Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was also posted in the Z06 section of Corvette Forum.

The car was built on September 7 (Friday) and arrived at Bill Jacobs Joliet on the morning of the 10th (Monday). Amazingly quick delivery. Bob Gualandi called me immediately after checking the car over, and I began making plans to get to Joliet. Fortunately I had decided against flying up there, and planned to rent a car (one way) to get to Joliet, then drive the vette back. Once the car made it thru PDI and prep (to my specs), Bob let me know I could pick it up any time, so Tuesday morning Debby and I picked up an anemic Ford at the rental joint and headed north.

We arrived at the dealership around 5:00 or 5:30 pm, and saw the car parked right in front of the main entrance. It was absolutely gorgeous, with no visible damage or imperfections. The odometer read 3 miles. I had been concerned about orange peel in the paint, due to a number of posts about that, but this car's paint (Mill Yellow) is very nice. Bob met us and gave us a tour of the dealership, including a walk through the lot, service and prep areas, etc. I had never met Bob before, so it was nice to be able to put a face to the voice I had been dealing with for so many months. We completed the transaction, did the obligatory review of all the features, and went for a test drive. Because I didn't want to leave the car overnight in a motel parking lot, Bob was gracious enough to let me leave it inside at the dealer overnight. Bob also provided me with various GM printouts that detailed his various checks on the order. I found out that in July the event code was at 3000, then for some reason GM took it out of the stream, started postponing the TPW, and sent the event code BACK to 2500. I didn't know event codes could go backwards. In any case, the wait for this car was very exasperating for both Bob and I and was the result of GM dragging their feet.

I was so excited that sleep didn't come easy, but bright and early Wednesday morning, we went back to the dealer, picked up the car (now with 8 miles, after the test drive), and hit the road south. I had mapped out a route using Interstate 55 to get out of Joliet without hitting too much traffic, then down State Road 47 south to SR 24, and then east to hiway 1, an old 2-lane that runs all the way down the eastern edge of Illinois. This was a GREAT way to get the car home. The scenery was pleasant, the traffic very light (almost non-existent), and there were lots of little towns along the way that allowed me to use all the gears. I varied the speed, and used as many gears as possible on the road. I'd (for example) put it into 4th and run it up to 2500 RPM, then let off the gas and let it coast down. I was very gentle on the brakes the whole way, but it's obvious that these brakes are very effective.

By the time we got back to Evansville, the engine had seen RPMs up to about 3000 (I'm taking break-in very seriously and methodically). This morning when I drove in to work I let it go up to 3500. The more I use the loud pedal, the stronger it gets. This puppy really wants to GO. I checked the dip stick an hour or two after we got home, and it appears not to have used ANY oil, which I was very happy to see given the problems that many had with the '01s. The dip stick, by the way, seems to have been invented by the same guy that invented corn curls.

Anyway, this is an amazing machine, and finally getting it makes the wait seem like nothing. A few other observations ... The HUD is way cool. The bugs love to land on the yellow paint.. I think they want to suck nectar out of my car. The Bose seemed fine to me. The exhaust sound is incredible .. very constrained at low rpm, but once it gets over about 2K it really starts to growl. I haven't experienced WOT yet (coming soon) but I'll bet it's amazing. The car is SOOOO strong. I am one very happy camper.

It's unfortunate that my delivery day coincided with the tragedy in New York and Washington ... my glee over the car has been in constant conflict with my feelings of anger over these terrorist attacks. Bob is an ex-marine, and had already gotten a call from his recruiter about a possible re-activation by Tuesday morning at 9:00 when he called me. I'm sure he's very personally concerned about all this, but he was a real pro, and didn't let this interfere with the 'delivery experience'. I feel guilty about being so happy about a car, when so many have lost their lives.

I'd like to thank Bob Gualandi and Bill Jacobs Chevrolet. Throughout the course of this long wait, Bob's not only been a salesman, but also a friend, sometimes counselor, and coach (pep talks) as I went thru the ups and downs of the waiting process. When the car finally got built, things really happened fast. I realized this morning as I was filling the tank that this car didn't even exist at this time last week. Amazing.

This weekend, chapter two ... Zaino.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Jerry Congrats!!!

Great write up. Isn't it crazy how those bugs keep humping the Millennium Yellow Z? :lol: Bees love it, misquitos love it, all bugs hump it; it's kind of funny.

As far as the Zaino goes, I kind of wish I would have done it earlier. On my first wash, all the bugs and tar came off the car quite easily. But after about two weeks, things were really sticking to the car and becoming bonded to the paint.

I just Zainoed last night and I had to use some WD-40 to remove some tar on the front of the car and near the wheel wells. Everything came off just fine, but it took hours of extra work.

Good luck with the car, your gonna love those WOT romps. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Congrats on the new Z!!! Gotta love that M/Y:cool: Speaking of bugs humping your car, I found 2 fly's going at it on my hood this afternoon :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Jerry,

Thanks for your great story.My car is going to be built next week so my excitement builds.G:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
cool deal

ill bet your a happy camper .. congrats on your my.. :cheers: :cheers: .. im curently waiting my my from bob at the same dealership and have been waiting as long as you so i know everything you went through im going through right know .. my tpw is 9-17-01 so i hope it stayes on course and i get car soon .. but anway im glad to see you got your car finally .. best of luck with it :guiness: :guiness: ... jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jerry, C O N G R A T S . The smile on your face each time you drive her is incredible.........It gets better and better!!!
Regards, Ken- :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jerry,

CONGRATS! Is the car everything you thought it would be? Mine was built 9/12 and just waiting to hear from the dealer. I'll bet it's great having something new to go out and admire and maybe even rub on a little bit.

Jody

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thx2, it just can't be. You mean I finally have a "date" sooner than someone else. My TPW is 9-24. :p

Who gets a car first or before someone else does not seem very important anymore in lieu of what's happened this week in NYC. Nevertheless, I am glad to be finally seeing light at the end of a very long tunnel.

BTW, I think we ALL are doing OUR small part for the country, by simply buying Z06s. It's good for our economy and the Corvette is perhaps the best known icon of AMERICAN PRIDE. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
dsinned said:
... the Corvette is perhaps the best known icon of AMERICAN PRIDE....
Don't forget Baseball & apple pie :D
... and if they rewrote the song, they'd figure out how to include Microsoft :lol:

Let's just hope people don't freak out and stop spending.
I'm doing my part to fight a recession.. I'm going MOD shopping :D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update ...

Not quite a week since I picked it up. Now has nearly 600 miles, runs like a scared bunny, is solid as a rock, and has burned absolutely NO oil. What a great car! THIS is what Corvettes are about.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Jerry Velders said:
Just an update ...

Not quite a week since I picked it up. Now has nearly 600 miles, runs like a scared bunny, is solid as a rock, and has burned absolutely NO oil. What a great car! THIS is what Corvettes are about.
Jerry.......
Nice write-up,thanks for sharing with us!! I can relate to ALL you have written!!! This MY is with no doubt,the best thing I have ever waited on!! Wasn't really sure of myself after I had ordered it,but now that it is sitting in my garage...I find myself at times just setting up with it...admiring the wonderful color MY is!!

I haven't even had the time as yet to check the oil level..have had so much fun driving it!!

Congrats to you Jerry and may you have MANY happy motoring miles with your new Z06!!

Zman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts