Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased or heard of these new "Pure Power" permanent oil filters?

They also claim to filter your oil MUCH BETTER. Not cheap @ $200.00, but you'll never need to buy another oil filter.

Used by Nascar, NHRA, IHRA, Busch, Craftman Truck, MTRA, Pacific Offshore Racing, APBA, Gold Cup Air Racing, etc.

Should I get one?

Do any of our vendor's carry these oil filters?

Their wesite: www.GoPurePower.com

Thanks for your input :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If it "sounds too good . . ." - it must be too good to be true!

Not something I'd take a chance with.

My $.02.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you never have to change the filter again, what about the metal particles floating around in it. When you change the oil there is still going to be old oil in this filter. I myself wouldnt do it, I like knowing all the old oil comes out along with the particles.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
blown 346 said:
If you never have to change the filter again, what about the metal particles floating around in it. When you change the oil there is still going to be old oil in this filter. I myself wouldnt do it, I like knowing all the old oil comes out along with the particles.
A permanent filter? Sounds fishy. I don't think I'd chance it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you check out the web site, the filter is cleanable and resusable.

Here's the description from the web site:

Pure Power! Lifetime Oil Filters are Cleanable and Reusable. Stainless Steel filter media provides for "One-pass" absolute filtering resulting in cleaner oil. Cleaner oil provides longer engine life (saves money), extended oil change intervals (saves money and reduces toxic waste), improved fuel economy (saves money), lower emissions (improves environment).

Filtering element can be cleaned in parts washer or field cleaned with soapy water and easily re-installed with no special tools needed. Field testing by Mack Truck and the U.S. Postal Service, Pure Power! Filter Systems® proved 60% more efficient than other cleanable oil filters systems.

Revolutionary patent pending design is engineered with outstanding quality American made 6061 T6 billet aluminum, CNC Machined housing, duplex woven T304 Stainless Steel filter media and Viton O-rings.

Test results from the premier automotive testing facility Southwest Research Institute.
Flow Rate: SAE HS806 2001 Tested, 20 gpm
Burst Rate: SAE HS806 Ch 9C Tested, 1000 psi
Filtration: SAE J1858 Tested, 90 % more efficient than "throw away" filters

This is the original revolutionary billet design. There is nothing like it, nothing outperforms it!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
vant said:
A permanent filter? Sounds fishy. I don't think I'd chance it.
I concur. I'd like to understand how you can have a permanent filter? Sounds like having a kidney that never needs to pee...the bad stuff has to go somewhere. That's just physics. I would not spend $200 without more information and a written warranty. Will it handle road racing or is it just for street driving. I assume you have to change the synthetic oil at the usual 3k oill drain intervals, yes?

An Amsoil micron oil bypass filter makes more sense if you are looking for super high-performance oil filtration and there is an Amsoil vendor among the Forum members. I may consider this on my daily driver and my fiancee's car.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As stumbo said, you take it apart and clean out all the crap and presto, you have a clean filter. The cleaning process is simple :yeadog:

Well, I bought one and it arrived today.....simply a beautifully machined piece ;)

If you read about it on the website, it filters so much better than throw away filters. This sucker WILL PROTECT my new C5R engine :jammin:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's an article on this Oil Filter in the August edition of Vette Magazine.

Here's some info from their website:

Pure Power! Lifetime CLEANABLE & REUSABLE Stainless Steel Filters®

Pure Power! Lifetime Oil Filter Systems® are the most technologically advanced oil filtration system available. This revolutionary technology consists of multiple patent pending designs for oil filters in a form designed to deliver superior filtration and yet be cleanable and reusable for the lifecycle of any engine. Outstanding quality, American made, 6061 T-6 Billet aluminum housing is designed, engineered and manufactured to last the lifetime of your car, truck, boat or equipment. Deep pleated, duplex woven T304 Stainless Steel filter media has the largest amount of filter area available and provides for "One-pass" absolute filtering. Cleaner oil provides longer engine life, longer oil life, better fuel economy and lower emissions. Maximum oil flow volume doubles the flow of filtered oil. O-rings are Viton®, the ultimate in durable sealing ability. Independent laboratory tested and competition proven to be over 90% more efficient than paper or fiber filters in removing 30 micron and smaller particles (most harmful to engines). Easy installation. No special tools needed. Simple spin-on direct replacement or unique remote models. Guaranteed best fit and NO LEAKS! Helps to protect our environment by eliminating the used oil filter waste stream. (No disposal charges). Through superior filtration, Pure Power! Lifetime Oil Filter Systems can help extend oil drain intervals, thereby reducing the used oil waste stream.

:cheers:

·
Registered
292 Posts
* Sorry, non-supporting vendor link, not allowed *

Here's a link to another stainless steel permanent oil filter with a life time warranty for XXX

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Filters are classified by type as either Screen, Depth or Membrane.

Blood filters for transfusions are commomly Depth flilters. So are the piles of sand and graphite at the water filtration plant.

Membranes can be used to promote an osmotic filtration or semi-permeable filtration.

A screen filter acts like the screen in your backdoor. It all depends on the screen pore size.

The Mobil 1 & K&N oil filter is a depth filter using a filter body filled with synthetic material.

The traditional AC/Fram/Puralator filters are a combination of depth and screen filters, using a thin paper or cellulose membrane that is a screen filter but is spread in pleated folds to act as a screen filter.

Screen filters have been used in line to protect oil scavange pumps and Oberg type filters are screen filters that have long been used.

This Pure Power oil filter is an ultimate SS 304 screen filter that filters down to 35 microns.

Mobil advertises that their filter will filter down to 10 microns.

The problem with tight filters such as the Mobil 1 is that they clog easily and raise pre filter pressures but have a high pressure gradient reducing post filter pressures. If this gradient is too great the bypass valve opens and unfiltered oil is delivered to the engine.

Moroso has data saying that particles 20 micron or less do no damage to the engine. Moroso's racing oil filter filters to 27 microns.

The advantage of a screen filter is that it allows high flows but can channel if not changed often.

I recommend the following:
1. Use a tight synthetic oil filter such as a Mobil 1 on new engines or right after a rebuild.
2. Switch to a high quality traditional filter for street use.
3. Use a high flow , high performance oil filter such as a Moroso racing filter, CM filter or a Pure Power filter for racing applications.

I feel that the Pure Power would make an excellent filter for competition and dual use cars, especially in a remote location and possibly with a dual filter manifold (x2).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts