Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Do you try to restrain yourself on public roadways?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is it? Do you at least TRY to be good on the public roadways???

·
Registered
390 Posts
I DO IF I KNOW THERE'S A BLACK & WHITE NEARBY.seriously tho, i have calmed down a little from when i first got the car. when i first got my nitrous system i went thru a bottle a week or more. now i'm at less than a bottle a month. :ity:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Yeah at least until the points go away on my liscense. I usually wait for an opurtune moment to run it up through the gears when I can. :sneaky:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I always drive responsibly but I do drive fast (5-10MPH over). I adjust my driving according to traffic. I dont know how I could live with myself if I were to kill someone by driving like an idiot. Maybe it's a maturity thing? :cheers:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also push traffic. I don't zig-zag. I do get pissed when idiots clog the left lane going the same speed as the right.

The wife and I logged about 600 miles yesterday on our way to BG. The Z was wonderful and at times we were crusing through West Virginia and Kentucky at 90mph with the occasional pass at 100+ (24.5 mpg)

I LOVE THIS CAR! :usa:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I decided the risk wasn't worth the gain in most situations on public roads which is why I took to driver's education events and then the SCCA. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I'm either one way or the other. I generally drive the speed of traffic. I do accelerate somewhat hard from lights but get out of it by 50mph. On/off ramps I take very hard as long as I have a view of the whole ramp. The other day I took one and didn't have a total view and mid way through the ramp there was a cop standing there checking stickers. I was hhaarrdd on that turn...fully commited into it. He waved to slow me down. I was like FFvvcckk. It took like every ounce of skill I had to make the car come to a stop without skidding. But you could clearly see the weight transfer all over the place so it was clear to the cop that I was all out into this turn. Thank god for PBA cards i got out of it. but anyway. to me it's not worth the cops or the slim possiblity of hurting someone else driving fast. However if I'm in a sitation where I know there's no way I can get pulled over or if I'm with a bunch of other cars in a run..then I'll drive the thing like I stole it and I shot two cops in the process. So I have fun, enjoy my car to the fullest, and have zero problem with the law and I'm pretty sure zero points on my record. :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
In traffic, I am pretty restrained.
I pick my spots to get on it (no traffic, clear view, etc.) :D

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I don't race, especially kids, but living on crooked 2 lane roads where there are not many places to pass I really have to put my foot in it when I do pass.

I enjoy coming up the ramps to get in traffic at speed but when on the interstate I drive only about 5 to 9 miles over the speed limit unless I'm traveling with 10 other Z06's, then I go with the flow. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
On public roadways that have an even remote amount of traffic, I never speed or drive hard, for two reasons:
1) It's a daily driver and if I drive the crap out of it all the time it will be less dependable.
2) I am relatively young and this ZO6, along with its insurance, is a HUGE investment for me, so I can't go around wrecking it or paying tickets.

Although on those country backroads, which I know plenty of, I drive like I'm suicidal and race other people to 150+.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Merge lanes are always fun for play! :sneaky:

Do most of my passing on the right as the enforcers of cell phone use at 10 mph below the posted speeds are in the left hand lane. :mah:

Was in Chicago for Bloomington Gold and was surprised at the rudeness of drivers. Truckers tried speed up and tried to cut me off or hit the car. Drivers tried to regulate 2 lanes at the same time. Didn't get mad, just realized that driving a Vette does evoke envy. :p

·
Registered
695 Posts
I drove a little crazy when I first got it, but learned quickly (after getting stopped 3 times without a ticket, first one in the first 30 days) that this car goes too fast too quickly (for in town or urban driving). I get my jollies at Rd Atlanta. One perk for living within 10 miles of the track!!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Subdriver said:
I decided the risk wasn't worth the gain in most situations on public roads which is why I took to driver's education events and then the SCCA. :cheers:
Exactly. Even if you don't race, you can find a road course you can race on for a day. Spend a day there, and you'll not only get your kicks out, you'll be soo tired on the way home you'll do less than the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
When I first got the Z (after break-in) I got on it every chance I was out in the car. Now I pick my moments, like entrance ramps onto freeways when there's no one in front of me on the ramp. Generally go 5 mph over the speed limit but no more. Never have been bothered on the interstate going 5 mph over. Do occassionly have momentary lapses when its pedal to the metal when no one is around. :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
tszwec said:
When I first got the Z (after break-in) I got on it every chance I was out in the car. Now I pick my moments, like entrance ramps onto freeways when there's no one in front of me on the ramp. Generally go 5 mph over the speed limit but no more. Never have been bothered on the interstate going 5 mph over. Do occassionly have momentary lapses when its pedal to the metal when no one is around. :thumb:
I think that's the smart way to enjoy the car and I believe you'll find the majority fall into this category, myself included.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
yup yup ... the Z cuts both ways ... :lol: FTD and puts a permanent :D on my face. Also hugely tempting on the road and challenges my restraint. Nowadays, with my fun time limited, I do several AutoX's and book as much track time as I can afford, to sate the beast; I ignore road challenges and aggressive drivers ... tho it's tempting... :jammin:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts