Votes: 97 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
481 - 500 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hit 180 this year in my 2008 Z06 (recorded on Garmin Sat Nav) on a very straight, very empty road. Could see for miles. Looking forward to exceeding 200 mph at a old airstrip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did 174 on a Honda RC-51 sportbike. I also had a fairly modded 02 Trans Am and raced an Electron Blue 02-04?? Z06 on the interstate in Arkansas. Result: When I shifted into 6th, I was out of numbers on the speedo at 160, I stayed right on his bumper for another mile or two, then we shut it down, so, I'd guess somewhere about 168-173 based on what the experts claimed the Z's would run back then. For the record I don't recommend going that fast on a motorcycle or in a Vette, I was lucky not to have killed someone or myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had my 02 Z06 to 280 km/h...(175 mph) its the top of fifth gear... and I have a great video of me getting there....on a private/closed road of course. the car felt pretty sturdy...but I didnt stay going that speed for very long. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
200 mph in a pack of 40 cars for 500 miles, you can keep that!
Actually I would rather run 20mph faster on a track where the situation is a bit more controlled and everyone (should) have their mind on what they are doing rather than a cell phone, mp3 player, fries on the floor, their girl, etc.

The street is no place for speed - too many variables you can't control.

Ryan J

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have the car yet. I've had the Ducati 999R over 150. That was the tattle tail on the tank bag Garmin.
Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hit 160mph on the test drive with the owner in the shotgun seat. He was cool with it. I looked over at him and said, "Tell me honestly, do you drive like this too?" He said, "Yep."

That was when I knew I had found the right car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I hit 163 on the way back from Houston, enroute to Wichita on I-35. I had just picked up my new Z and a mustang decided to see what I had so...I hit it. I was at 163 and ready to shift to 6th but the stang backed off. I think I will wait to go any faster until I get my new Vredesteins.

Now if we are talking about the fastest I have ever gone in any vehicle then I would submit 186 on my 2000 CBR1100XX. That was indicated so subtract a bit for speedo error.

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
155 on OE speedo, Honda CBR900F on the east edge of Florida Everglades. Wearing a T-shirt....very dumb. But in the vettes, 125 GPS verified in LT4 C4, and about the same in the '03 Z. :eek2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Too old, cautious, smart, scared, take your pick to do this on open roads anymore. The road courses I've been on for high performance driver's ed. events don't have long enough straights for more than 140, but getting there as hard as you can, and then braking for the inevitable tight turn at the end is an absolute blast.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I've been 150 many times in different vehicles, I usually get scared there, as you get tunnel vision. These were tracks or runways, or closed roads. If you go fast with the public, you are bound to get burned. An example is when I went up to north Texas to see my sister graduate, I was on my precious 1990 zx7, riding with my buddy on his seca. Well, being 19 or so, I wanted to top it out, so I waited for a clear stretch of road and hit it. Officially, the bike toped out at 155, but it wasn't stock. Well close to that speed I went over a rise and there in front of me were ten cars piled up, five rows of two. I knew that I couldn't stop, so I stayed on it a went right between them all, lane splitting, I half expected to die, but I got through ok, started to slow down, and looked behind me, the seca was doing it too, though probably at 130 or so. I thought to myself, he's gonna die, but then he got through. We had to stop soon be cuz his rear tire threw out a plug at speed. I never did anything like that again, becuz I should have died, and you will if you push it on public roads, things happen real fast at triple digits.
I'd like to do the standing mile, so many have that I know what it will do, so I probably won't. I don't like going real fast, just accelerating really fast, top speed runs are testosterone induced, like so many of the mistakes we all make.
Zteve06
Blk 02 z06
Austin,Tx

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
It's clear to me that the 2002 Z06 is very fast.

Those C7 guys better start getting worried. :lol: :eek2:
I have heard the 02 is the easiest to mod, but the 03 has a few improvements, as well as the 04.
Zteve06

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Steve,
I was kidding around with the C6 crowd.

Except, seriously, the C5 is certainly better looking than the C6. :yeadog:
Ah...stickin it to the man...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last month I was lucky enough to drive for a day at Daytona Speedway with Hooked on Driving. It was fun and challenging. With some practice I was able to hit 160 mph every lap. After a day of practicing I pushed it to 192 mph (per my satnav's recording) on the home stretch one time. At those speeds we better all be in a controlled environment. Lots of adrenaline. :z:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Last month I was lucky enough to drive for a day at Daytona Speedway with Hooked on Driving. It was fun and challenging. With some practice I was able to hit 160 mph every lap. After a day of practicing I pushed it to 192 mph (per my satnav's recording) on the home stretch one time. At those speeds we better all be in a controlled environment. Lots of adrenaline. :z:
I've hit 165 in my Z and 185 on my CBR 1100 XX but 192 is freaking fast! Awesome!!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
165 in my '09 LP560 at Pocono in 2011. The car completely planted and was confidence inspiring.

It took me a day and a half to work up to it. I'm okay up to about 145. Faster than that I get very nervous (scared). I'm not about top end speed - I prefer corners.

At Road America I never went over 155 (in Z06). The front straight pavement undulated and it felt the like the car was unsettled. 155 was plenty fast for me. The Z06 doesn't feel quite as "planted" as the Lambo once it gets over 145.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I hope to be able to take this poll one day. As it is, I have not broken 120 MPH! Grrrr! It's not that I don't want to, just haven't found a safe place or opportunity to do so.

481 - 500 of 508 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.