Corvette Z06 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
The "gift" from the ZR1 should be the wheels/tires and brakes. Those damn Goodyear runflat tires standard on the Z06 are the first things that should go. I haven't done a search yet so I'll just be lazy and ask if the wheels and brake kit from the ZR1 would fit an 08 Z06 without issues.

·
Premium Member
9,757 Posts
The "gift" from the ZR1 should be the wheels/tires and brakes. Those damn Goodyear runflat tires standard on the Z06 are the first things that should go. I haven't done a search yet so I'll just be lazy and ask if the wheels and brake kit from the ZR1 would fit an 08 Z06 without issues.
:yeadog: It's going to be an option on future Zs - CC brakes/Michelin tires/ElectroMag suspension :thumb: Check out the threads on the new Carbon edition Z.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well where are you going to get a chance to actually run that fast in 6th gear leagally other than the Autobahn or Miller Motorsports Park? Running that fast on the street is not cool!

The fastest track I get to run at is Fontana and I'm doing 150 MPH into turn 1 at the top of 4th gear in my C-5 Z06. I figure my ZR1 would be doing 165, but I'm not going to run it at 100% at the track.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:yeadog: It's going to be an option on future Zs - CC brakes/Michelin tires/ElectroMag suspension :thumb: Check out the threads on the new Carbon edition Z.
I saw the threads and a few e-articles about this a couple of days ago. It looks great and should be a monster. I'm just worried about the prices. I think that we are going to get awful close to ZR1 prices with the carbon edition and at least 15K over base Z06 price for the Z07 package. Now we're talking serious cash when you consider that I picked up my brand new 2008 Z06 1LZ, back when the economy had tanked, for the great price of $59,600. We will never see prices like that again for that much car.

·
Premium Member
9,757 Posts
well you know what they say about prices...if you have to ask....:lol:
I'm sure it won't be cheap, and nothing like the great deal you got.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm gonna add my two cents...

I haven't tracked my car, either at the 1/4 mile or the road course, so I can't comment on track performance. On the street though, with street tires, at stock power levels it was ridiculously easy to break traction in 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I would think a slightly taller 1st-3rd gear set would help put the power down a little better. With racing rubber, it might be another story. I'm having some transmission problems right now, and am seriously considering a ZR1-spec TR6060 swap. If nothing else, for the increased torque rating and improved shift quality. It all depends on how much this repair job is going to cost... :doh:

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
there was once a dash-- zr-1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I'm gonna add my two cents...

I haven't tracked my car, either at the 1/4 mile or the road course, so I can't comment on track performance. On the street though, with street tires, at stock power levels it was ridiculously easy to break traction in 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I would think a slightly taller 1st-3rd gear set would help put the power down a little better. With racing rubber, it might be another story. I'm having some transmission problems right now, and am seriously considering a ZR1-spec TR6060 swap. If nothing else, for the increased torque rating and improved shift quality. It all depends on how much this repair job is going to cost... :doh:

Finally some one with some sense. Someone thats ready to think outside the box. Even if done for the shift quality alone, its a definte improvent over the ol tranny. Like I said earlier, the accelerations time should be better to as the newer tranny is a true six speed unlike the z06s five performance ratios, and a super overdrive for sixth gear.
One more thing, I think slightly shorter rear end might be also considered, ai the Z06 probably doesnt have the power to push 200mph.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can tell you I would not buy a GM built tranny to replace the one in my Z now. I would get one that is Stronger and would probly be cheeper, if not just as much for better preformance.

The Z06 has the of power to get to 200 mph the ZR1 just gets over 200 mph.(mfr's) claim

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I think that guy meant by "no brainer" comment was looking at from a performance & driver pleasure point of view. But you're right, if you had a Z06 a taller 1-3 wouldn't make sense unless you had ZR1 hp/trq. However, you seem to make a counter point from a perspective of.. why would anyone on the street need it bc you're doing 120mph at top of 3rd anyway...aka so who needs it bc of the speed. But, by that logic why do have a Z06 that can nearly double most speeds in your town in 1st...aka, who needs that too then...right? Lol. I found this thread looking for the answer he is looking for. So, I think I get his question, although it is a brainer, & not a "no-brainer" lol. Let me try and share what drove my thoughts of changing to ZR1 gearing.

Just as an example...I went to my local back roads for some fun like I have always done growing up. I JUST bought a C6Z, so that's where I took it after I got to know her better (so many puns here...trying to moving past it 🤭)
I found myself in 2nd...right in the power band, BUT, on such a tight road, it was more than the new PS4S tires could handle...so 3rd was required for predictability. However, that dropped the RPMs way below the power band & left me locked in the bottom of 3rd gear. Many ppl know you don't have to shift often on a back road or even a track due to the gearing GM chose. However, speaking from driver's involvement point of view, I'd much rather have more to do than less. Needless to say, it got me thinking of looking into getting closer to a cross gear ratio. In my searches, I found about the ZR1's 5th & 6th are shorter 👍, but then learned 1-3 are taller👎, while 4th is the same 😑. So ideally for more driver involvement, using a ZR1's 5th & 6th gear would more fun when you could use it, like on a track. Especially if you put shorter rear-end gears.

I've also found the 6th gear to be taller than I'd like, even for a OD. It's only real beneficial MPG use is highway long rides. So, if you like doing 80mph & taking longer hwy trips...it's a "no-brainer" to leave them 😉. For a city/local driving (30-60mph) & average hwy speeds 60-73 in Cali I'd be willing to bet the shorter gears & 6th useable at 50mph, that it would wash out for those that don't use longer drives on the highway. Also, more options for back road gear choices, & tighter track set-ups. I'd say it's a person by person basis based on what they use their car for. I know 70+mph hwy MPG isn't mine. It's just so GM could avoid gas guzzler taxes & a few other mass production purposes.

Things might change the more I learn, but as of now I'm aiming for a 5th & 6th from the ZR1 & maybe 3.73's so 2nd can be used in tighter corners, & 3rd to fight off oversteer...without it falling on it's face so hard. 🤷‍♂️. Cheers 👊.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts