Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all, i have spent my allotted funds on the new Z for now, so no zaino YET. i have read all the posts, and there are a few differences in procedure. this is what i've gathered is the general concensus, and what i'm picking up tonight to wash the Z.

we already have armor all car wash soap.

i'm thinking of picking up 2 microfiber mitts for the handwash, 2 100% egyptian cotton bath towels for the drying. a spray nozzle, some chrome wheel cleaner (hot wheels if they have it), some tire black, a bucket for use of washing the z only, couple sponges, maybe a soft brush for the wheels...or is the sponge best, or might not even need it with the hot wheels?

sound about right, let me know!

thx

·
21,378 Posts
Sounds OK to me but might be a bit of over kill. I use some kind of car wash detergent that comes in a one gallon jug. I'm not sure of the name. I put a couple ounces of this stuff in a bucket with water. I use a mitt on the car and I wash the whole car with it, wheels get washed last. Then I dry the car with old bath towels. After I'm done, the mitt and towels go in the wash for the next time. Whenever I wax the car I hit the wheels, usually 4X a year when I go to car shows. This regiment works for me. I just can't see spending a whole lot of time and money on extra products. I use Zaino but to tell the truth, I think McGuire's works just as well. One thing I've noticed as the people who look at your car at cars shows usually don't look at them as hard as you do.

And when I'm done with the car, I'll kick back, have a :guiness: and admire my handywork. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree on the McGuire's part. I think it works just as good as the Zaino. But to each is own.
I was the car down, dry it w/ a shammy, then use the McGuires Quick Detail and a microfiber towel to clean it up a little better. Black is such a pain to get clean, so the quick detail helps.
I use the invisa glass (think that is what it is called) in the can for the glass.
McGuires wipes for the interior and a microfiber cloth to dust from time to time.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Z06 Butterfly said:
I agree on the McGuire's part. I think it works just as good as the Zaino. But to each is own.
I was the car down, dry it w/ a shammy, then use the McGuires Quick Detail and a microfiber towel to clean it up a little better. Black is such a pain to get clean, so the quick detail helps.
I use the invisa glass (think that is what it is called) in the can for the glass.
McGuires wipes for the interior and a microfiber cloth to dust from time to time.
I wouldn't recommend a natural Chamois. It sucks all the wax off the paint of your car. I'd go with a microfiber towel called the Big Blue Towel. Works great for drying your car.

Sal

·
Registered
373 Posts
slow99 said:
first of all, i have spent my allotted funds on the new Z for now, so no zaino YET. i have read all the posts, and there are a few differences in procedure. this is what i've gathered is the general concensus, and what i'm picking up tonight to wash the Z.

we already have armor all car wash soap.

i'm thinking of picking up 2 microfiber mitts for the handwash, 2 100% egyptian cotton bath towels for the drying. a spray nozzle, some chrome wheel cleaner (hot wheels if they have it), some tire black, a bucket for use of washing the z only, couple sponges, maybe a soft brush for the wheels...or is the sponge best, or might not even need it with the hot wheels?

sound about right, let me know!

thx
I use Zaino for a couple of products, Z1,Z-2, Z-6, but bang for the buck wise Maguair's has some real good products. I was a former #26 wax and Gold Class user.

For as much as the Zaino Z-7 or car wash costs, you are better off getting a gal of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze M6201
Carwash Shampoo & Conditioner - 1 Gallon or Meguiar's Mirror Glaze G10464 Deep Crystal Car Wash. Or stay with the Armorall.

I have almost everything you can describe for car wash: mirco fiber absorbers, microfiber mitts, sheepskin mitts, sheepkin chamois, sponges, Q tips, dusters, silicone squeegees, applicators,brushes: tooth, body, fender, wheel, detail, yada, yada, etc, etc.

I find myself going back to real basics, using the 100% towelling, the most either in bath hand or even face towel size. I also have had good luck with those 20-42 in a pack 100% cotton toweling. The biggest fear and enemy is to cross contaminate or rub picked up dirt onto other areas.
So the value pack lets you do say a specific and/or problem area like engine bay, door openings etc etc and if you get them dirty or too wet, chuck em in the washer (use ONLY liquid detergent to WASH.

Unless you have multiple microfiber towels, you would tend to rinse them in water and continue to use it. This of course increases the chance of cross contamination.!!!???

Remember also, it is a matter of WHEN, not IF you drop one of those higher priced micro fiber towels or mitts or sponges on the dirt ridden ground!!!!! :eek:o: :NoNo: With a pack of cotton towels, I put the dropped one in the rinse water, squeeze it out, dump the rinse water and put new in and throw the towel in the WASH!!! Then use another towel. With the microfiber towels, mitts or sponges, you are out of commission untill you put it through its own wash cycle.

I would HIGHLY recommend multiple buckets!! (min of two: up to 5) :lol:

1. soap bucket

2 rinse bucket

even

3 fine rinse bucket

4 soap bucket and
5.rise bucket

(if you are doing multiple cars like I do and want to attack wheels and undercarriage at the same time as smoother body parts.) If you do; use separate mitts towels, etc, for the grimemier areas.

Lastly, think about the fact that brushes over time WILL scratch the clearcoat on the forged wheels for example. I only use the brushes on wheel and fender wells and occassionally in the engine bay or undercarriage ONLY, not on ANY paint or wheels with clearcoat which is almost 99% of the alloy products out there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, yeah, i'm thinking the mitt for the body , and sponge strictly for the chrome wheels.

thanks guys

·
Registered
373 Posts
Happy detailing! In weaker moments, I sometimes think this is a disease :drunken:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Brush for rims

Here is a link to a brush that I use to clean the inside of the rims. http://www.topoftheline.com/ezmotdetbrus.html Hate all that brake dust. I tried a lot of different brushes and homemade contraptions but none work near as well as this. It's really made for detailing motorcycles but works great on the car. Very durable too.

Feel free to edit this since the company is not a supporting vendor. Just thought it was a nice brush and have not seen it anywhere else

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
All good stuff.
I (and anyone using stock pads) have a running battle with brake dust.
I have a 16" wheel brush that I use on the wheels (inside) and I have a nylon "bottle brush" that I use to get behind the spokes and on/around the calipers.
When I remove my wheels (xchanging between street and autox sets), I wax the wheel inners with a hard acid-resistent paste wax ... makes cleaning them easier. :zboobie:
And, on Jub Jub's theme ... I say with Bud Light during cleaning . :jammin:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i'm a miller lite man, but i hear what you're saying! i just put the ceramics on a week ago, and bye bye brake dust. i put up with that all of one week, and i am not tracking the car so, one of the first things i did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts