Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know what section to post this in, but here goes....

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I swapped my stock 04 Z exhaust for a Bullet system. Great system, but until I get header and an intake, I decided to swap back to the stock exhaust. Took the Bullets off and proceeded to put the stock system on. Got the left side on and then went to the right side. Well while I was trying to bolt up the rubber hanger where the muffler part is, I pushed the u-bolt up into the frame. There is a u-bolt that hangs down from the frame and that is where the rubber piece gets bolted on by two nuts. So now the u-bolt is in the frame and I have to get at it. The only way I see how is to remove the rear facia and that piece of styrofoam that goes around the rear part of the frame. It's hollow, so if I can remove that, I can get the u-bolt and put it back down through the holes to bolt up the rubber piece that holds the muffler on. Anyone know how to remove the rear facia and the styrofoam piece? Hopefully someone can help....the Z is out of commission. I don't want to jimmy up something, because the that u-bolt will forever rattle around the frame. Please help......thanks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sounds like something that would happen to me :D

I haven't the wildest idea what to suggest you try, but there are some sharp folks on this site that have taken their cars apart like a Christmas puzzle. Hopefully one or more of those folks will chime in with some advice. :thumb:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Get a big magnet and slide it back & forth and see if you can't get it to drop back down.
It's simple and low tech but it's all I got. :blush:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Removing the rear fascia is pretty easy. Just a bunch of torx screws for the most part. Hope you can reach inside the frame rail though, I thought the ends were capped, or blocked by a crossmember.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses folks. I was able to get the u-bolt back down. Bought a pen magnet from auto parts store, but the head was too big for the holes where the bolts come out. Found a another pen magnet with a smaller head at Lowe's. Probably the best four dollar tool I've ever bought. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts