Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Popping Shock Towers 2 the Saga Continues

Ok finally an answer. Retorqued the shock mounts and lubed the bushings. Noise absent. If it comes back then Ill beat them up again. C4C5 any thoughts let me know

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
While at the plant, I had a chance to talk to a couple of different engineers, and they had told me that they have a man there who does squeaks and rattles, and that of the one that they have seen, loose shock mounts have happened.
This is not to say that it is a common occurance, however, it has happened.
I feel you did the right thing, that the retorque did the trick, and that you will be fine.
Please keep us posted of any further developments, c4c5

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The saga continues. Its been since right after Vetts on the Rockies that I took the Z in again for the popping noise. They tried the retorque story again, and then the removal of the gas tank and all other hardware looking for the noise maker. Still no fix. On tuesday of this week the engineer from GM came down and they said it was Pop Canning. That the area behind the seats in the Z06 has no reinforcement like the Coupes and Verts. Their fix is to install the reinforcement ribs in my car to make it go away. Any thoughts, ideas, comments?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Not heard of it

Hi Ron,
I am baffled as you are on this one. while I have never heard of this one at all, I am sure that it is possible.
Did they recheck the torque on the rear subframe bolts??
Also, have you noticed any looseness feeling in the handling?? Like maybe the alignment is off?>
Sorry for your issues, c4c5

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They pulled the rear facia, all the associated parts the fuel tanks and retorqued everything as they put it back together. They even changed some of the torques per tech assistance. It still popped. The engineer is the one that came up with the pop canning. All I can figure is we'll drive it and see when their done. But no I never noticed any off alignment or looseness in the rear end. I even won first place in the autocross at VTOR. So who knows!

Z

·
0 Posts
I may have had this, but after the 2" drop - hehe -actually doing worse, come to think of it - I hear this no more, especially on rearbound turns, e.g. driveways, parking spots, etc.

/rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts