Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just recently completed the installation of the Brey-Kraus harness bar and Sparco 6-point harnesses in my MY Z. I think it all turned out great!

The red is a perfect match to the "Z06" on the seats, and certainly ties in the rest of the red on the car. Whereas the picture isn't a great one, it should give some idea of what the belts look like in the car.

This is a sweet set-up! I highly recommend the bar and harnesses to anyone.

Your opinions? (Again, not a great pic...)

Thanks to Todd for hosting the pic!

-Kirk

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Looks great....

....now your going to have to keep all the young girls away from it.

Just wait till the secretary needs a ride home and you have to "assist" her with the anti-sub belt while she just happens to be wearing a mini!

Be cool and stay focused!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Is this for every day driving? Mind you I am not big on mods of any kind. I am a purest and think every thing should stay just like it came from BG but this seems like a lot of trouble to get in and out of every time. But that is why they make diff. flavors of ice cream so every one can have their own taste. If you like it:cheers: to you.:D

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Rick, this is for autocross and such.

It retains full use of the normal lap belts and the harness tucks oout of the way for normal driving.

Plus harness is not legal on the street.......As I understand its due to no protection in a rollover situation.....

JC

·
Registered
765 Posts
N4C5S said:
Rick, this is for autocross and such.

It retains full use of the normal lap belts and the harness tucks oout of the way for normal driving.

Plus harness is not legal on the street.......As I understand its due to no protection in a rollover situation.....

JC
I have this setup on the way as well - will be doing the install Thursday or Friday.

Total cost, with harnesses for both driver and passenger, was about $960 shipped.:eek: This included the harness bar and everything else needed to bolt/clip the belts.

As for not being street legal, it's because the federal law requires an approved safety restraint system in production vehicles. Since it's impossible for GM to validate (crash test) every aftermarket belt system available, the only belts legal for the street are the tested/validated production ones. Although I would believe that the 6 point system would be a little safer (other than the possible issue with rollover causing the roof to cave).

Anyone received a ticket for using a 4, 5, or 6 point harness instead of the OEM belts?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I was stopped....

...at a maximum effort enforcement road check point in the spring.
Officer asked to see my lic. and reg.. Upon returning he handed me a ticket for no seat belt. I asked why he thought I didn't have a belt on? He replied that he could see the seat belt sign illuminated on my dash when he walked up from behind me on the left side and that he noticed no diagonal shoulder strap from the rear. I opened the door and asked if he had noticed the 3" wide, red, 6 point system that I had ON? he grabbed the ticket, tore it up and walked away!

If they ever asked if it was Federally approved I would tell them, "Yes, they were Internationally approved by the FIA and Nationally by the SCCA." They do have an FIA tag on them.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Lambinator pretty much covered the cost of things (thanks). The break-down of the number rounds out to about 60/40 bar costs to belt costs. Incidentally, the bar and its hardware is simply top notch -- and if you'd like, I'll take a pic of the bar and whatnot, too. It's got this beautiful black crinkle finish that goes perfectly with the rest of the interior. Also, it's not just a single bar, but a beefy bar with rearward bracing and floor-to-bar mounted anit-rotational stabilizing bars. It even has adjustable heim joints at the support bar mounting points. It's just a fine, fine piece. Check out bkauto.com for more info.

The Sparco belts are also top-of-the-line. The release (cam) is a twist release cam that is rumored to be better (easier to release) than, say, the Simpson ones. The belts come in blue, black, and red (also, Sparco makes the Sabelt belts, and they have some cool color schemes as well). Go to sparco.com for info on them.

As far as installation, it was really quite easy. The seats come out in a snap (4 nuts to take off -- and I didn't even remove the driver's seat and/or its electronics from the car). The lap belt hardware goes on easily (decent directions are included). The plastic at the door sill needs to be removed and modified with some cutting -- but the cutting follows a straight line and would be very difficult to mess up. The belts just clip into and out of these lap belt mounts.

The bar was also easy to install, though it's best to have a friend hold the other end of the bar when getting it into position. The bar mounts via the factory seatbelt "sliders" behind your head on the b-pillars. The factory seatbelts are reatained and fully operational.

As far as the harnesses being obtrusive, they simply are not. When not in use, the shoulder harnesses hang behind the seats between the seat and the wall. As I mentioned before, the lap belts (one on each side of the seat) clip out (literally a 2-second operation to take them out). The mounting hardware is out of the way and stays in the car. The sub belt lays infront of/under the seat, out of sight and out of the way. I can see where the picture I took makes it LOOK like the belts are obtrusive -- but then I wanted to show you the belts, and not the belts out of the way. ;)

Finally, with respect to the legality of these belts, well, I imagine that I would have never known that they were illegal if not for hearing it here. The buddy who helped me install this stuff (who has the same set-up) said that he was pulled over at a seat belt check point (with all other traffic), and when the officer came to his car, the officer said "Yes, I guess you sure ARE wearing your belts!" (with reference to him being harnessed in with a 6-point harness). Does that mean that they actually ARE legal? Well, no, I suppose it doesn't. However, in this situation, the harnesses were certainly good enough for the officer checking for belt usage. (Perhaps the law is really only enforced by those who KNOW about the law AND who are interested in being TOUGH about it.)

Now, for a review of the FEEL and EFFECTIVENESS of these harnesses.. WOW! You can simply cram yourself in the seat with these puppies! You're not going anywhere! In fact, these have to be a must-have for autocrossers or anyone who likes to corner hard -- and who's tired of jamming his knees into the door and tranny tunnel and holding onto the shifter to keep from sliding out of the seat. I suspect that I'll have to re-learn the cornering limits of the car now, since I don't have to brace myself anymore. Whereas I had a built-in sense of how hard I was pushing the car by how much I was leaning/bracing in the seat, that's all gone now, since I don't have to fight it anymore. It's just a wonderful thing. :D

Thanks again, folks!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I'm sold :)

Can we get a few more pics of the mounting points, and the various attachment points? And also where you purchased the parts.

Thanks for the info....

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
N4C5S said:
I'm sold :)

Can we get a few more pics of the mounting points, and the various attachment points?

Thanks for the info....

JC
We sure can! :) (I can't host the pics though... If Todd will be so kind as to host a couple more, then I'll get them up tomorrow.)

:cheers:

-Kirk

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Kirk, send them to me, we'll host any pics for you......

Also, where did you buy the parts? And the part #'s

LAPD stocks the bar......but not the harnesses :(

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
fcalmes said:

JC,

You were sold after that terror ride by Ron!! :lol:
You got that right Frank, in any case those harnesses really help you get more from the car in cornering situations.....

But yea, mostly Ron's terror ride :)

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
N4C5S said:
Kirk, send them to me, we'll host any pics for you......

Also, where did you buy the parts? And the part #'s

LAPD stocks the bar......but not the harnesses :(

JC
Very cool, JC! I'll get you some pics tomorrow!

As for where to buy the bar and harnesses, you might want to start with OG Racing in Manassas, VA. They sell the bar AND the harnesses. I got my bar direct from Brey-Kraus (friend of a friend kind of thing, but not normal procedure), and the harnesses from OG. OG is rumored to be cheap on both, and Jamie there was nice and knowledgeable. Go to ogracing.com.

I don't have the part no's -- but bkauto has them on their site. Also, if you were to call OG, they know what you need for a Z06. You need the bar AND the lap-belt/sub-belt hardware (they come in two different packages). As for the harnesses, you want "CLIP-IN" harnesses (as opposed to the bolt-in ones that bolt to some other bars) and clip-in hardware. Finally, you want the 48" "pull down" shoulder straps, and "pull down" lap belts, along with a dual clip-in sub belt.

I have to tell you -- going from the harnesses to the stock seat belt feels UNSAFE! It's pretty wild. There may be times when you don't want to strap yourself in to the harnesses, when the stock belt will get you to the corner store or something, but it just doesn't feel nearly as protective after you've been crammed into the seat with (4) 3" belts and (2) 2" sub belts that come together in a beefy cam at your gut...

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I don't know you seemed to have a problem with the belts after just ONE beer on Saturday, I see trouble ahead.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hcvone said:
I don't know you seemed to have a problem with the belts after just ONE beer on Saturday, I see trouble ahead.:lol: :lol: :lol:
First of all, Carl, that was not your average beer. And secondly, I seem to remeber you not being able to operate a screwdriver or slip a coupler over a throttle body after just TWO beers! :lol:

When you DO have the "Z06 Fest" at your place, you have to make sure you have plenty of that beer on hand. Call the brewery NOW and get some more cases shipped over!

For those who were looking for more pics of the bar and belt mounts, I'm working on getting them up today!

-Kirk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts