Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question for you all:

Do you ever had to replace a burned out bulb? And if so... how much of a pain would that be? or could turn out to be?

My Z is in the body shop for a minor lady-in-SUV-backing-up-into-EB-Corvette accident. And i did a little thing.. but since the front bumper is off... i was thinking of just also doing the fog lights

The guy that is working on it told me that it isnt a good idea..since it is a vette that is low to the ground and we live in Miami.. humidity will burn it out sooner than later and to replace it it will be pain in the ass....

is this true??? :(

·
Registered
808 Posts
jcamere94z28 said:
I have a quick question for you all:

Do you ever had to replace a burned out bulb? And if so... how much of a pain would that be? or could turn out to be?

My Z is in the body shop for a minor lady-in-SUV-backing-up-into-EB-Corvette accident. And i did a little thing.. but since the front bumper is off... i was thinking of just also doing the fog lights

The guy that is working on it told me that it isnt a good idea..since it is a vette that is low to the ground and we live in Miami.. humidity will burn it out sooner than later and to replace it it will be pain in the ass....

is this true??? :(

It's really not hard to install them so replacing one should the need arise wouldn't be any more difficult. As for frequency of replacement, I guess you could say as often as you would change your headlamp bulbs. Oh, and yes I have them and installed them myself with hand tools in my garage.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
BQuicksilver said:
I agree, except you will be replacing the bulbs fairly often. They just don't last that long. I'll do my 4th bulb change this weekend. :(
how long do they usually last?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
BQuicksilver said:
~8 months in my daily driver. Not long, but they're worth it. The light is impressive.

hhmm...that's not long at all. Is there a reason why they burnout so quickly?

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
I installed the PIAA's and have replaced a bulb. The only trick is remove the plastic shield that goes aroundthe lens and on each side of the light assembly. When this is taken out there is easy access to the mounting bracket so you can pull it to remove the bulb. The bulb is actually part of the whole lamp assembly not just a 'bulb' since it is dichronic. The bulb is expensive. :(

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had planned on buying the PIAA's but I might look elsewhere that would last longer

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, have had mine for less than six months and just ordered my second bulb today! And @ $40 a pop it's getting a little frustrating. I like what they produce but may end up looking somewhere else after the next burn out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have PIAA 1100X lights on my truck & I second that they burn out quickly. If I get a year out of them, I'm lucky. At $45 a piece for a new bulb I wish I'd never bought them. They do look good & put out impressive light though. All in all I'd rate them as a POS.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hmm. Guess I don't drive that much after dark. Mine are still going strong (no bulb replacements). But it doesn't surprise me to hear of frequent replacements. Those tiny projectors are real flame throwers. Seems like the price you pay for serious non-HID lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts