Votes: 85 21.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
21,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been talked about before but curiosity got the better of me so I figure I would ask the question.

Around 2000 rpm, any gear my engine ticks, quite noticeably. How about yours? If you don't know, listen to your engine next time you're out and about and get back to me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Yeah Jub,
Slightly....kind of like a clock on revs. I just thought it was the injectors. It's real noticable running along side a jersey wall. At least I hope it's the injectors...

·
21,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was explained to me that the steep cam lobes along with the hollow/sodium valves makes more noise that what the 01's did. I just thought mine seemed to be louder than most I've heard. Strange thing is, one of the guys in our club has an 02 and I could not hear any ticking in his engine. That is the reason for the poll. To see how many tick vs: don't tick.

·
Registered
133 Posts
jub,

Mine ticks between 1500-2000 rpms and seems as noticeable/annoying as you described!! I do not have a very big cam comparably speaking (TR 227/224) but the noise was there when it was bone stock anyways, so I talked with the Vette mechanic at the dealership when he was rebuilding my tranny(new sincro's and sh_t) and I tried to get him to pull the intake and put new lifters in but he did not think they would let that fly so....I don't know if it is the injectors or the lifters but I think it is one of them IMO..the noise on mine seems to be dominant on the front of the engine on the drivers side and towards the middle but Hell who knows :-?
I guess someday I will yank the stock heads and think about changing out the lifters for curiosity of the outcome..

John

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I used to have a little injector noise, stock.
Now with the cam, full rollers and all the other stuff, I have a regular symphony of mechanical sounds eminating under the hood from idle till the exhaust comes alive!!

I Love it!
Ken

·
21,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure it's not the injectors. I can hear the injectors and they make a slight ticking sound where the noise we're experiencing is more like a "bad lifter" sound. I can sometimes here it a idle when the engine is at normal or above operating temperature.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well, I guess what I'm hearing from mine is just normal injector ticking. Nothing else noticable.
This LS6 takes a licking and keeps on ticking... to coin an old familiar phrase from that Timex commercial.

vettepilot

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
When mine is cold you would think I had solids!!
I just realized that I really started noticing the engine noise after the wreck.
I forgot I had a MCM CF hood installed and there is no sound matt........
Duh...........just call me Homer....................

Ken

·
Registered
133 Posts
jub jub said:
I'm pretty sure it's not the injectors. I can hear the injectors and they make a slight ticking sound where the noise we're experiencing is more like a "bad lifter" sound. I can sometimes here it a idle when the engine is at normal or above operating temperature.

I think our motors were built the same damn week! :mah:

Oh well, just means we have to keep changing things out with better/go fast parts! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Kens06 said:
I used to have a little injector noise, stock.
Now with the cam, full rollers and all the other stuff, I have a regular symphony of mechanical sounds eminating under the hood from idle till the exhaust comes alive!!

I Love it!
Ken

Me too! :yeadog:

Don

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I think you will also hear some piston slap too ! I also have the ticking which is worse with the engine cold !

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking :jawdrop:

Rob :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
jub, yea, I have the exact noise you are talking about in my 03. Sometimes I dont notice it and other times it seems louder and I do notice it. So it kind of comes and goes. Mostly at idle is when I notice it, almost a lifter type noise. Never really looked into it to though and see if I could figure it out.

However, work is a little slow, so I think I will take the car in and fix that stupid leaking left axle. Maybe I will see if i can hear it then and mess with that too.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey Jub,

I tend to hear it after driving normally for a little bit, and slowing down to RPMs in the 1500-2000, like others have mentioned.

I personally don't mind the noise so much, I was just worried it was an indication of more trouble to come :(

:cheers:
Geoff

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Mine's so quiet I can't even hear it running... :crazy: :D

Yes...it used to tick.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine has it...I think of it as a ticking time bomb...in a good way of course :)

It also have the jingles.

And then a very scary, intimidating sound when I push the far right pedal down :crazy:

Edit: I actually saw a female (*gasp*) driving a Z06 here in SD today (Poway/Ramona area). It was black too. Such good taste she has.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.