Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to get some penske shocks for the Z06, As of now I now of three different valving available. Mallet and Ankeny revavle the shocks and I can get them from penske with standard valving.

Any pro or cons on the above or is there another shock that would work as well. Most of my autocrossing is NCCC but the Group II rules allow adjustable shocks.

Also, I am interested in alignment setups. Currently, I am running 2 deg. neg front and 1.1 deg neg. in back (that is all I can get) with zero toe. NCCC events are often different than SCCA in my area as the speeds are often higher (redline in third gear at Grissom AFB, IN) while SCCA are usually require more precision.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use the Penske's from Guy... If order from him... please mention my name! ;)

I really like the Penske's! They are easy to adjust... and can be done on the car. I only run the Single Adjustables... I think they run about $1900 from Guy.

As for alignment... your's sounds right in line with mine. But I would recommend starting with a 1/4" Total Toe IN in the rear. This will help 'tighten' up the rear of the car.

Peace,

Dave

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Shocks and such

I run Penske's also. Had mine installed by Mallett. I run the double adjustable with remote reservoirs. You can know run the braided line to the inside through the body panel and be legal for SCCA Super Stock. You can run double adjustables and then add the remote reservoirs later. You can not upgrade the single adjustables with remote reservoirs.

I concur with Dave on the settings. A little toe in in the rear (1/4" max each side) will aid in traction under hard acceleration allowingthe rear to "set in" and will aid in turning allowing the rears to "follow" the front in a turn.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Each shock is independantly adjustable with 6 detents for compression (jounce) and is infinetly adjustable for rebound. I have adjusted the fronts stiffer than the rears and vise versa depending on what I was attempting to achieve. Once I have the start dialed in I then adjust for cornering. In the wet I'll soften the ride. I usually start as soft as possible to keep as much tire contact with the road as possible. In addition I can go from a tight low speed autocross, then run a High Speed Solo I the next day and all I have to do is turn the shocks "up" ie make them stiffer. Anyways I usually run them soft at the start of an autocross and stiffen them up as the track comes in I sometimes end up running the rears a click softer than the front to actually increase "squat" and therefore traction out of the gate and corners. Although the Z06 is a great handling car I found that I am faster by powering the car through and out of corners. The Penskes have helped tune the car to the max and have probably covered some driver faults as well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
How do the Penske's compare to the stock shocks in terms of feel? (corner entry, mid, exit)

How much are they really worth to a good driver on a 60 second course? I've been in cars where adjusting the shocks stiffer *feels* better, but isn't necessarily faster..

How often do you tweak the settings on yours, Dave? I think there's something to be said for not fiddling with the car between runs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dave, how did you do it??

Dave,

From those awsome pictures it looks like your car is lower than stock. I thought you couldn't lower the ride height???

·
Registered
198 Posts
Brian those are really good questions...

First let me start by quanitfying a couple of statements... Up until 6mos ago.. if someone told me shocks would be worth upwards of 1 second, on a 60 second course... I would tell them to go fly a kite!

Second... I too am a huge supporter of drive the car... and leave it alone!

However... Penske Shocks have completely changed these outlooks for me!

First off.. I saw with just a click here, and a click there.... and BAM 1+ Second off on about a 70 second course (2 34 second courses to be exact) at my first Pro Solo with them in Atwater Calif, back in May.

I have never felt anything like them... and what they can actually do to help transform the car. However.. the only way to know is to then squash my Second statement 'saying leave the car alone at the races'

The only way I know for a fact of the improvements, was with making small changes to the shock settings at the sites!

If you continually race at one track... then you will have the luxury of just working on getting them dialed in at that site... and never having to touch them again (unless it rains or something). However if you visit multiple locations... different surfaces will require different settings. Some less than others.. but expect to make changes!

I have gotten to the point now... that literally inbetween runs I will make a small change to the shock settings to try and help it one way or the other.

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just realigned the rear end to include 1/8 Toe In for 1/4 total Toe In. I will be testing it this weekend at Grissom AFB, IN, and get back with the results.

Thanks for your input.:cheers:

·
Registered
198 Posts
GREAT!!! Let us know how it works!

Good Luck!

Dave

Also... to Danny's response above...

Hi Danny! You are right... my car is definitely lower than stock. But 2 things make this possible. First the Penske Shocks... due to being a Low Pressure Nitrogen Charge... drop the car about 1/4" - 1/2" lower than a stock Z-06 with stock shocks.

The next part is the bolts at all four corners... As I am sure you have read many people talk about lowering their cars this way... SCCA has deemed this a legal adjustment, no different than your alignment... any adjustment within the range allowed is legal. What this means... is you can reverse thread tighten the fronts all the way. And loosen the rears up until the c-clip if you chose. However you cannot Cut or Remove Rubber isolator bushings, as I am sure you have read many people have done. Mine actually isn't even lowered 'All the way' since it was actually cornerweighted to help maintain balance.

Hope this helps!

Dave

T

·
0 Posts
Mallett valved Penske shocks

I also use the Mallett valved Penske shocks.
My C5 is quite lowered and thus also have bump stops on the shocks and this is the 2nd time I have used Penskes and find them the better shock out there.
Keep in mind you can rebuilt and revalve them yourself so you have a long writeoff in the higher costs upfront.

Adjustment for nitrogen is simple though you need a bottle and system that will hold around 200 ft/lbs pressure, also a gauge that reads that high.

Compession tuning is as simple as turning a knob.
Rebound tuning is a bit tougher since the knob is at the bottom end of shock but seldom needs tweaking.

John

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
These things mount upside down right? Er, rather that the oil reservoir is at the top, for less unsprung weight?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts