Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I have had the "Z", I have noticed folks seem to tail gate........(they always do, no matter the car in DFW)........but, with the Z, it seems they P_U_S_H the limit..............
And, speed is not an issue........it seems as if the faster i go, they are even MORE determined to either pass, or stay on my arse............anyone else noticed this very dangerous & annoying trend......or am I as the title.........
It's like I cannot even cruise in peace...............I am beginning to feel like the old hired gun..........always someone wanting to TRY you on.:-?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Honestly, I thought it only happened to me. I especially notice people trying to inch up as close as possible to my back end at stop lights. Very annoying to say the least!:mad:

·
Registered
103 Posts
In NJ most people give the Z the props, only ugly women driving the race cars (SUV's) tailgate or think they have a chance in hell to pass me.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Sometimes I'm tempted to have a little braking contest with my tailgaters but I know that even though I would probably win, I would also loose. :mad:

Pat

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
I've noticed this for quite some time. My theory is that the majority of people on the road just want to get from point A to point B. They don't enjoy driving their vehicles and it shows. They don't know much about cars or how to drive them. They think we're freaks for parking a mile from the rest of the cars in the parking lot or for cleaning our cars as much as we drive them.
I know what to expect from the common commuter and I just deal with it. I've been riding sportbikes for 8 years and that makes you very aware of things to look out for. Someone makes a stupid move and it's your ass if your not 100% alert. As far as tailgaters go, I usually just signal and move out of their way. Sometimes I drop a couple of gears and get out of their way very quickly :D There's no known cure for symptoms caused by the people who violate your personal space at stop lights. Well I guess you could do this:

http://www.studz.freeserve.co.uk/creatures/flame.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funny you mention this now...

Yesterday I am driving home on a side (residential) street and this K-car stays on my butt and gesturing for way more than normal... we get to an intersection and train arms come down...

So gotta stop. K-car right on my butt, at least 4 people in it. I push the brake just to get a better view of the driver. Looks uncertain.

In my rearview I see a *rear* door in the already questionable K-car open and guy point at me.

By now I'm worried, unfortunately not armed, so I leave the Z in 1'st then put my window down and fling my arm "casually", while sitting up in the seat. I'm not a small guy so maybe my size is a deterrant (sp?).

Happened to be a small train, so gates lift and guy gets back in his dodge before anything happens. So we all go until the next light...

Happens to be a major intersection. The driver of the K-car turned out to be a nice older lady, and the three "passengers" were ~17 year old "mean looking guys"... the only reason one of them opened a door was to try to run forward and get a closer look at my Z before the light changed!

Oh well. Surely there are a lot of a-holes out there but it seems I overreacted on this one...

Oh well.

·
Registered
644 Posts
When this happens to me,,, I disappear into the horizon and fall into the black hole....they wonder when I went?

:guiness:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I've noticed that the tailgaters that I've encountered are mostly young chicks in their little econo boxes that can barely see over the steering wheel but have that fluffy hair that almost touches the headliner in their car.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HAH!!!!!!

Score one for the big guy......AGAIN!!!!!!:lol: :lol:
Drafting.........ROTFLMAO.............
Frank...........yeah, but doesn't it work better when you're at least MOVING??????????:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :z:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey Z06LS6,

I know what you mean! I've certainly noticed that people tend to ride your arse here in the DFW area when in the Z. I normally drive a 4X4 truck and don't seem to have this problem. Don't know what the solution is.:(

·
Registered
631 Posts
Oh yeah !

The biggest mistake I have made is putting Z06 on my personalized plate.

It's like a magnet for oddballs.

Then every single person wants to egg you on.

Sheesh !

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah,i get allot of tailgaters at stop ligts etc..sometimes i just rev the engine..usually no more BS..maybe they think our exhaust tips are a grenade launcher:eek:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I'm not doubting you, but ...

I wonder exactly _how close_ they really are. This is my first Vette. I am used to driving Mustangs which are obviously much longer in the back in comparison.

When I'm in the Vette it does seem like people are really close, but I think for me its just that I'm not used to sitting this close to the rear of the car. Someday I may jump out and just see how close they really are.

In my old '98 Cobra it was annoying b/c if the car behind got really close, their lights would get blocked by the rear spoiler (which sits a couple of inches above the tailgate on that car). This was unnerving b/c I knew they were really close...although it made looking out the rearview a lot easier with no lights in your eyes. ;)

If I'm driving along I always leave lots of space in b/w me and the car in front in case I have to make an emergency stop and the guy behind me cannot brake as well as I can. This has always been my practice as everthing I drive (except the wife's SUV) stops better than 90% of the vehicles on the road. This also helps in case you get that jerk who's tailgating you...they are easily disposed of by accelerating and changing lanes shortly thereafter. :D

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Zapper said:
Oh yeah !

The biggest mistake I have made is putting Z06 on my personalized plate.

It's like a magnet for oddballs.

Then every single person wants to egg you on.

Sheesh !
:lol: :lol:

Now you have an understanding of what it is like to have "WA 2 FST" on your personal plate. Fortunately, that plate is on a mid-10 sec car that has the power to run high-9s...and a big ole' fuel pump hanging below the rear bumper. They may tail me for a split second, but that's all... :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
I wonder exactly _how close_ they really are.
So true - in my first few weeks of ownership I was getting really aggravated as it seemed like just about anyone would crawl right up to my Z's butt!!:mad: :mad:

Then I saw a reflection from a storefront at a red light - turns out there was plenty of room between me and the car behind.

I've been a more relaxed driver since... :)

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
I have a short-term cure. :sneaky:

Just invest in a bag of marbles. Then, when one of these fine people attempts to take chrome samples from your exhaust tips, simply lob 1 or 2 marbles directly over the rear end of your car. :bang: :bang: :eek:

Number one, they usually hit near dead-center of the windshield, or number 2, they bounce pretty well at most any speed in excess of 20 MPH. And you'd be surprised how many actually "ping" off of the car behind you!! :sneaky: :sneaky: :p

My wife bought me 2 bags for Christmas. Beats throwing pennies at them.
:lol: :lol: :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JT

How do you keep them from seeing you HEAVE the marbles??.
Around here, that is a prescrip for a shooting.........:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts