Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i am currently looking to pick up an electron blue z06 in the dallas area. i initially wasn't going to be ready for a couple months (getting married next month) but i just happened across an infiniti dealer here with a used one on their lot. stopped to just give it a look, and i found out they offer 3 months no payment. so this may just be one i could work. it's an EB 2002 z06, with 21K miles on the clock. salesman said it's still under factory warranty, wasn't sure for how many more months. anyways, looks to be in great shape and bone stock, except i noticed on the test drive the CAGS was disabled, so may have some things done to it. one thing, when i got done driving and turned it off, almost made that sound where the engine keeps trying to run, won't turn off. it was very brief, maybe 1/2 a second, but wanted to know if there's anything to look for on these... this in particular , and any other things to look out for. they're asking 33,900 and said they could work a little. car was amazing, i love the EB z06, been my dream car for a while. certainly a lot different than my 99 mustang gt. anyways, i know i want to get on it good before i actually decide to buy it, and get the original owners info to contact him. any other advice?

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
EB is a sure good choice :thumb: , but are you sure the CAGS was off? because it doesnt come on all the time, you can try sometimes and it doesnt. as far as the warranty , I dont know :NoNo:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey slow99 the noise you heard when you turned off the car was most likely the clutch rattle. If you turn off the car with the clutch down it wont make the noise. Try it next time.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
zmokkin said:
Hey slow99 the noise you heard when you turned off the car was most likely the clutch rattle. If you turn off the car with the clutch down it wont make the noise. Try it next time.
I agree the noise is normal and it is mentioned in the owners Video available on this site, but why would anyone put a car in neutral and then shut it off ?

If indeed that is the noise, tell the Dealer that something may be wrong with the car and to knock a few thousand off the price. :rofl:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Always lift with your legs. :lol:

CAGS disconnect is no big deal. Many dealers do it before delivery when asked. :yeadog:

The rattle is normal and that is a good suggestion to bring up to lower the price. :D

Good idea to run a CarFax and put the car on a lift. Many times you can pick-up on major damage that was covered up. What kind of oil filter is on the car -- GM, Amsoil or Walmart? Tells you if the previous owner was anal. Plus it is a great view! :coo:

Check the owners manual. Many times people file interesting receipts in the binder. :p

Check the lines, make sure all panels and gaps line up. Even a minor tap can throw off panel gaps. There was a Z "convertible" that was built from a total that was listed on here not to long ago. You can see that some of the gaps were not right. Check under the carpets for mold or wet spots and interior seat bolts for rust incase the car was a floater. :crazy:

There may be a local Z06vette guy that would be happy to help you look at it. Always good to have a non-involved observer with you as your eyes may be glazed over with lust. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The engine wanting to keep running is not normal. What is normal is if you put the car in neutral and let the clutch out, you may hear some slight rattle or sound like "marbles" in the tranny. It should still turn off quickly when the key is moved to the off position.

The mileage is so-so, not high not low. $34K is a little high. You can certainly find 02s for a couple of thousand less than that. I am sure there are a few listed in the forum's "for sale" section.

I would also check into the warranty status. If the standard warranty is still good, you may have a little time to search for a good price on the GMPP extended warranty. If it already has GMPP it can transferred to you for $35. If the standard warranty has expired, then you have to take your chances on an after market warranty which is a gamble at best.

Good luck!

Don

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies guys, first off, the CAGS, i shifted from 1st to 2nd at least 6 times on the test drive, well under 3K rpm, went into 2nd fine. not really concerned about it, just will have to contact original owner to find out if anything else was done, and most importantly the vehicle history. i know 34K is a little on the high end, they said they'd work with me, so i figure if they'll go down to 32K and still give me 7K on my trade, that's what i'm hoping for. regarding the shut off, i put it in neutral before i took my foot off the clutch then killed it, simply trying to be as safe as possible (didn't want it to lurch forward onto the sidewalk! and i was pumped to be driving it and didn't want to make a bonehead move!) when i killed it, just sounded like it wanted to keep running, maybe a 1/2 second or so. or it could be it's a different car, not what i'm used to for the last 5.5 years and is normal? so far i've gotten 3 replies with "it's normal , no big deal", and one stating it's not normal and could be a problem...so anyone else have any input on this matter?

and, sidenote, externally, the car was absofreakinglutely gorgeous! then again, it's my dream car, so??? as long as i don't get any negative feedback regarding the mechanics, and the dealer will go down to 32K and a 7K trade in value, i might pull the trigger on this car this week. thanks again guys for the insight! i've been reading the board for a couple months now, great source of information

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
As long as you keep the clutch pedal in when shutting off, this sound will not be heard, don't worry on that. Make sure you put it on a lift and check under side. Look for leaks in the rear differential and any damage to the rocker panels for cracks. How are the tires, tread depth, they can be expensive to replace? Have the dealer run the vin and get a printout of all warranty work that was done to the car. Then take a deep breath and take another drive and check it out again.
Good Luck and keep us updated :cheers:

Jack

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips, Jack...

took the fiancee to see it tonight on the way to dinner. i love the car's looks and hope this doesn't push me into doing something rash that i need to think about, but all i can think is "god i want that car!!" and if they'll come down to 32 like i want, again, i might just drive this thing home. any dallas z06-ers that would be willing to come with me and check this thing out? it's in plano at crest cadillac/infiniti/isuzu. i still want to talk to the original owner, salesman told me tonight they have a call in to him, waiting to hear back. i know about everything there is to know about 99-2004 stangs, but admittedlly am a novice on z06's. i have just read up, and have been trolling this site for about 2 months. so again, any dallas area z06 members that would be willing to go help me look at this car, please post a reply. certainly would be at least a beer or 2 in it for you! thanks again for the replies, keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also, any good vette shops in the area that i could take this to and have checked out before i buy it, please post up. i have an excellent garage me and my better half use, but if there is a vette oriented shop that's respectable and knowledgeable, i'd feel better letting them give it a very good look.

·
Registered
234 Posts
the run on for 1/2 a second could most likely be bad gas, or the dealership didn't put in premium fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
slow99 said:
also, any good vette shops in the area that i could take this to and have checked out before i buy it, please post up. i have an excellent garage me and my better half use, but if there is a vette oriented shop that's respectable and knowledgeable, i'd feel better letting them give it a very good look.
Give 21st Century Muscle Cars a call on Tarpley Road in Carrollton. They're a Lingenfelter outlet that has a great tech named Andy. Tell John Page (owner), that "Loud Mouth Red" sent you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
picked it up,

they came down a little, gave me more than i expected on my trade, so...... the 02 EB z06 is sitting in my gargage!!!! amazing, amazing, amazing, but i'm preaching to the choir here, you guys know the feeling! still trying to track down the owner and nab that DVD, wasn't in the car. and it's still under factory warranty til august, will start looking at the GMPP in july.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
slow99 said:
they came down a little, gave me more than i expected on my trade, so...... the 02 EB z06 is sitting in my gargage!!!! amazing, amazing, amazing, but i'm preaching to the choir here, you guys know the feeling! still trying to track down the owner and nab that DVD, wasn't in the car. and it's still under factory warranty til august, will start looking at the GMPP in july.
Congrats and welcome to the club :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome! :z:

Going to be time to mod -- great source for ideas and instructions! :yeadog:

Going to have to post some pics, that is what the gallery is for! :D

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
slow99 said:

Congrats on your new Zee :z: :z:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it's got the stock z06 chrome wheels. do these have a lug nut key, is this something i will have to have the dealer provide? the lug nuts don't appear to be locking, just from the looks of the nuts.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
slow99 said:
it's got the stock z06 chrome wheels. do these have a lug nut key, is this something i will have to have the dealer provide? the lug nuts don't appear to be locking, just from the looks of the nuts.
They could be stock or after market chromed wheels. Chrome was not an option, they were all just clear coated. Either had to have them chromed or buy an after market set. You should not have locking nuts on them, unless the previous owner put them on.
Congrats on your new Z and welcome to the club. :z:

Jack

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Only the 04 lemans edition had chrome wheels. Most other chrome wheels are after market and in my opinion are lesser quality than the stock aluminum wheels. I would ask the dealer where the stock wheels are. The 02 and later stock aluminum wheels are cast where as the 01 are forged.

slow99 said:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!!! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts