Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have also seen Jacob's wheels.

They are absolutely stunning - particularly with the Electron Blue.

I have seen the chrome wheels on other Z06's in the US - they look great, however the Panther finish is very unique and exceptionally attractive IMHO.

G

·
maybe with the purchase of one or two sets of zo6 wheels..they could actually just do a core charge and make life easy...for the zo6 owners interested.

Would it worth an extra 50 dollars to have the new wheels delivered and installed on your car and then send you original set back?

Just a thought..

I know that an extra 50 dollars to not have the car sitting on jacks for a few days would be well worth it?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Very nice look. I would like them done for my EB. How long is the turn around?
I take it you can not see the tiny voids from the spun aluminum process as yo do with the polish or are they just not as noticible?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You should check with Panther about the time; I expect a few days.

No flaws are visible with the machined/paint combo. I did see the polished results on the protoype and, although very tiny, the holes were visible. Consequently, the polished look was abandoned.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Vancouver is up by Seattle, Washington, right? About as far away as I could possibly get from them. Would they share this method with someone?
I would cover the cost for you to mail me some high quality images of your wheels, close up 35mm shots. I would appreciate it, I have sent you an email with some questions, thanks!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Torch said:
Vancouver is up by Seattle, Washington, right? About as far away as I could possibly get from them.
Hummm.... I live in Seattle and have been thinking of differenct wheels. Maybe I should check these out :D. It sounds like the quality of the job is top notch -- and you can't beat the price .... cheaper than going for new wheels. I happen to like the style of the Z06 wheels, but the silver paint does start to get old rather quickly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
We are two hours drive north including the border crossing.

Come on up - the people and the scenery are magnificent !

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Improved photos

Here are improved close up photos of the 2002 Z06 wheels done by Panther.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do you know if they have an e-mail address available? I have a series of questions to ask and do not want to phone to get them, would rather type out and get answers back, so they can give some thought to it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Torch:

I have not been able to find an email address but they do have a toll free number and a fax.

http://www.pantherwheels.com/

Another picture of wheels with car attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
These are the closest shots I have. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
I talked with a wheel company and sent him to this site to look at what I was thinking about. This is what he said:

"As far as wheels being more porous, machining would bring that
out, while polishing tends to hide it. Machining takes metal off the
face, which can expose more pits. Polishing simply buffs out what you can already see. If there are pits, it tends to "smear" or blend them together."

I think the close-ups of this wheel, not sure if its the camera or the wheel, tend to look kinda dull looking. Not knocking what you have done, its different, just throwing it what another wheel company is saying. Guess I am looking for thoughts on this topic from Jacob and others, as I have a set of 02 wheels to do, 2 that have some slight damage that I could get done at the same time, if I use the 02 wheels to have polished and clear coated, instead of the pristine 01s. This post about 02 wheels originally had me scared off from polishing. Now looking for more input. No flames intended, just generating some responses and opinions. Thanks,

G

·
Various opinions..

I like the look of panther rims... I think its a very serious look yet sharp. I believe the tone of the wheels remind me of the M5 series production rims.

I personally believe its a nice balance between business and attractiveness.

All the various meathods to modify these rims are attractive whether its high polish, chrome or my favorite the manner in which Jacob has chosen.

I guess it all depends on individual taste!

I would be interested in hearing about what works with the 2002 rims.

Cool photo Jacob and thanks for the information.

JB

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Jacob .. no offense, your post is a beautiful thing - we all like to contribute now and then but ... get a new camera bro !!!! Those pix look like cartoons ... seriously, I (*most of us*) dying to see these babies, up close and personal :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree, I thought it was the camera, but was not sure. I got a nice Sony Mavica CD200 for Christmas, really sharp photos, but too far away to take a pic of the wheel!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Another old post resurrected!

I took my 2002 Z06 wheels to a wheel refinisher in Medina Ohio last Wednesday, 1-2-02.
Before I went, I stripped a 3" section of powdercoat from the face and side of one of the spokes. The side was smooth and the front/face of the spoke was what I call brushed. Actually it is called machined. I discussed this with the owner of the shop and he said the machined face will smooth out after the first round of polishing and should polish just fine. He confirmed this when I took them there.
Because of Jacob's posts about the 2002 wheels I asked the refinisher to only strip the wheel I started on and if it was too porous then just re-powdercoat that one and do not touch the others.
I should hear from him next week and if it works I will have them in about 2 weeks.
Another issue is clearcoating after polishing. I elected not to clearcoat. The clearcoat reduces shine 15-20%.
I will let everyone here know the outcome as soon as I find out.
I hope I do not flame Jacob here but I had to try it. I may have made a big mistake to strip the wheel.
Jacob and his friend from Canada took a lot of time to help us on this issue and I want to thank them both.
OK now maybe someone can help me on this.
When going to chrome or polished wheels, I know you usually use the chrome center cap from the coupe/vert but what about the lug nut covers. Aren't they painted gray, even on the highly polished wheels. I would like the lug nut caps chrome also.
Thanks, Dave

21 - 40 of 72 Posts