Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
6th gear in the ZR1 is still an overdrive gear, but it's a lower gear than 6th in the Z06, which is also an overdrive gear.

The TR6060 transmission in the ZR1 uses the MH3 gearset, whereas the Z06, which also uses the TR6060, uses MM6 gears. Although the MH3 gearset offers closer ratios than those found in the Z06, once again 6th is still an overdrive gear. It's just not quite as high (tall) as the 6th in the Z06.

Now, look at the differences between 1st thru 3rd...

'09 ZR1 TR6060 gear ratios...

First: 2.29
Second: 1.61
Third: 1.21
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.81
Sixth: 0.67
Reverse: 3.11
Final drive ratio: 3.42

'08 and '09 Z06 TR6060 gear ratios...

First: 2.66
Second: 1.78
Third: 1.30
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.74
Sixth: 0.50
Reverse: 2.90
Final drive ratio: 3.42

The ZR1s higher 1st - 3rd ratios are better suited to its greater horsepower and torque, whereas the Z06 is better off with its lower 1st - 3rd gears due to its lower h.p. and tq. and slightly higher redline rpm.
I undrstand what you are saying doubt, thanks. But what if you changd the rear end too?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I want maximum acceleration on the freeway I don't downshift from 6th to 5th for passing, it's to 4th or 3rd depending on what speed I'm traveling at the time.
Actually if you want maximum acceleration, man up and try using 2nd gear. This approach has gotten me thumbs up at the next toll booth from a very surprised rider on 700cc sport bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
to get better use of the .50 6th gear go to a 4.10 or 4.55 rear end. You will then be able to use 6th for acceleration.

/thread
Well my whole thing is not just better accelaration, but also better quality gearchanges and feel with the new tremec 6060 thats found in the 125$K ZR1. The Z06 tranny is notorious for notchy shifting especially from 2nd to 3rd.
Also 4.10 rear end will throw the ZO6 ratios outta whack with extremely short ratios from 1-5.
I seem to be the only one who would do this but in my humble opinion, thats the only real mod the Z06 needs, besides intake and exhausts if desired.
End result is you get a world class close ratio slick gearbox, a redline of 7000rpm and 50/50 weight distribution that the ZR1 will never have

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
the ZR1 has proved it doesn't need 50/50 weight dis. Not at all trying to be an ass hole when I say this but...

Are you really a good enough driver to even noticed a car that is 50/50 vs 53/47 or 52/48? honestly... Are you not happy with the blistering performance of the Z06 so much that you would rather go through the trouble of switching the trans to a ZR1 trans instead of just FI? 4.10 would make 1-5 quicker and allow 6th to be used and 4.55 or 4.73(I don't know what ratio they use in the C6Z to upgrade for drag so please don't flame) could possibly be better.

You are making valid points and create plausible statements but not practical ones. The ZR1 is a gift to the world by GM. they are ready to produce a world class supercar and succeeded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
the ZR1 has proved it doesn't need 50/50 weight dis. Not at all trying to be an ass hole when I say this but...

Are you really a good enough driver to even noticed a car that is 50/50 vs 53/47 or 52/48? honestly... Are you not happy with the blistering performance of the Z06 so much that you would rather go through the trouble of switching the trans to a ZR1 trans instead of just FI? 4.10 would make 1-5 quicker and allow 6th to be used and 4.55 or 4.73(I don't know what ratio they use in the C6Z to upgrade for drag so please don't flame) could possibly be better.

You are making valid points and create plausible statements but not practical ones. The ZR1 is a gift to the world by GM. they are ready to produce a world class supercar and succeeded.

I have watched so many videos of high speed races races where the Z06 runs out of steam in the 5th gear. I also have seen many cases of missed shifts from 2nd to 3rd in the Z06 under hard accelaration. And then add the extra long sixth gear that essentially reduces a 505hp sports car to a 5 speed. It its also not a particulary engaging gearbox to row thru.

The Tremec tr6060 has addressed all shortcomings of the tremec t-56.

Forced induction is a route that has its hazards. You potentially have drivabilty issues, longevity issues, warranty cancellations, poor workmanship, and more weight on the nose.

The Z06 really doesnt need more horsepower than an exhaust, intake and good dyno tune. I think the t6060 tranny and a shorter rear end would make it PERFECT!!!
In royal blue, that is:yeadog:

·
Banned
504 Posts
The Z06's trans. would not have made 200mph in the ZR1 because the ZR1 doesn't make 7000rpm. Also, the Z06's first gear would have been way to low with the ZR1's power (55mph at 6500rpm not 66mph). The second gear being 85mph is probably not good for the same reason, but 92mph is better.
Also there is more overlap with six gears so you wouldn't need to shift as often, a choice if you will, when your in the corners for instance.

And again due to the ZR1's revolutionary tuned shocks the weight distribution can be calibrated for, and therefore it doesn't matter as the ZR1 handles better then the world renowned snap oversteering c6 Z06 with it weight flying all over the place stock. The ZR1's shock tech. catches that weight.

Let me know if you guys need anything else!

And Mike! Nice hot rod!!!

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I have watched so many videos of high speed races races where the Z06 runs out of steam in the 5th gear.
you have seen videos where the z06 runs out of steam? have you actually raced your car to know have fast the car really is? it might "run out of steam" but will you ever need use of the 6th gear of the car as a race gear? I could see you bringing this up because you track the car a lot and YOU always lose steam in 5th. you are making the car faster in 6th because you saw it in a video?

I also have seen many cases of missed shifts from 2nd to 3rd in the Z06 under hard acceleration.
Again with the "I saw," do YOU have a problem with missing shifts? If YOU have a problem missing shifts then address them by upgrading to a shifter that will help you. Don't upgrade because you saw some guy miss a shift. maybe that guy was a moron who can't drive.

please don't go through all of these mind-bending, crazy mods to get an expensive trans to fit in your already expensive car just because you "saw a guy" who needed more power and better driving habits.

I am not trying to put you out on front street but you are not making much sense.

Drive the car.. upgrade what YOU need to upgrade for YOUR driving habits.

If you have a problem with gearing and honestly want to spend the R&D to make it happen it is your money and time. I am trying to help you do it easier and cheaper.

just a little FYI

the 2009 Dodge Viper ACR (the one that lapped the Nurburgring in 7:22) it makes the top speed in 5th gear. the 6th gear is not a speed gear. and it too, uses the The Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission (model TR6060)
1- 2.66,
2- 1.82,
3- 1.30,
4- 1.00,
5- 0.741,
6- 0.50;
those ratios look really close to the Z06's not the Zr1's.

Axle ratio, 3.07:1;
overall top gear ratio, 1.5:1
top speed- 202 mph (325 kph)
Redline on the Viper is 6300rpm

in 2010 the changed 5th gear to .796 and got 0-200 time 14seconds faster. and top speed of 202.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
you have seen videos where the z06 runs out of steam? have you actually raced your car to know have fast the car really is? it might "run out of steam" but will you ever need use of the 6th gear of the car as a race gear? I could see you bringing this up because you track the car a lot and YOU always lose steam in 5th. you are making the car faster in 6th because you saw it in a video?

I dont have a Z06. Go ahead and vomit your hatred on a non entity daring to question a Z06 grandmaster, such as your self. I will soon behind that flimsy Z06 badged seat, believe me. I am nevertheless an enthusiast who doesnt need seat time to deduce and digress what cars are, and what they arent. Videos dont lie and I have seen countless, and read tenfold more on print. At some point, I can come to some self perceived judgement on what i see and read.

Again with the "I saw," do YOU have a problem with missing shifts? If YOU have a problem missing shifts then address them by upgrading to a shifter that will help you. Don't upgrade because you saw some guy miss a shift. maybe that guy was a moron who can't drive.

please don't go through all of these mind-bending, crazy mods to get an expensive trans to fit in your already expensive car just because you "saw a guy" who needed more power and better driving habits.

I am not trying to put you out on front street but you are not making much sense.

Why arent I making sense??? Get out of the of the norm and be a little innovative, and think outside the box. All u want to do is force induct the ever living daylights out of that ls7 instead of fine tuning what the engineers may have overlooked,..but ultimately corrected, in a different iteration

Drive the car.. upgrade what YOU need to upgrade for YOUR driving habits.

If you have a problem with gearing and honestly want to spend the R&D to make it happen it is your money and time. I am trying to help you do it easier and cheaper.

just a little FYI

the 2009 Dodge Viper ACR (the one that lapped the Nurburgring in 7:22) it makes the top speed in 5th gear. the 6th gear is not a speed gear. and it too, uses the The Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission (model TR6060)
1- 2.66,
2- 1.82,
3- 1.30,
4- 1.00,
5- 0.741,
6- 0.50;
those ratios look really close to the Z06's not the Zr1's.

Axle ratio, 3.07:1;
overall top gear ratio, 1.5:1
top speed- 202 mph (325 kph)
Redline on the Viper is 6300rpm

in 2010 the changed 5th gear to .796 and got 0-200 time 14seconds faster. and top speed of 202.
The video on the ACR ring , .. was ghastly. It was nothing like the beauty Jim Mero did with the ZR1. Sure it was faster, but how many times did he redline it continously before braking to corner,.....they never did get it joyously sideways,..It was just robotic and benign.
Besides the ACR is a hardcore track robotic mole, not a sonorous V8 American ferrari like the ZR1

·
Registered
208 Posts
For a lot of racers, hitting the rev-limiter when approaching some apexes is faster than brake-downshift-turn-accelerate-upshift.

It's not what I usually do, but it isn't to be mistaken with bad driving.

·
Banned
504 Posts
For a lot of racers, hitting the rev-limiter when approaching some apexes is faster than brake-downshift-turn-accelerate-upshift.

It's not what I usually do, but it isn't to be mistaken with bad driving.
I don't really know for sure, but, after watching Jan Magnussen run at the ring I saw how relaxed and inpromptu he was about shifting. With the ZR1's having a power band everywhere I saw having a choice would seem to be an advantage, especially with a shifter.
Interesting the new Porshe and Ferrari both now have an additional gear added to their paddles! Did GM teach them something? For sure! :yeadog:

Let me know if you need anymore help! :sneaky:

·
Banned
504 Posts
What do you mean Jimbo you guys gave me crap about the pictures of my mufflers too, and I thrive on that!
:yeadog:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/sts-mufflers-iii-104329/

And I love turning your crap against you! And again I understand and love all that power Mike's car has and know how he essentially made a straight line motorcycle eater out of it. Still with the Z51 gears never the less! No slicks, no worky.
Anyway, I know where you guys are coming from!
Bust away! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ferrari's F1-Trans and Porsche's PDK all make this possible; they can shift virtually instantly, so it is beneficial to have more gears.

However, if you threw a 7-speed gearbox in a Corvette, you'd likely make it slower due to all of the time you'd spend shifting (not to mention the fact that the car would be thrown off balance whenever you shift in a corner). Quick gearboxes make additional gears possible.

Also, on a manual gearbox, adding a 7th gear would be virtually un-doable. Why? Because there is no room in an H-pattern gearbox for a 7th gear. It would be very, very difficult to design a gearbox such that you could consistently hit your shifts into gears 2-7 without missing a shift or selecting the wrong gear.
Very true. Am pretty sure that six gears will be a max as long as manual geraboxes are offered (hopefilly before I pass). & gears on a manual would be a shifters nightmare, and would also be slower as u said.

·
Banned
504 Posts
In the case the 7-gear cars the extra gears also bolsters their smaller displacement torque, and the extra time is more then compensated for by the 3 to 4 times quicker shifting over the stick as you said.
I really think the extra gear really serves to move the ZR1 with stick shifting easier, since, it has lower torque max. with the supercharging spacing out its power.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts