

If you have done this please ket me know how it all worked out and what kind of paint you used.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about. Your wheels are polished only on the outside face & you want to paint the inside(because you can see through from the outside). In any case, I don't think you can powdercoat over existing paint, but I'm not an expert & could be wrong :eek:o: .

Well, I have some polished wheels, & the insides were not polished & looked kinda crappy, so I decided to paint the insides flat black. I'm not clearcoating anything, but if I were to want to powdercoat the polished part clear, I think it would be best to do that first & then paint the inside after, but of course you would have to mask off very well. If you want to do it in reverse order, you would need a paint that will hold up to the heat of powdercoating. For that I'd suggest using VHT type paint, which is actually what I used, even though I'm not going to stick my wheels in an oven. I used good old BBQ paint, hence the flat black color, but they do make the high temp paint in a couple other colors. I think the powdercoat process can get up to 500 deg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts