• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys,gals which do you think is the best power adder ? and why? supercharger, twin turbo, nitrous oxide, none of the above?:-? .let the debate Begin:guiness: :D :z:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
How can most bang for the buck be heads and cam? I'm not saying its not a good mod (b/c eventually I'll probably do it), but an emissions-legal H/C package w/ stock-like driveability will not get me more than 420-430rwhp. Flycutting the already thin stock pistons (for a huge cam) is NOT an option for me.

On a high CR, stock motor I honestly think nitrous is the way to go. There are some who will talk about its pros/cons (refill the bottle, not on all the time, etc). There are pros/cons for each setup.

For this discussion I'm just going to assume you're looking for max power/tq and reliability is a concern. On a high CR motor you are limited in how much boost you can run. These centrifugal blowers are having to be detuned and pullied down in order to keep them from causing detonation. To me, running 6-7psi is not getting the most out of your bad-arse blower. :)

I'm a big blower guy. I've run Vortechs for well over a decade. If I could build a motor, it would be 9:1 CR and 14psi on pump gas and make over 600rwhp (been there, done that...with a Ford). It works and is extremely reliable.

Due to its significant TQ increase, nitrous also gives you more power under the curve (or within the rev-range where you are racing). This is more important than some pie-in-the-sky, make peak HP at the rev-limiter, HP figure. Making peak HP at the rev-limiter is a waste of potential. It doesn't mean the combination is bad, but the # is just for bragging rights. It's _average HP_ that will win the race. :)

All this being said, I like the new intercooler setup for the LPE/Magnuson blower. That positive displacement blower makes good power "under the curve", and if an intercooler will effectively allow more boost and more ignition timing, it could be a very stout and reliable performer as well.

If $$ is no object then a twin-turbo (which provides awesome low-end TQ like a positive displacement blower, along with the high-end efficiency of a centrifugal blower...best of both worlds) on a built 9:1 CR motor would be awesome. For the DYIer, this is more complicated due to packaging issues. Sometimes just changing plugs can be a major chore.

All power adders are good. :D It really just depends on the combination you are working with/trying to build. Most of us do not want to pull out our near-new stock motors, so you're limited due to the high CR.

So how's that for not giving you a straight answer. :lol:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Fantasy-land choice: LPE 427TT
Real-world choice: Upcoming Magnuson intercooled S/C

I'd love to have 700 or so HP. $50K is a little much to spend. Runner up would be the upcoming Magnuson intercooled S/C. An additional 150 RWHP that's reliable for about $8K is a damn good deal.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
sold in minutes

Heres the best bang for the buck power adder but move quickly..

Here's my post:

Vortech SQ Supercharger complete kit - 2500 dollars
This is a neighbors Z06 kit for the Vortech SQ complete with everything you need.

2500 dollars firm plus shipping.

He told me the kit makes 540 hp. Sounds like a bang for the buck mod. I'd imagine 1500 for installation?

The gentlemen is not on the internet that often and not yet a member but I told him I would post this up on the site to see if someone is interested.

I don't want to go the forced induction route but if I did this seems like a killer deal.

Please post here if your interested.

Price is firm.

JB

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I'm not much of a nitrous guy, but if I were just answering your question specifically, I would have to say spray(preferably a 2 stage setup).
For the money spent, I think you would get the most hp and tq boost out of any of the power adders.

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm going with Nitrous, makes big TQ, cheap compared to a lot of other forced inductions. I have ran Nitrous on many engines with good success and reliability. I would also agree that a rear gear change is a good bang for the buck mod.

James

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
So far, I'm pleased with my Vortech. (...as he knocks on wood)

·
Registered
64 Posts
NOTHING CAN TOUCH NITROUS FOR THE $$$. If money were no the issue then a single turbo would be the way to go... with a little nitrous. I have been there and done that been in and driven MANY a 10 sec ride. What else can you do to take $2500. and make a Z a deep 10sec car safely and reliably. NOTHING! Turbo is the only thing that comes even close and it is there all the time but very expensive. We are working on a 4500 turbo kit for the Z's

Jeremy Formato

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Maybe you're getting it confused with nitro-methane which is what Top Fuel dragsters/funny cars run.

We are referring to nitrous oxide.

Its a lot more than a fuel upgrade. You're injecting gobs more oxygen into the engine, thus it requires more fuel (as any power enhancement will).

Do a search on nitrous and you'll find lots of info here.

Welcome to the board. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I concur that Nitrous/Gearing is the "most bang for the buck" mod for the Z.

Especially when you are here in Smog Inspection Hell ( California )

As long as the Nitrous System is professionally installed, that's the way to go.

Talk about your sleeper, not to mention drivability. A close friend of mine ran 150 shots in a SB camaro he had for several yrs. He has since tore the engine down and was surprised at how well the bottom end held up.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
LPE TT:D NOTHING THAT I'VE EVER HAD OR DRIVEN HAS EVER BEEN MORE FUN AND MORE RELIABLE. NITROUS IS A GOOD BANG FOR YOUR BUCK, AND VERY FUN AS WELL WHEN IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY. MHO

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only problem with Juice is that its only there when you hit it.

The supercharger is always on....

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
I'm not much of a nitrous guy, but if I were just answering your question specifically, I would have to say spray(preferably a 2 stage setup).
For the money spent, I think you would get the most hp and tq boost out of any of the power adders.

Well put Mike. I couldn't have said it better. :guiness:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Money aside twins without a doubt. Twins over single turbo because a single would be a bigger unit and have more lag. Turbos are awesome because of their driveability. Geta bost controller and just dial the boost up or down depending on how you feel that day.

On a budget go LT headers, camshaft, and 100 wet shot. I am not a big N20 fan because it is pretty darn hard on the motor and can have unexplained hiccups sometimes :eek2: . But there is no denying the bang for the buck factor.

Safest/Easiest route is probably an intercooled mag supercharger running around 5psi of boost (stock engine).

They all have their pros and cons but the twins win for all around best package when money is not a big issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With only 5psi on those magna's your only getting around what 440 rwhp 450 rwtq on a zo6?
Do you think with the magna's you can put a bigger pulley on it and push around 550 rwhp / 550 rwtq?
If so yes probably 50/50 race fuel should be in order.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.