Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Last weekend, we followed the Troy-Corvette Club up to their sponsoring dealearship (BUDS). There was about 20-25 Vettes ranging in age followed by one blue firebird. This is were I ordered my EB/ModRed a few weeks ago. I asked the salesman about the order number, sequence number, etc. I've never "ordered" a new car so I dont know what these terms you guys through around mean yet. Anyways, he seemed to know exactly what I was refering to and said that GM had not given a number yet. I asked about his original estimate of delivery at the end of January. He said it might be delayed due to a "rumor" that ALL GM plants were shutting down for the xmas holidays and staying closed down through January. That means than if my car is built in mid December that I should take delivery in January some time. If it is not built by the holiday shutdown, and the plant stops production for 6 weeks (again - rumor....) then I will not be getting the car until march or later? Have you guys heard any info on this? Why would GM do this if they sell every vette they can make? And... why would the other plants for all other cars shut down too? With the 0%, GM is selling cars like never before and literally "stealing" sales from next year. Seems strange to me. I dont want to start some huge debate on this by "spreading" the rumor. I'm just curious if anyone has heard the same story?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have serious doubts that the Corvette plant will be closing for 6 weeks. Will other GM plants close?? Possibly, due to the downturn in the automotive market, but they will keep plants open that are selling, and they sell every Corvette they can make!!

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I heard basically the same thing. I placed an order with a small dealer here in TX on Nov. 8. He is not a huge Vette dealer, and thus he has less allotments than most. He told me my car would get a production # in Dec., be built in Jan, and be delivered in Feb. of '02.

He did say that the Vette plant will dramatically slow production during December due to the holidays, and that's one reason it would take a bit longer.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
It is my understanding that the plant will be closed next week for Thanksgiving and again for one week for Christmas. We were just allocated 8 02 Z06s for this weeks builds. I dont think that would happen if they were going to close fore 6 weeks.:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
GM Shutdown(s)

GM has for years and years shut down at Thanksgiving, and for
the period from Christmas Eve day thru the day after New Years.

If your dealer cannot give you an order number, even a
preliminary order number, then he has not entered your
vehicle into the system.

Even if he only got 10 vettes a year, and entered 100, he
would have 100 order numbers.

Suggest that you look further into the info you are getting,
usual translation is: Super Price, but no car available.

Hope that is not the case.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, Bob. I will look into it further. :) I know a number of people who have bought from this dealer, so I believe everything is on the up-and-up...but sincerely appreciate your thoughts on this!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.

Thanks. I'll get with the dealer in the next day or so and ask for an order number. If I get a number, then what? What can I do with it?

Thanks again

ZZZZZ06

1 - 8 of 8 Posts