• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you take care of the titanium mufflers? On my 88 I had the mufflers painted with silver epoxy and always steel wooled the pipes leading up to the mufflers with mothers and 0000 steel wool. I routinely did alot of the alum suspension pieces the same way and it made it look really nice like polished aluminum/chrome. What is the best thing to do with the titanium exaust.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Agent, you read my mind. I just walked in from washing my Z06. As I was kneeling down drying the pipes off, I noticed that they have faded a bit and need something. Anybody have any advice? Im guessing mothers wont do much on them, they seem to have a protective coating on them. Who knows??

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
From what I've read, the tips are polished titanium. I think you just need to keep them clean.:cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Damn you people have a lot of time on your hands. hit em with the hose and (maybe) dry the tips.

BTW, How do I clean the filiment in my turn signal bulbs? ;D

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I take care of mine by installing Corsa Indys, wrapping the titaniums in plastic, and storing them in the basement! :lol:

Zipster :) :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you people have a lot of time on your hands. hit em with the hose and (maybe) dry the tips.
Glenbo, I take it you are one of the people that voted "Get a Life"
:lol:

Actually, I am talking about the muffler and the tips. I have been Zainoing the tips to keep them nice but wanted to do something to keep the mufflers looking nice since they are so visible. I am a freak when it comes to keeping my vettes clean. I just ordered a kwiklift and you can bet that I WILL BE under my Z regularly cleaning the undercarriage. I clean the Wheel wells on all my cars. You gotta be really into it if you got a black one and want it to continue looking good.:cheers:

2002 Blk/Blk Z06
1976 Blk Vette (Show Car)
2001 Blk/Blk MB C320

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Actually I have a friend who is exactly like you. Up till recently he had an all original 1979 chevy pickup with a 454. It looked as if it just rolled off the lot, except where he had waxed throught he paint (BTW he sold the truck for more than he paid for it originally). He climbs under all his vehicles when he washes them and scrubs the mufflers with an SOS pad. I know for a fact that he has never had any exhaust components replaced, and evey cars exhaust system always looked brand new. The mufflers aren't polished, so you should be able to get away with just an SOS pad or steel wool if you want to do this. You could polish them, but that might be a wee bit much. Also I don't remember how bad titanium oxidizes. I know when you polish on Stainless (depending on grade) it stays looking nice, except when it gets hot. The Titanium system on the Z seems to take a yellow cast to it after it has heat cycled a few times. I may try and scrub the muffs a bit and see if they shine a bit more.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:
From what I've read, the tips are polished titanium. I think you just need to keep them clean.:cool:
I believe the tips are chromed plated. Ti will not polish to a chrome luster anyway.

Just keep the dirt off the Ti parts and use a chrome polish on the tips. The tips shouldn't really change much over time unless your driving it on the salt flats :D.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
With this!

GlenBo said:

BTW, How do I clean the filiment in my turn signal bulbs? ;D
Mothers or Zaino filiment cleaner and polish:lol:
But you need the AC/Delco filiment remover tool:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I simply wipe them down with the wet/damp towel I used for
drying after washing. No road grime on these baby's!

I understand with age (i.e. heating/cooling) the metal turns silghtly with hues of blue and orange! Ain't it cool!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
How come this is coming up in July when the last post date is 12/2001 :-? :-?

Is the site's atomic clock out of whack?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Pump as much hot, WOT exhaust gas through them as you can.:sneaky:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Heat and other things

will cause blueing and yellowing.
Blue and yellow similiar to motorcycle exhaust brassing from sustained high speed driving. I thought that once that happened, you never can get it back to original shine. Not so, some good polishes out there will bring back the shine. I will look in the garage for the brand I use, but gmblack3 has posted on this topic before and his pics look better than new. The kind I have is spray on, hose off and you only need a little attention with a rag afterwards.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm taking a route similar to Norman.

Replace with Borla Stinger and place Titanium in protective covering in the basement. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.