Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone used this combo? I decided not to install the plates this week because the holes they use to stay in place do not have a corresponding pin on the Carbotech pads. I was afraid they would come loose and be a danger.

Any solutions to this issue?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
We didn't put the tabs on the ends of them because those would prevent them from working on the C6. Our manufacturer does not believe they will move around or fall out without the tabs in place. Physically speaking I would think it would be difficult for them to move around and slide out, but I am unsure. We could make more with the tabs I guess...

I would be testing these on my own car, but I no longer have it, so that is impossible. If anyone else has ideas on this please ring in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ti plates have holes to help mount them to the tabs on the stock pads. Problem is, the Carbotech pads do not have the same tabs so there is really nothing to hold the Ti plates in place. I didn't feel it was worth risking use of the plates since they could cause a problem.

I'm thinking about adhesives that could withstand heat and still allow removal of the plates.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Yes, I understand the issue exactly. The tabs I was referring to were the same as on the pad backing plates themselves that hold them in place on the caliper bracket. If we add those tabs, the plates are sure not to move, but the question is will they move without them in place or not.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just took at look for myself. My Hawk pads had the "nubs", so I didn't even notice the fact that the shields have no tabs on the ends.

This is indeed an issue if you run pads without the "nubs". My suggestion is to use high-temp silicone RTV and glue the plates to the backs of your pads. Silicone itself is a good insulator and should be able to withstand the heat without breaking down.

I used to use ceramic pads instead of Ti, and I always used silicon to hold them in place. It is a slight inconvenience, but they benefits should outweigh the hassle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts