Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the shop manuals have to say about the following codes?

PO300-RMD: Random Misfire Detected
PO332: Knock Sensor 2 Circuit - Low Input Bank 2

Has anyone had these codes and successfully fixed whatever was wrong? My car is driving me crazy!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Two problems. Possibly related. The knock sensor code says one of the two knock sensors is malfunctioning. I don't know if it's the front or rear, I'd guess rear. They're located in the engine valley, under the intake manifiold. They have been known to fail. If you're getting really bad knock, that might fool the PCM into thinking there'd been a misfire, and that would explain the P0300 code.

There is a known problem with chafing of the fuel injector wiring harness. My car had this problem and it threw P0300 codes. That might also be the problem.

But in either case, I'd think you'd notice there was something wrong. When I had the P0300 problem, the car bucked and rumbled like crazy, there was no question that something was wrong. And if you have a lot of knock, you should be hearing a lot of noise, knock sensor or not... Do you have any of these problems?

Finally, you should reset the codes in the DIC and see if they come back. Some problems and transient and they go away. If the issue is a real problem, the codes will come back and you'll be no worse off than before...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

I don't have any audible knocking that I'm aware of, and I've been keeping my ears open for sure.

I also have heard that GM's knock sensors are plagued with random failures - it's happened to me before where the dealer physically could not determine what was wrong with the car (my previous car, not the Z) and as a last ditch effort they replaced the knock sensor and all was well...

The car hasn't started "bucking" yet, but what it does do is it won't respond to the throttle; when you roll into the accellerator the engine sounds like it's trying, but it's not going anywhere - exactly what happened to my last car, the culprit being the knock sensor.

Where would I look to find the chafing problem you speak of? Is it somewhere on top of the engine where the harness crosses a bracket or something? I really doubt this is my problem but I want to check to be sure. Speaking of injectors, I heard that injectors on these cars sometimes go bad - do you think this could be part of the problem?

I'm going to Carlisle this weekend and it's about a 10 hour drive for me (from Southern Ontario)... it'd be nice to get it running cherry before I go!

Thanks again! :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts