Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac XLR planning update

With the Cadillac XLR being delayed for five months there are a lot of plans to be altered to fit our new schedule. Everything from production build schedules, construction plans and employment timelines had to be adjusted. Our goal is to make this five month delay work to our advantage, said Susan Sweeney, General Assembly Area Manager.

As a team we’ve pulled together a plan that meets the needs of the plant.

We know there are a lot of questions regarding the delay, so here’s a brief Question and Answer series:

Q: How does the delay affect our construction plans?
A: There are many projects that will continue as scheduled because they are so far along in the processs. However, many of the construction projects, such as general assembly tool installation, will be delayed into early summer. The plant’s goal is to have the majority of construction done by August.

Q: What is the plant’s plan to deal with the extra number of people we have since the XLR has been delayed?
A: The plant has jointly developed a voluntary, five-day, 40 hour hands-on training session focusing on General Motor’s Manufacturing System and teambuilding. Extra employees will be used to backfill for employees attending the training. Look for more information about this dynamic training session in next week’s Vette Gazette.

Q: When will we see XLR production start in the plant?
A: Production build schedules are still under review. Most likely we will start some production for the XLR this October. Like any new car or truck launch, the ramp up to full production is somewhat of a lengthy process. As soon as we have a definite schedule, we’ll share the information.

Editor’s note: The XLR was introduced for the first time as a production unit this week at the International Auto Show in Detroit. In fact, the Bowling Green team built the foundation of the car on display. The press ranted and raved about the car finding it absolutely spectacular. They just couldn’t get enough of the car. Hopefully, we’ll have video footage to share with all of you showing the car’s fantastic debut at the auto show.

News:

Corvette webmaster Roger Downs reports that more than 1,000 people have hit on the plant’s website as of this week. Word is just getting out about our new site so the numbers should escalate in the near future, Downs said. Our site will also become a link on the National Corvette Museum’s website, which will increase its visibility. To check out our website, click on www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com. Most recently, tour information was added to our site and callers are asked to check there for the best way to make a reservation for a group tour.

On the job

(First name removed) Crockett is on the job in Chassis, group 30. He hired on with General Motors when Corvette added a second shift in 1984, but was laidoff a year and a half later when the shift came to an end. Eight long years later, Crockett was recalled to the company and a job he had grown to love. I was excited when I got the job at GM, he said, and just as excited when I got to go back to work after the layoff.

He remembers that he was one of just a few hundred people locally out of thousands who applied) who landed a job on Bowling Green’s second shift. His job building the world class sportscar is subassembling the left front fender and installing it on the car. The fender is attached by carefully shooting seven screws that holds the fender on the frame of the car. Crockett also determines which fenders receive export lights and Z06 emblems and apply them to the fender. He also hangs the correct headlight door covers to each job for installation down the line. I’ve been doing this same job since the C5 was introduced, he said.

It’s a job that keeps me busy, but one I enjoy. The Louisville native attended Western Kentucky University in the early 60’s, completing a General Studies degree. Crockett is currently helping his Yugoslavian national wife (of two and a half years) go through all the red tape to become a U.S. citizen. He also has a grown daughter who lives in California. A one-time Corvette owner, Crockett says he liked owning a 1971 Corvette convertible but sold it when somebody stopped by his house and made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

GM OFFERS NEW INCENTIVE TO CUSTOMERS

GM last week kicked off 2002 with GM Overdrive, offering $2002 customer cash on the purchase or lease of any new 2001 or 2002 Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Buick, Oldsmobile or Cadillac car or truck through February 28. GM and its dealers are coming off an extremely successful marketing effort with ‘Keep America Rolling’ and we intend to continue our sales momentum, said Bill Lovejoy, group vice president of GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. ‘GM Overdrive’ reflects our sales leadership and confidence in our industry-leading lineup of innovative new products. GM Overdrive retail advertising will begin during tonight’s Rose Bowl National Championship game on ABC-TV. Additionally, the Rose Bowl halftime report has been entitled the GM Overdrive Halftime Report.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks JC! I think this addition to the Forum is going to be very benificial over time. :cool:

Mark

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks JC,

I like to read what the plant is doing.G:)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I understand the

Interest rate is going to 6.9% APR, on the 18th.................
Can ANYONE explain WHY??
A particular forum dealer is getting lower rates for "Perfect", credit customers NOW, than the 5.9...............whassup???
Anyone with idea??/:-?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts