Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when picking up the car,what should i be looking for,damage etc? should i have them put it on a lift to look for rocker damage?does anyone have a(list) of things to look for?would you use a bra for a 300 mile ride home? thanks for any and all input steve. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Look around for scratches, swirl marks from buffers, etc.

Try and get all the paperwork that was in the car - buildsheets, etc.

Make sure all plastic lug nut caps are tight. If they installed the wheel locks, make sure you have the four original lug nuts they took off!

Tire inflator kit should be in trunk. Z06 owners portfolio with tire guage, notepad, owner's manual etc. TWO key fobs and keys. Window sticker. If they install a front license plate for you, make sure they give you the front bumber 'corvette' beauty cover. It's what was removed when the lic plate went on.

In the opinion of someone who works in the painting dept at BG that I happened to talk to last Monday, NO BRAS ! If you have to have a bra, use only for very short periods of time, and after the paint has completely cured. Their suggestion was to use the clear cling stuff (helicopter tape), but again, only for short durations. Bras will rub against the paint, trap moisture and grit, and taking them on and off is like using sandpaper. Must be used by someone who knows what they're doing.

Step on the accelerator and make sure all 405 horses are there /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Museum Delivery Mirrors Memory Mats
FRC Partition
NCM Life #637
Corvette Atlanta
C5 Registry
DHC Member (Dead Husbands Club)

My Museum Delivery

Signature by Jason

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Make sure to look underneath the rocker panels to make sure it didn't get scraped up when loading/unloading off the transporter(s). I have heard this happens alot.

Also check the oil level -- even though the shop supposedly does it. Can't be too cautious with this machine /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I had 2 lug nut covers and a wheel weight fly off at excessiv--- cough! highway speeds...I'd check those for looseness, fingertight is sufficient...

Rocker panel damage seems to be the most common, look for cracks under the car on the body closest to the tires.

Also, look for scratches on common areas, belt buckle scratces on rear deck, top of front and rear "bulges". Check emblems, heard of a guy getting one with the ends of the flags broken off from the dealer wash.

Yank parking brake firmly a few times with button depressed, if it pops, have em fix it.

When you get it home, remove the wheel lock key from the car, put it somewhere safe. You have no need for it on the road anyway...

Be sure to get all the goodies, manual with Z06 cover, tire gauge, and pen/notepad and video.

Oh, the most important thing. Check on DIC buttons. If it says GAGES, demand that the dealer replace the cluster....ahh, just pulling your leg on that one /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif But it is one of the great mysteries of C5 ownership.

JC

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ,people,did not know the car came with a pad and pen,to cool!steve. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would make sure that no one from the dealership takes your new beauty for a joy ride before you get it. I have seen it happen to others and demand that I watch my car come off the car hauler if at all possible. We all love the Vette new Z's and can't wait to drive them, so just imagine how many people at the dealership would jump at any opportunity to run one at WOT for a little bit BEFORE you get it broken in properly. Hopefully your dealership is among the many that are respectable and won't do that, but just be cautious.

S

·
0 Posts
Where should the lug-nut lock key be located in the car. I can't find mine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
What's listed above is pretty much all you have to look for, but in addition, make sure you get the little mettal tag so that they can cut you new keys if needed. Also, look way underneath the front end of the car to the black metal brackets holding on the front skirt. Make sure that they are not scraped. If they are, someone was careless in parking your car. Make sure as well that the plastic lug nut covers are tight (one of mine were loose.) And don't forget to have them mail you a copy of the new brochure as it has not yet been released. Take your camera or a video camera as I did, and snap away. It will truly be a day to remember /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif O ya, 300 miles shouldn't be bad at all, I drove mine 850 miles to get it home. Just make sure you break it in properly (vary speed & RPM's, no excessive speeds, etc...)
Good Luck, and I hope all goes well. Your in for lots and lots of fun /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif Let us know how it goes. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Speaking of checking the car over before accepting delivery. I just came from a dealer that had no Z06s yet. They did have a lone 2002 Corvette parked wwwaay out of sight on the lot, where nobody could see it. I, of course, "walked" the entire lot and spotted it. Much to my horror, the front end was severely damaged. That's right. A brand new Corvette already thrashed by some careless fool probably during transport or unloading from the hauler.

From the looks of the front fascia, it looked like it literally feel off the transport delivery truck.

In the case of this particular C5, a rag top Quicksilver, the damage too obvious to be ignored, and the car was probably pulled from inventory. That's one less, highly in demand C5 to go around.

Just goes to prove, when it's not their car, "other people" who may be involved with the pre-delivery process can be blatantly careless. The guy who caused this car ($53k sticker) to become so badly damaged before ever reaching the paying customers ought to be fired. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts