Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title states. i want a helmet thats gonna keep my head in one piece but it has to be super light. i dont want this brain bucket pulling my head all over the place on the turns. has to be full face and some sort of adequate venting no real price limit so exotic materials are ok cause if it aint fun why do it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an out of production simpson voyager style. I have never noticed with this or other helmets that the weight was an issue in a closed cockpit car. You will find that with the face shield down that it gets clostrophobic. That feeling goes away in open cockpit cars where you have some wind that actually goes into the vents.

·
21,394 Posts
Important thing is to try it on and make sure it's comfortable and has a good fit. I've had good luck with Arai helmets.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't think ventilation is going to help you much in a closed cockpit car unless you get a forced ventilation system.

I use a Simpson Shark Sindwinder which is the forced ventilation version of the Shark. This helmet is made out of Simpson's T38 material which is very light (kevlar blend I think).

I mounted the blower an cooler for the forced ventilation system in the trunk. The cooler fit nicely in the little hole in the back of the trunk.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Bell makes a Kevlar helmet that is supposed to be lighter. Simpson may too, but I don't know for sure. I have a Bell M3. It's fiberglass so it's supposed to be heavier, but then again, my Z06 can't corner over a G anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Most important thing is fit. Period.

Don't get hung up on a couple of oz.'s or "look", find something that is comfortable on your head while being truly snug all around! IMHO, FWIW, YMMV ;)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
FWIW, as I understand it, the SCCA is recommending open face helmets for cars with air bags.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Two things I was reminded of at a DE last Monday:
It's not the cornering or acceleration/braking loads that are the problem; it's the sudden stop at impact when your 11 pound head wants to keep moving and your scrawny neck can't hold it. Ask Dale Sr.
Recommended are neck bracing collars, in lieu of HANS devices. I'm going to get one. :idea:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
DennyM said:
Recommended are neck bracing collars, in lieu of HANS devices. I'm going to get one. :idea:
Denny,
The foam neck collars will do almost nothing to help hold your head in an accident. I used to wonder about that as well. But, if you go look at the video on the HANS website which shows a high G accident, I think you'll see that the neck braces don't buy anything given how the head and neck respond to the rapid deceleration. They may be better than nothing, but not by much.

·
Registered
558 Posts
What Brad said. Also if I were you, I wouldn't be out there without a helmet-full face-, 5/6 pt harness w/bar and HANS and then I'd pull the fuses on the airbags. Not sure but I don't think SCCA allows airbags for racing maybe for autocross.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea ill be going back and forth between auto crossing and drag racing. but after fit what models are lightest? what do your helmets weigh? how much willl the hans device slow me down getting out of my car in a hurry? will i be able to get out of the car if the door wont open?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Weight is probably 3-4#'s but if fit properly you don't really notice it. Not sure who makes the lightest helmet may want to check OMP, Stand 21, Simpson etc. The lighter they are, the more they cost! The HANS shouldn't really slow you down tho I have no idea what the tracks require for drag racing in terms of safety equipment. As with other equipment, it's a good idea to practice using it. Some people can get in/out of car with the HANS on, I think that I'm too old and inflexible(jointwise) to do that so I put it on/off in the car. With SCCA road racing, you are generally instructed to stay in the car until told to get out or helped out by a corner worker. In case of leaking gas, I'd try to get out ASAP! Wish I could give you better answers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Trying it on is a big deal. I have nothing against Simpson, but they do not fit me but the Bells do. It is like my head is round and Simpson is for oval heads (or vice-versa). I use the Bell M3 kevlar with a HANS. The Bel M3 saved my life in '01 so I have have real world data.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
ghoffman said:
Trying it on is a big deal. I have nothing against Simpson, but they do not fit me but the Bells do. It is like my head is round and Simpson is for oval heads (or vice-versa). I use the Bell M3 kevlar with a HANS. The Bel M3 saved my life in '01 so I have have real world data.

:jawdrop: Man I'm glad to see the helmet worked!! :yeadog:

Looks like the car took quite a beating :eek:

Peelin' Out
Ted :cheers: :usa:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Glad you made it out of that in one piece. It always amazes me that people will see something like that and still not provide themselves with as much physical protection as possible. I hate to spend money but I hate hospitals and pain a whole lot more. Your helmet and car pics should speak a thousand words. Thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
EDONIS001 said:
yea ill be going back and forth between auto crossing and drag racing. but after fit what models are lightest? what do your helmets weigh? how much willl the hans device slow me down getting out of my car in a hurry? will i be able to get out of the car if the door wont open?
As mentioned above, I'd guess my helmet weighs between 3-4#'s but I've never put it on a scale. The HANS device is really light and I know that is made out of some Kevlar blend type of material. The HANS device itself wouldn't limit me getting out of the car, but I'm not sure even I (as small as I am) would be able to get out of the vette if the door won't open. Have you ever tried climbing out the window on a Z06 with a helmet on? Try putting a helmet into an open window... not a lot of clearance there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im pretty slim so if i can get my head out with a helmet the rest will follow. i spotted an omp carbon/kevlar one but it was 1000+ bucks im just trying to get a ballpark on weights and see personally if its worth the extra greens for the lighter helmet.

thats one hell of an accident you were in how did you manage to take half the door clean off and keep the window glass intact?

my uncle t boned a driver who ran a redlight on his bike and midflight rubbed a bus bench and gouged his pretty bad also. ive had an open face helmet but i just dont feel safe with it and the idea of something hitting me full force into my soft flesh makes me cringe.

·
Registered
417 Posts
EDONIS001 said:
thats one hell of an accident you were in how did you manage to take half the door clean off and keep the window glass intact?
Thank god that turn 3 at NHIS had tires stacked up. The car hit sideways after the RR tire got cut. Why the door panel got torn off but did not break the window is a mystery.
The moral of this is to get as much of the best safety equipment you can. It is amazing to me that people have no problem with spending thousands on wheels, head and cam packages, etc but whine about $400 for a top notch helmet and $850 for a HANS.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as long as the helmet passes all the requirements i want the lightest i can get after fit. i will be looking for a cage in the next 3 months. safety is more important than speed right now but im having a hard time picking a cage thats "low key" and unoticeable. is there a required gap between the cage and the roof of the car? are you guys covering your cages or painting them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts