Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Super White Zenon Bulb replacement

I'm the new guy to this forum looking for some help.

Has anyone out there replaced the stock halogen high and low beams on their Z06? I just purchased some Super White Zenon bulbs but am concerned that they may get hot enough to melt the plastic lens on the head lights. The low beams are 80 watt and the high beams are 100 watt. The rep said my stock wiring harness should handle the new lights with no problem. Also does anyone know of any problems taking out and replacing the old bulbs?
:(

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
You will need the euro housings $75 each and from what I understand the stock wiring will not handle those bulbs. I'll try and get you the link for the harness when I get home later.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gmblk3,

The bulbs are 80watt and 100 watt Super White Zenon. The rep from coolbulbs.com said they should install with no modifications. Sorry for the mislead regarding Plasma bulbs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI,
I finally installed the 80 and 100 watt Super White Zenons into my stock light lenses. Then the other night I took a one hour cruise and had no problems! They are brighter and have a blue tint. No adjustments are needed and the installation was simple. :cool:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
02blkZ06 said:
FYI,
I finally installed the 80 and 100 watt Super White Zenons into my stock light lenses. Then the other night I took a one hour cruise and had no problems! They are brighter and have a blue tint. No adjustments are needed and the installation was simple. :cool:
Did you see a marked increase in light, or just a different color??

:cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a marked increase in brightness. However I don't have anything to compare them to other than the stock lights. But for about $70.00 dollars total for both high and low beams their much more cost effective than spending $300.00 + for the Euro conversions. They only take about 10 minutes to install. Plus the Blue tint make them look cool!:D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
02blk......

Which numbers did you order??? there are a bunch of #'s in the wattage you listed. This might sound dumb, but how many bulbs does the job take for highs and lows.....2 or 4??

I don't quite have my Z yet, put am starting to amass a pile of light upgrades for when it arrives.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Z0000006,

You will need:

2 low beam lights----order # 9006 known as HB-4, 80 watts

2 High beam lights---order # 9005 known as HB-3, 100 watts

I ordered mine through

They where at my door in two days:D

You'll love them!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your Welcome:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
From that page on CoolBulbs...

Which ones did ya get?

146165 9005 PLASMA™ Super White Super White 100 WATT $32.00
148509 9006 Icy Hot™ Gold Amber 55 WATT $10.00
1193276 9006 Icy Hot™ Gold Blue/White 55 WATT $10.00

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Stogo.............

I just ordered last night:

PN Product $
146165 100 watt plasma(pair) 32.00
146169 100 " " " 32.00

This is how my invoice looked

I think they have a typo on the wattage

Basically 9005 Plasma, and 9006 Plasma

Looks like your order rolled over to the 3300 status too.....One more and our orders are broadcast for production!

:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's right, we bad!

Cool, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry you guys are having trouble getting your bulbs. I got mine in two after the order was placed.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Just a follow up FYI -
These bulbs produce more light and subsequently more heat, we have never heard of these type of bulbs harming any headlight lenses because most lenses are a high strength polycarbonate that is very resistant to both heat and impact. But because of the current draw almost doubling it sometimes can put a strain on your wiring. The best option is to buy the Plasma Super White bulbs and the Heavy Duty Wiring Harness, this gives you clean power right from the battery with maximum reliability. Or you can try a set of Plasma Super White bulbs first and frequently check the connectors on the back of the bulbs to see if they are overheating or appear to be melting. If this occurs you will need to buy a Heavy Duty Wiring Harness to run these bulbs.

Note recommends the use of a heavy duty Harness due to the possibility of melting your OEM wiring harness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts