Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those tempted to polish their '02 wheels, the short suggestion is: don't.

While the 2001 Z06 wheels polish up nicely, the 2002 wheels are from a different mfr, namely Speedline out of Italy. The 2002 wheels are spun cast, and the porosity of the aluminum results in pin holes after polishing. These pin holes will result in corrosion in due course. The wheel shop I worked with (Panther Precision Machine Ltd.) had an alternative approach. The wheels are stripped, then painted a light silver, then the rims and spoke surfaces are machined, then the overall wheel is clearcoated.

The result is a "technical" look and I prefer the look to a polished wheel. I purchased the 2001 high polished center caps but Panther will paint the stock Z06 caps to match the rest of the wheel and this is very acceptable.

Panther says the clearcoat will adhere much better to the machine surface than a polished surface.

The best news; Panther charges $135 Canadian per wheel plus shipping (estimated at $80 Canadian) for out of town customers.

This is a real bargain for our American friends. Figure $400 US all in. Panther can be reached at:
http://www.pantherwheels.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Jacob,

Thanks for the tips, your wheels indeed look great........................

:cheers:

Folks are always looking for a place to repair also..........

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is another photo which may provide a better sense of the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
So I take it the light silver paint is just to fill the casting voids, and make the surface look better when machined?

Does anyone know if any venders have 2001 Z06 wheels that are already polished that I could buy with my 2002 wheels as the core trade-ins?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The silver paint is the overall color of the wheel. The machined surfaces are very close to the color of the silver. In effect, what is not machined remains silver.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Several members have asked for a close up shot of the wheels. I have attached a rear wheel shot. Apologies for the image quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Wow, those wheels look great!

Any chance we could see a pic of the car out in the sun, with some good resolution? I'd like to get the "complete" picture of the wheels!

-Kirk

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would like to echo the question above...buying a set of polished 01 wheels, as I do not want the chrome, but a clear coated polished wheel.
Any ideas?
Your wheels look great, just wish he was closer to me, in SC!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jacob,
I tried to call the 800 number for Panther today and the call will not go through. The call is out of the area. Guess you can't use 800 service out of the country.
Are you sure the price for stripping, painting, polishing and clearcoat is $80 American? I do not see how they can do a wheel for that price or even twice that. Not doubting you but I want to make sure I have the numbers right.
I am still a little confused on this; you say the wheel looks better with a technical look compared to a polished look. What is the technical look and aren't the wheels polished? You say the wheels are machined. Is that different than polished? Help.
You have sent me e-mails on this subject in detail.
Thank you. It has helped. I am also going to polish mine soon somehow.
Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Panther's non toll free number is 604-599-1542. Ask for Keith and mention John's Z06 wheels. I made them aware of this forum as a heads up.

The price is (Canadian) $135 per wheel plus $80 shipping for 4 wheels. Add $20 per wheel if tires are involved. So, without tires you have $135 x 4 + $80 = $620 Canadian or $390 US at today's exchange rate.

The "technical" look I referred to is a machined look which results from turning on a lathe as opposed to polishing which looks more like chrome. Have a look at a number of late model BMW 5 Series wheels and you'll get a better sense.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Panther is at www.pantherwheels.com

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have seen the wheels on Johns car and they are a knockout. I will be doing the same to my 01 QS wheels over the winter. Panther has an excellent reputation in the Pacific Northwest.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jacob/Zedoh6,
The look I am after is highly polished as near to chrome as possible.
Does the finish on the wheels look close to the finish of the center cap off the coupe/vert's highly polished wheel?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The short answer is no. You are likely better to get a set of chromed Z06 aftermarket wheels for the look you are after. Alternatively, try to find a set of 2001 Z06 wheels which will polish up nicely with a finish very similar to the high polished vert/coupe wheels.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Lookin' good .... it'll cost me $100 one way, just to ship them out to the upper west coat of the country :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks Good!!!

???'s though

1. Did you think of leaving the orig. paint on the wheel then machining it? it might have provided some contrast and saved a few bucks too.

2. Is the "bowl" area machined? (I cant tell from pics) What I mean is the area outside the center cap but before the spokes begin.

3. Center caps from the Camaro should work, since the 35th anniv. car has a machined look, you should be able to match the look of your wheels.

click on the "wheels" link in this site...

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/index_gallery.htm

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't like the factory grey paint, hence the light overall color.

The bowl has been machined.

I used the high polished C5 caps to add brightness. The stock Z06 caps, when repainted to match the rest of the wheel turn out very well also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Factory color?

Jacob,
Great idea!!!
I talked with Paul, he said that they leave the factory paint on the part of the wheel that isn't machined. Did you have yours painted a lighter color, or are they the stock "background". Your wheels look great, I want that look!:cheers:

Bob

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The wheels were painted a very light silver overall before the other work took place. This was done to match the machined sections, rather than provide a contrast. If I were to do a "contrast look", I would paint the overall wheel a dark color, similar to the old American Racing wheels. The new Mustang Bullitt has wheels styled in this fashion.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts