Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing wonderful comments about the Penske shocks. Any pros and cons for regular use? I have done "nothing" to my 2001 Z06 yet and really have not decided what to do or when do do it.
I have read that some are opting for the 2002 Z06 shocks from GM but I doubt if I would go that route.
Most (if not all) of you seem to make sensible recommendations, so any wisdom will be appreciated. I am relatively new to the forum. This Z06 "thing" is somewhat addictive! This is my best "vette" yet.
Regards, Z ZERO 6

T

·
0 Posts
This is the 2nd Corvette I have had using Penske shocks.
They are more money up front but keep in mind they were designed for Indy racers and thus you youself can rebuilt them and then are really very long term use rather then a cheaper shock you have a much shorter lifespan.

These shocks have an external nitrogen source and that keeps the shocks not only a bit cooler but do not degrade when getting hot.
They are fully adjustable for compression and rebound. Adjustments can clearly be felt and changes seen.
During drag racing I found these shocks gave good results with just a turn of a adjuster knob.

I use bump stops made for Penske shocks and they do prevent C5 from really bottoming out esp if like mine the car is 2 plus inches closer to the ground.

You can adjust shocks even further depending the pressure of nitrogen you use.

You buy total rebuild kits from Penske and can overall a shock in a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Yup, they are good, they are on the "yellow Car" that you will see on an upcoming Car & Driver TV Show. BTW, The Corvette wins. Oops, hope I did not let out too much info.

Joe

·
Registered
619 Posts
What do a set go for?

How long does it take to install? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Thanks. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Mallett/ Penske:
Non]adjustable @ $1,650 (set of four)

6 position ajustable (compression and rebound) with remote reservour @ $ 2,930 (set of 4)

Both are rebuildable ie, will outlast car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use the Penske Single Adjustables. Built by Guy Ankeny, of Ankeny Racing. They run $1900 for the singles, I don't know about the doubles. The Singles do not come with the external reservoir's, however they do have quite a few adjustments. The 'single' adjustment is for the 'Rebound'. They can be revalved on the 'Compression' side, if you make drastic changes to your Z-06. They then have a valve located on them to adjust the amount of Nitrogen you wish to run. So in effect they are Rebound, and Nitrogen adjustable from Guy, then to step up to the Double Adjustables you are getting, external adjustments for Rebound & Compression, along with the Nitrogen. The nice thing about the Penske's is they are also mounted upside down, so that you can do adjustments on the car, as well as you have less unsprung weight! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
619 Posts
Anybody heard of Ohlins?

They are a shock company that makes high quality shocks. They might make them for the C5.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ohlins are a very high quality shock. I was to be the vehicle used for the protypes. However, Ohlins unfortunately are not very prominent in the US... and after months of delays, I decided to go with Penske.

I will tell you this... Between... Penske, Ohlin, Koni, JRZ, they can all be equally good. But one important piece is the Valving... and I firmly believe noone has the valving down like Guy Ankeny does! That is what is the most important in any shock!

Peace,

Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
ZZ,

No experience with Penske shocks, but a lot of the race Corvettes were running them at he ALMS Sears Point this past weekend.

The best,

T

·
0 Posts
With the Penske's you really do not need to pay a vendor to valve them.
you can buy the kit from Penske and valve them anyway you like, as often as you like, from track to track conditions.

T

·
0 Posts

On 2001-07-25 20:58, IMA Z06 spewed forth this drivel:
teamzr1

Cool post, alway's wondered how a shock went up and down...........

Well I admit going up and down, up and down is a lot of fun but if you look at the design it is already designed to add a spring and the Hydraulic Secondary Spring, the 9000 SS, is a new innovation from the Penske Racing Shocks design offices.
This device creates a hydraulic link between paired dampers at the front and/or rear of the car which serves to transform otherwise independent side dampers into part of a total hydraulic damping system. The 9000 SS provides the best of both worlds for racing damper needs by allowing the use of "softer", decreased rate corner springs for better control and ride over the low speed bumps while maintaining the needed ground clearance and ride height under aero loads. This occurs as a progressive, additive spring rate is created based solely on shaft displacements.
It works to moderate roll hydraulically instead of mechanically as fluid is allowed to transfer from damper to damper, loading the unloaded wheel and providing better traction through the low speed corners.
In two wheel bump, the system decouples itself and the 9000 SS canister acts as a system accumulator, maintaining the individual characteristics of the dampers. Thus, pitch control is virtually independent of roll control.
This device is critically dependent on the system fluid volume and therefore, a syringe-type tool is used to add or withdraw the exact amount of fluid for a desired ride height.

The 9000 SS has already been race proven on Sports Car/GT, CART, Formula Atlantic, and Australian Touring Cars with great success.

Now that is really a hoot

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts