Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are ya'll using # M1-107?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The correct number is M1-107
Some of the LS1 guys use the larger M1-206. This filter should fine on the C5 with a stock exhaust. It might interfere if you have headers. :cheers:

Mobil 1 M1-206**
Mobil 1 (Stock Size) M1-107

** Larger than filter M1-107 (will hold 1/4 quart more of oil than the M1-107 filter)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I prefer the K&N oil filter which seems to work well with 5W-30 Redline synthetic oil. When K&N is not available, I use the Mobil M1-107.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
I'm also running the M1-107 on my Z.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I run Mobil 1 M-107 on the vette. I am worried about ground clearance!! This filter is the stock size.

I run Mobil 1 M-206 on the Trans Am. It does hang down lower than the oil pan. I am not as worried about ground clearance, but if I ran over something it would hit the air dam first and the oil filter second. :(

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't mean to start another filter flame debate here, nor do I intend to talk anyone out of using the Mobil 1 filter. I myself used them for years. But, since a few of you seem concerned about clearance, I just want to share this info with you.

I run the AMSOIL SDF32 filter on my car and I am very concerned about clearance. This filter is the same size as stock and doesn't stick below the oil pan.

AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

Nocture posted the below info on another thread a few days ago which I share for your info. It is very enlightening. :cheers:

From my research...

The purpose of an oil filter is simply to filter out foreign particles from the oil that will damage the engine. The primary factors for a filter are the size of particles it will capture and the flow rate it will sustain.

Obviously you want a filter that can maintain acceptable flow, while removing the most amounts of particles. Oil flow is critical for lubricating a performance engine, while particle removing is important for engine longevity.

If you had a pure racecar you would want a filter with the best flow, since you would be replacing the oil every race and engine life is not relevant. For a streetcar engine life is very relevant.

The UPF44 filter is a Gen-3 Synthetic non-woven laminate filter that is actually made by Champion Labs for AC Delco.

The Mobile-1 filter is a Gen-5 Synthetic non-woven laminate filter that is actually made by Champion Labs for Mobile-1.

The AMSOIL SDF filter is a Gen-12 Pressed Cellulose filter that is actually made by Baldwin for AMSOIL.

There is no correlation to generations between Synthetic and Pressed Cellulose filters, only between themselves.

The real comparison of these filters can be easily expressed by their Pore Sizes and Flow Rates. The key is to balance flow vs. filtration. Remember that flow is also relative to overall particle removal. If a filter flows twice as fast, then the oil will travel though the filter twice as often and remove more particles.

Fram TG8= Lg Pore>40 / Smallest Pore>15 / Average Pore>41
Fram TG8= [email protected] 20psi = 4.3 gpm Raw Media / fl-oz/in³/min>2.02
Purolator = Lg Pore>43 / Smallest Pore>10 / Average Pore>42
Purolator = [email protected] = 3.8 gpm Raw / fl-oz/in³/min>1.49
---
UPF44 = Largest Pore>45 / Smallest Pore>17 / Average Pore>43
UPF44 = [email protected] 20psi = 3.0 gpm Raw Media / fl-oz/in³/min->1.97
Mobile-1 = Largest Pore>56 / Smallest Pore>16 / Average Pore>52
Mobile-1 = [email protected] 20psi = 5.3 gpm Raw Media / fl-oz/in³/min>2.27
AMSOIL = Largest Pore>52 / Smallest Pore>17 / Average Pore>50
AMSOIL = [email protected] 20psi = 9.5 gpm Raw Media / fl-oz/in³/min->3.58
---
WIX = Largest Pore>65 / Smallest Pore>19 / Average Pore>58
WIX = [email protected] 20psi = 5.9 gpm Raw Media / fl-oz/in³/min->2.50
Fram X2= Largest Pore>61 / Smallest Pore>23 / Average Pore>57
Fram X2= [email protected] 20psi = 8.5 gpm Raw Media / fl-oz/in³/min->4.49

From the above list you can see that the UPF22/Mobile-1/AMSOIL filters are all high-flow “small particle” filters. The WIX/FRAM X2 filters are “large particle” filters. They will leave more particles in our oil, but generally flow faster. Fram TG8/Purolator are low-flow “small particle” filters that will clean the oil well, but restrict oil flow though the engine greatly.

I personally would not put a large particle filter on a modern performance engine like our Z06’s. They do not meet the standards specified by GM. I would also not use a very restrictive filter like the Purolator. For the oil filters that flow well with good filtration, the results are obvious.

The Mobile-1 filter flows at almost twice the rate as the UPF44, while filtering out the same particle sizes. The AMSOIL flows at 3 times the rate, while filtering out the same particle sizes.

This is the difference between OLDER generation filter technology and newer generation filter technology. All the good filters (UPF44/Mobile-1/AMSOIL) will also last significantly longer then the junk filters. In case you don’t change your oil as often as you should.

The UPF44 is a very good filter overall. It is however not the best by any means.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The Mobile-1 filter flows at almost twice the rate as the UPF44, while filtering out the same particle sizes. The AMSOIL flows at 3 times the rate, while filtering out the same particle sizes.
I've used both the AC Delco UPF44 and the Amsoil SDF32 with Mobil 1 5W-30 oil. I did some oil pressure vs. engine RPMs measurements at specific oil temps (off the DIC) and found that the oil pressure was the same for both filters, which means any flow restriction on the UPF44 filter is not in the region where you'd see it on the oil pressure gage.

I do like the fact that the Amsoil filter flows more, which probably means it also has more total filtering media area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts