Votes: 98 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
10,998 Posts
Subw00er said:
For those guys going with the Bridgestone S-02... This is the OEM tire for my other ride, a Honda S2000. Expect very fast tire wear - most s2000 owners only see 8-10K miles on the rear if they dont drive like woossies. The front will typically last to 15K. I'd imagine a z06 owner will see less than that. However, the s-02 is the ONLY tire I'll put on my s2000 due to very little sidewal flex and great grip. It is a very directional tire and very communicative (road feel is great). One thing I dont like in the handling department on the s-02 is the lack of warning before it breaks free. There is basically 0 indication, so you have to be careful. They also suck in the rain after 1/2 worn.

The s-03 is a less grippy tire but will last a little longer and have more indication of eminent traction loss. It is also much better in the rain. (BTW, dont go with RE750's, they are very sloppy and not a real performance tire, I dont care what the specs say! They're terrible - I've actually returned a set to tirerack I was so displeased)

I think I'll look at a cheaper tire for the Z06 because I dont think the stockers are particular spectacular for the price, although they are definitely a decent tire. The Kuhmo MX looks promising..
I am on my third set of Kumho ECSTA MX's and I think they are as good on dry as the GY and two plus times better in the rain. It is my daily driver. The blocky ouside half of a GY F1 does not have a rain channel worth mentioning. Therefore the outside half is hydroplaning on rain soaked roads. Kumho's are cheaper and have a symmetric tread pattern and handle cornering loads just fine. I would only consider another tire if I was only going to roadrace or dragrace then I would do other tire brands and types otherwise Kumho :thumb:

Kumho ECSTA MX
http://www.kumhousa.com/images/Products/Tires/KU15.jpg

Goodyear Supercar F1
http://www.tyre-pictures.com/Goodyear/EagleF1Supercar.jpg

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well, after talking about it for quite some time I've gone and pulled the trigger on a sticky new set of Nitto R2s. I've got OEM 18" Speedline rears mouted on the front, and 285/35-18 front and 305/35-18 rear R2s.

They're sticky! They hold 1st gear WOT on most roads, wheras the F1s would only hold on really good pavement. Haven't carved too many corners yet, but a ramp by my work was navigated at my usual F1 attack speed and the tires felt like they could be pushed harder than that without sliding.

They're quiet! Much quieter at cruise then the F1s. A partition may be off my to-do list...

They're smooth! Regardless of Nitto's warning in their ads, the "stiff" sidewall doesn't seem any stiffer than the F1s, maybe even a bit softer as ride quality seems unchanged over most surfaces and I've gone with a lower profile 18" front tire. Large potholes and sunken manhole covers are not soaked up as well as before, but that's to be expected, especially with more unsprung weight due to the much larger wheel/tire combo on the front.

They look cool! I like the tread pattern and how they look on the wheels. The rears look like they could hit the fenders as they stick out a bit farther than the F1s did, but this hasn't happened yet and I've never heard of this being a problem.

Overall I'm really happy with them. If it wasn't for one of the guys at D**count T*re chipping one of my wheels with a wrench, the whole experience would have been perfect... :drunk:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put 34k miles on my original F1s and still have a few thousand left. Very impressed with the life of these high performace tires. My driving isnt too spirited but I do work them on corners sometimes (never drop the clutch at red lights). Never drive in rain and if it suddenly starts to rain when im out, I am in the right lane. Not too impressed with the dry performace, traction breaks a little early on hard corners, high speed runs could be a little more tight and ever since I added the basic mods (intake/full exhaust/tune) traction breaks around peak horsepower RPMs in 1st and 2nd gears. Like I said, I NEVER drop the clutch, but even rolling off the line and giving WOT up to redline it almost always breaks (summertime driving, when the street is hot). Dont need a wet/dry tire, just a max dry performace tire. What do you guys think about the BFG G-Force T/A KD or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put 34k miles on my original F1s and still have a few thousand left. Very impressed with the life of these high performace tires. My driving isnt too spirited but I do work them on corners sometimes (never drop the clutch at red lights). Never drive in rain and if it suddenly starts to rain when im out, I am in the right lane. Not too impressed with the dry performace, traction breaks a little early on hard corners, high speed runs could be a little more tight and ever since I added the basic mods (intake/full exhaust/tune) traction breaks around peak horsepower RPMs in 1st and 2nd gears. Like I said, I NEVER drop the clutch, but even rolling off the line and giving WOT up to redline it almost always breaks (summertime driving, when the street is hot). Dont need a wet/dry tire, just a max dry performace tire. What do you guys think about the BFG G-Force T/A KD or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup?

Both the KD's and PSC's are very good tires. I would also look into the Falken Azenis RT-615 Tire. They would fit your driving style perfect and get a few more miles out of them. Out of those 3 I would go with the 615's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just replaced the Stock Goodyears with Vredestein Sessantes. So far better traction wet and dry and much quieter! They are priced well ($740.00) and have a wild tread pattern. I have been caught in very heavy down pours here in Washington and no hydro planing at all. I do notice a little stiffer ride as the sidewalls on these tires are thicker and stronger than the Goodyears. I guess I will see how long they last, the GoodYears lasted 25000 miles.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I voted to stick with the Goodyears only because I have a rear set of stickers for $300 in the garage already. If the Goodyears only last 20k miles I should be ready to use them in about a year or so.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am very happy with my Kuhmo MX's. They are much better in the rain than the SC's and gave very good feed back at the limit in the dry. Great all around tire.
I just bought those recently and could not agree more. I like them and the fact I only paid $935 installed was nice too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank the lord we will finnaly get Pilot Cups that are the correct size. I know they will be 19" and 20" but thats ok.
(XFH) Michelin PS Cup tires (included and only available with [Z07] Z06 Ultimate Performance Package or [PDE] ZR1 High Performance Package)

No more compromises at the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
On a C5z I have heard that the NITTO Invo is great for the rear and the Toyo T1 tires for the front. I personally will tell you that the Goodyears suck on sudden accel after 5k mi or so.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.