61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Re: machined side spokes

TITANS/Z said:
Jacob,

I just had my rims done by Panther. Did they machine the sides of the spokes, too? Mine did not get done even though I asked for it to be done. I was wndering if they are just not doing the spoke sides on all of the wheels?
Panther did the spoke surfaces, not the sides. I expect it would be impractical to machine the sides.

·
Registered
162 Posts
okay, thanks

I guess that I'm too much of a damn perfectionist. The wheels look great and are well worth the $400 plus shipping that I paid to have them done. I imagine that '02 wheels might look slightly better with the Panther treatment since the lighter gray of the spoke sides will match the machined surface better.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I've been researching what to do with my wheels. JC was kind enough to point me to this older postings initiated by Jacob on wheel finishes and polishing. I know of a couple of new owners out there that are also looking into the same topic.

So here it is again by popular demand. Since this thread some year or so ago, bet some of you have done the polishing route with your '02 (and perhaps '03) wheels. Let's hear about your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
gaijin, thanks..............
just a word to the guy's thinking of going to Wheel America........
Fergiddaboutit........:(
They quoted me over $200.00 PER wheel.......to chrome them.
polishing, i don't know..........
Jacob's dealer Panther......does a slam bang job, from what I can see........
The machined w/silver, looks really sweet....and not too flashy.
I would have concerns about staining, and spotting though, w/ no clear coating.
This would tend to steer me in the polished direction only on '01 wheels.
Being Forged, they should be a lot less porus............

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why forget about Wheels America?

I talked with them last week, they quted me $109 pr wheel to:
Strip factory paint
Repaint brighter silver
Machine front facing edges
Clear coat
In other words exactly what Panther does.

$200 to chrome? maybe so, but thats entirely different.

Tony

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've had mine Panthered for over 6 months now and still love it, they look as good now as they did when I did it. No offence to the rest of you, but when I see my older pics of my car without the polished look, it looks so dull! Best mod I have done for appearances...

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I am wondering, and have for a while...what a color matched wheel set would look like......
Say, the spokes & rim ( outside were polished/machined, and the insides, were say, EB, If yours was EB.)
If someone is a Picasso with a photoshop..maybe we could see.....

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this post once again. I went looking for information on polished wheels and this is a very interesting alternative to chroming the stock Z06 wheels.

I tell you though.. The machining makes the wheels look exactly like a set of Fittipaldi Monolith's that I bought back in the early 90's for a Taurus SHO. They were painted silver/gray around the edges and then the wheel is machined, then clear coated. The wheels held up really well for years until I relegated them for use as winter wheels with Blizzak tires. 15" just wasn't cutting it any longer for wow factor, so I upgraded to 17", then kept the 15" for winter duty.

Basically, what I'm saying is that this finish should hold up for years as long as you don't use anything abrasive on the clear coat and don't run them in winter in the salt belt. I don't suspect many will with a Z06 anyway.

Gotta ask Jacob a question though if he's still around. Can the center caps be machined to match the rest of the machined wheel? That's how my Fittipaldi's were. I wonder what the wheel would look like with the stock Z06 gray in the background and then machined.. Did anyone go that route?

TIA,

Bob

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Gotta agree with rpallas. The polished portion doesn't hold up well in winter. My polished lips have a fair amount of corosion from letting the salts sit on them for too long.

Does anyone know if you can add a clear powder coat over paint? I'm thinking about having the lips repolished, then coating them with a clear powder coat. Normal clear coat paint won't stick to polished areas.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Javelin said:

Does anyone know if you can add a clear powder coat over paint? I'm thinking about having the lips repolished, then coating them with a clear powder coat. Normal clear coat paint won't stick to polished areas.
The HREs I have are machine polished centers with clear powder coat. And hand polished with no clears coat lips.

So it must be doable :cheers: .

61 - 72 of 72 Posts