Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. So I've seen the plug wires as a "mod" and I just don't get it. For the color, look, etc - great. But for torque??? Please educate me - show me the data.

OBDII detects and records engine misfire. So we should be able to see the difference in the misfire stats, right? Anyone have nums?

In the good ole days you put an MSD, Accel, etc ignition on the car with good plug wires and a good coil.

Those were the old days. To get a LEV (Low Emission Vehicle) rating and lean burn combustion, you need an efficient and effective ignition. That's one of the reasons GM put a coil for each cylinder, went distributorless, etc. Those coils are very expensive. The plug wires are also VERY short. This is a Great ignition.

What's the scoop? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
In my case, your singin' to the choir! :D I agree, and so do a number of folks I talked to who know a lot more about building engines (both street and race) than I do. Our wires would only need changing if they are failing or as a part of a total revamp/upgrade of the ignition system.

One of the folks I talked to does a lot of ignition systems for a variety of professional racers (including the Unsers and Andrettis) and is based locally. He upgraded my older vettes with MSDs and all kinds of other items such as wires, plugs, etc. But, he told me, with the possible exception of the plugs, leave the rest alone unless I was contemplating major engine enhancements....

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
When I am asked about plug wires, I say, "a good quality wire, like Taylor or MSD, etc...will ensure the best spark possible. I doubt you will gain anything with them, but, they are better quality than stock. If you want a blue or red wire set of better quality, then we can provide them. "

Since we have more than Exit28 as vendors here, maybe other vendors have a different take. I'd be willing to read whatever thye have to say.

RG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts