Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into building me a partition for my Z06. I really like the ones Andy sells but my car is tubbed and has a roll bar, so it is going to require some custom fitting. I am looking at some 1/2" MDF with sound absorbing foam on the backside. I did a search and could not find a definitive answer. Is it necessary to have a 1/2" gap along the top edge of the partition. I understand that the gap is to let air flow to the vent in the rear when closing the doors. But I wonder if it is really necessary? I know that currently without a partition I have to open a door for the trunk to close easily, but I have never had any trouble with a door closing. It seems that completely sealing the area would optimize sounds reduction. Thoughts?
thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It is not necessary....the partition is meant to cut sound, a gap would defeat that purpose. Brian at corvette partitions makes them without the gap. i have one and love it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think you need it to close the trunk. If there is no gap, then opening your door won't help much.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I have Andy's partition and I wish it didn't have the gap also. I could work around any problems the gap is suppose to eliminate. :cheers:

·
Registered
878 Posts
have the gap-your doors close easier too... :D

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
IT L GO said:
I have Andy's partition and I wish it didn't have the gap also. I could work around any problems the gap is suppose to eliminate. :cheers:
I would go for a little less gap also. But don't pay it much attention anymore.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have Andy's partition in my 03 Z06, and the gap is no where near a 1/2", maybe 1/8" tops. You can always run a piece of black adhesive foam on either the top or bottom to eliminate any gaps, you would never notice it. Nothing like slamming the shit out of your doors! :eek:o:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Check with Andy. I know he has them for tubbed cars, and I think he can work around the roll bar too.

I'd say another idea for reducing the gap would be to add the trunk mat from Lloyd's, but I bet your roll bar gets in the way pretty good.

chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts