Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Gang,

Shocks are sold - Good luck Chris!

I am starting my C6 Z06 savings fund and selling the single adjustable Penske racing shocks. They are by Guy Ankeny and I'll sell all four for $1750.

Send me an email if you have any questions: [email protected].

Thanks,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you give me an idea of how much better the car responds with the penske on the track and auto x. How are they around town?

Thanks for your response.

Gordon in Oakland :cheers:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gordon,

The Penske shocks made a huge improvement in handling on both a race track and autocross course, especially in the quick transitions.

The improvement in handling translates into higher grip. In general, you can brake later and pick up the throttle earlier but in the sloloms is where they really shine.

The adjustability as conditions change or from track to track is very valuable if you are looking to be competitive with the faster guys that have this level of equipment.

On the street, I dial all the stiffness out and the car is very drive-able. You definately feel the pot-holes even full soft but I have driven them more on the street than the track and I am comfortable with them.

I hope this helps!

Danny

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would love to buy your shocks, but $1750 is a little out of my current budget. Can you give me a little advice on shocks for autocross. On the Penskes do you usually dial in the penskes for higher dampening in front and less in back? I'm running a full T1 setup for road racing, but am trying to figure out if it would benefit me to use a Z51 or Z06 spring, shocks, or sway bar for autocross to get better grip. (Since I dont have the money for Penskes) I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether it would be best to soften the shocks, spring, or use a smaller bar on the rear. I'm thinking I would only want to do one of those things to not upset the car too much, but I dont know which one. Would appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shocks are sold guys, thanks for looking.

British,

As far as suspension, you can't beat a good set of adjustable shocks. What I have found that make my car quick is to reduce the rebound stiffness in the rear relative to the front especially on the faster tracks.

That being said, shocks probably only help when you are at the limit. A very experienced driver (Stelnieks / Ames / Popp) can take a stock Z06 to within 4 - 5 tenths of a second of the same car with all the trick bolt on stuff.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like maybe I shouldnt even mess with the T1 setup for autocross until I get really, really good. (Might be a while) When you say rebound stiffness on the rear relative to the front.... Wouldnt a spring with a lower rate spring rate in the rear accomplish this? Sorry for my ignorance, but just trying to learn more. Seems like the other fast Z06 I race against "digs in" coming out of corners more than my car does.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I was the lucky buyer.
Will be running them at Road Atlanta in a few weeks so will let everyone know how they do.
:jammin:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck Chris...I hope they take you to the top of T1!!

British,

To answer your question, yes, to increase grip (at either end) you soften the spring rate. I have always thought that the spring rate in the rear of the Z06 is a little too stiff. That being said, the car is designed to have a small amount of understeer from the factory. Problem is you have to be a heck of a driver to get a Z06 to understeer on r type tires.

Peace,

Danny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts