Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The zo6 is essentially a 5 speed....... 6th gear is just for gas mileage. A zo-6 with a zr-1 transmission will be a true six speed GUARANTEEING faster accelaration. And most importantly, maintaining the 50/50 weight distribution that the zr-1 DOESNT have.
Whaddayathunk?

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
The zo6 is essentially a 5 speed....... 6th gear is just for gas mileage. A zo-6 with a zr-1 transmission will be a true six speed GUARANTEEING faster accelaration. And most importantly, maintaining the 50/50 weight distribution that the zr-1 DOESNT have.
Whaddayathunk?

Sorry bro, but I'm not sure how having 'true' 6th gear does anything for acceleration?

It may help the top end but I'm not sure exactly where you're going to need speeds in excess of 202mph?

Oh, and Welcome to the site!

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry bro, but I'm not sure how having 'true' 6th gear does anything for acceleration?

It may help the top end but I'm not sure exactly where you're going to need speeds in excess of 202mph?

Oh, and Welcome to the site!

Mike
Thanks for the welcome. A 6th gear helps accelaration BECAUSE with an addition of an extra CLOSE ratio gear (thats not overdrive)it basically aligns all the gear ratios, that when u shift, the motor is never far way from its powerband. This is a TOTALLY no brainer here if u own a zo6. The zr-1tranny has a host of inprovements too like shorter throws, and more precise engagemets.If u own a ZO6, u honestly would be a fool if u didnt get this transmission for your slend.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
6th gear in the ZR1 is still an overdrive gear, but it's a lower gear than 6th in the Z06, which is also an overdrive gear.

The TR6060 transmission in the ZR1 uses the MH3 gearset, whereas the Z06, which also uses the TR6060, uses MM6 gears. Although the MH3 gearset offers closer ratios than those found in the Z06, once again 6th is still an overdrive gear. It's just not quite as high (tall) as the 6th in the Z06.

Now, look at the differences between 1st thru 3rd...

'09 ZR1 TR6060 gear ratios...

First: 2.29
Second: 1.61
Third: 1.21
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.81
Sixth: 0.67
Reverse: 3.11
Final drive ratio: 3.42

'08 and '09 Z06 TR6060 gear ratios...

First: 2.66
Second: 1.78
Third: 1.30
Fifth: 0.74
Sixth: 0.50
Reverse: 2.90

The ZR1s higher 1st - 3rd ratios are better suited to its greater horsepower and torque, whereas the Z06 is better off with its lower 1st - 3rd gears due to its lower h.p. and tq. and slightly higher redline rpm.

·
Premium Member
9,757 Posts
The only dash is from 0-100 :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6th gear in the ZR1 is still an overdrive gear, but it's a lower gear than 6th in the Z06, which is also an overdrive gear.

The TR6060 transmission in the ZR1 uses the MH3 gearset, whereas the Z06, which also uses the TR6060, uses MM6 gears. Although the MH3 gearset offers closer ratios than those found in the Z06, once again 6th is still an overdrive gear. It's just not quite as high (tall) as the 6th in the Z06.

Now, look at the differences between 1st thru 3rd...

'09 ZR1 TR6060 gear ratios...

First: 2.29
Second: 1.61
Third: 1.21
Fifth: 0.81
Sixth: 0.67
Reverse: 3.11

'08 and '09 Z06 TR6060 gear ratios...

First: 2.66
Second: 1.78
Third: 1.30
Fifth: 0.74
Sixth: 0.50
Reverse: 2.90

The ZR1s higher 1st - 3rd ratios are better suited to its greater horsepower and torque, whereas the Z06 is better off with its lower 1st - 3rd gears due to its lower h.p. and tq. and slightly higher redline rpm.
Wow,...u work for g.m?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I like getting good gas mileage in my Z06 with the double OD 6th gear ratio on the freeway. It also helps to cut down on engine and exhaust noise at correspondingly lower RPMs. Skip shift I could do without, but small price to pay for no gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In my opinion, the real gift that the ZR1 gives to the Z06 is that it lowers the price of Z06's a little bit. I am seriously considering upgrading from my 03Z to a C6Z and the lower prices definately make it attractive for me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
With ratios what they are, swapping a ZR1 tranny into a Z06 would HURT accelleration as the first 3 gears are ALL taller (numerically lower) with the same final drive ratio. So, please explain how this is a no brainer to swap trannies for C6 Z owners..............their car would be slower acceleration wise and on top of that would get worse gas mileage:screwy:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
With ratios what they are, swapping a ZR1 tranny into a Z06 would HURT accelleration as the first 3 gears are ALL taller (numerically lower) with the same final drive ratio. So, please explain how this is a no brainer to swap trannies for C6 Z owners..............their car would be slower acceleration wise and on top of that would get worse gas mileage:screwy:
Rain, that can't be true because when I said something similar in my previous post, I was told... "This is a TOTALLY no brainer here if u own a zo6." and ..."If u own a ZO6, u honestly would be a fool if u didnt get this transmission for your slend."

Plus I was also given a quick lesson in how transmissions work :yeadog::yeadog:

How cool is that!

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have u ever4 shifted past the 3rd gear gear?? Life does exist past gear #3. If u dare to get out of your sub-division and hit the freeway, u might understand:pp:

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Have u ever4 shifted past the 3rd gear gear?? Life does exist past gear #3. If u dare to get out of your sub-division and hit the freeway, u might understand:pp:
3rd gear goes well into triple digits, right? Those neighborhood kids wouldn't stand a chance! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Have u ever4 shifted past the 3rd gear gear?? Life does exist past gear #3. If u dare to get out of your sub-division and hit the freeway, u might understand:pp:[/QUOTE

3rd gear goes well into triple digits, right? Those neighborhood kids wouldn't stand a chance! :lol:
Another candidate for Mensa huh?:sneaky::lol::lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Amazing....OK, let's get past 3rd gear, which for me is somewhere around 120mph as I shift into 4th, which oh by the way is the exact same ratio in both trannies thus meaning absolutely NO benefit in acceleration. We can beat this horse however many different ways you want to but the facts and the math do not lie. If I want maximum acceleration on the freeway I don't downshift from 6th to 5th for passing, it's to 4th or 3rd depending on what speed I'm traveling at the time. Those of us who do actually know how to drive and do simple math understand this, sorry the numbers are confusing to you. Taller gears mean slower acceleration. The only 2 gears that are shorter are 5th and 6th and both are overdrive ratios in BOTH trannies with marginally higher ratios at that, which might be of use on the Autobahn at 160mph+ but not helpful to any Z06 owner that I know of in the US. This lesson in reality is free. You are awarded no points and we all are dumber for having listened to you:bang: Cheers, Rain

·
Premium Member
9,757 Posts
It wasn't a total loss Rain - Mike learned how transmissions work :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Yeah, Mike learned something, now maybe he can get his C5 Z on the track once and for all...

Mark

1 - 20 of 52 Posts