Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Who is planning on a HANS or similar device for HPDE's and track days?

• HANS

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Hutchins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • none

Votes: 6 24.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually start poles but I'd like to get some personal feedback on this one. Who, after recent events is going to use a HANS device or similar for future HPDE and track days? :cheers:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Been using a HANS device for over a year now.

I looked very hard into other devices such as Hutchins, ISAAC and decided that each, including the HANS, had their individual drawbacks.

I chose the HANS as I thought it fit my needs best. Doesn't mean it is the best option for everyone. The common concerns about the HANS are lack of side impact protection and the shoulder straps sliding off the support part of the HANS device.

I decided I could address these issues. For the seat belt, I checked the way my shoulder straps are routed over my shoulders by the slots in my racing seat and they chaff against my neck, implying they are as close as possible and should do a fair job of staying on the HANS device.

For side impact protection, I plan on getting a kevlar racing seat which incorporates head side impact protection wings such as on the new Cobra Suzuka seat. :cheers:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Agree with Brad. IMHO, you have to be nuts to go out on the track without the proper safety equipment. There are enough examples of stuff happening that no one thought about like wheels failing, rotors disintegrating, somebody dropping fluids in front of you, etc., etc.. Protect yourself with the best equipment that you know about. It may be or seem to be too expensive but not compared to what you are worth.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I selected HANs on the poll, as that is what I will likely get from what I know today. But I do plan on looking into other options as did Brad.

:usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Where is the best place to get a HANS? Do any forum vendors sell them? Did you install the screws in your helmet yourselves?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
As far as I know, you have to get the HANS device direct from HANS. Search for HANS and you will find their website.

I bought a new helmet, not for the HANS, but for the helmet cooling system, and had Simpson put in the HANS attachments. But, I know other racers who have done the attachment installation themselves. They said it was easy. HANS gives you good directions for this with the device.

I got a Model 20, small.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
stable energies in NJ is a dealer and there are a few others. For a long time they said they would have no dealers. I sent my helmet to HANS to do it. You can do it yourself if you are handy. It was free to send it back. The HANS helmet bag is nice also. The HANS fits below the helmet in a seperate compartment. Money well spent. I love it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Per my recient post, I'm leaning towards an R3 from LFT Tech.

I've done some more surfing and found it is SFI approved, approved by several sanctioning bodies, and under consideration for NASCAR approval as an alternative to the HANS.

Checking on one of the Race news boards found a great "it saved my neck" story from the first guy to adopt it in one of the big oval series.

·
Registered
417 Posts
After looking at them all and discussing the pluses and minuses of them all, I bought a HANS. The biggest downside of the HANS for me is that it will not work if your shoulder harness is not correct. For example, when I instruct students that have the stock shoulder harness I can't use my HANS and I feel very naked without it. The Teamtech Rampack harness I use in my race car that has the padded "vest" and sternum protector the HANS is very comfortable and I really don't notice that I am wearing it. I did notice at Sebring last weekend, that my new HANS is a little different than some of the other drivers' older versions. Mine has a non slip coating in it and the edges have a lip that helps hold the shoulder belts on it. I thought I had the shoulder belts tight but the pit lane steward told me to pull them tighter so when I did, I thought it would be uncomfortable, but I found I liked it that tight. Just my $.02...
Gary Hoffman

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ghoffman said:
For example, when I instruct students that have the stock shoulder harness I can't use my HANS and I feel very naked without it.
Gary,
I know exactly what you mean. I instructed at a PCA event last fall and couldn't use my HANS and I felt naked without it as well, the same feeling I have without a seat belt... :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I have an R3 because when I got it I didn't have harnesses (required for HANS). Gives me some "right seat" security as well, when riding in cars without harnesses ... :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
If you go with a HANS get the new sliding tether feature. It makes getting out of the paddock a lot easier.

Most vendors that sell them can do the helmet mod for it too, if you don't have a HANS ready helmet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you go with a HANS get the new sliding tether feature. It makes getting out of the paddock a lot easier.

Most vendors that sell them can do the helmet mod for it too, if you don't have a HANS ready helmet.

Yeah what he said.

I installed mine and it was a pain in the rear:moon:. Have the Vendor do it if you can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts