Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Z06 with 14,000 miles. This weekend I noticed a mild popping sound from the undercarrriage while turning the car right or left. It is if the shifting of the body weight causes the pop. I can not narrow it down to a specific location, and once parked I have tried bouncing the car and pushing it right and left to reproduce the sound with no results. It also occurs sometimes when driving straight and going over a bump. I'm baffled. Any ideas?

·
Registered
390 Posts
mine too.from what i hear it's just one of our little "quirks" on these cars & nothing to worry about.i'm sure someone here knows the "scientific" reason for it. :z:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Rear Sway Bar Links or brackets? Or Not. Turning side to side would torque the sway bar. Time to get under there with some spray lube and find that baby. Good luck.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
you're not alone with that 'pop' I have it on my 03 with 14K miles as well.....last time at the dealer they could not replicate.....it seems to be getting progressively worse adn worse now though, I heard it as 150-160 lbs of me sat down in teh driver's seat the other day...

·
Registered
603 Posts
This sounds crazy, but it was driving me nuts on my slightly lowered '02 Z, so I investigated & came up with...

The factory wheel weights that are mounted on the inner edge of the rims would sometimes come in contact w/ the front A-arms on some turns. The A-arms showed just a slight nick where they'd come in contact w/ the weights.
It was hard to replicate because the car's suspension was unloaded when I c'ked it out, but sure enough that's what it was... :ity:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
jared69 said:
I have a 2002 Z06 with 14,000 miles. This weekend I noticed a mild popping sound from the undercarrriage while turning the car right or left. It is if the shifting of the body weight causes the pop. I can not narrow it down to a specific location, and once parked I have tried bouncing the car and pushing it right and left to reproduce the sound with no results. It also occurs sometimes when driving straight and going over a bump. I'm baffled. Any ideas?
HI there,
I am not sure if you have had any work done that required the subframes be removed, but, I would suggest checking the torque on all the fastener nuts for the front subframe.
Correct torque values are critical to a quiet front end.
Spec is 81 ft lbs. If they have been removed, they should have been replaced, per GM service guidelines.
Allthebest, c4c5

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Common causes are
- A-Arm bushings
- corrosion on the wheel bearing nut.

- Back off the wheel bearing nut,
- clean the threads and nut of corrosion,
- add a rust inhibitor/lubricant like WD-40
- retorque nut

- Change to VB&P Poly graphite bushings.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mine does this too - check out itlgo's link above. For me it is very repeatable becase of my driveway design - happens every morning. Some Dynamat (foil type) deadens the sound. Instead of welding a support I was thinking of getting some aluminum 1/8" strips and placing them on that area with 3m's VHB tape. Strong stuff! I think it will work. Get the vhb tape from mcmaster.com, possibly get the aluminum from them too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Subw00er said:
Mine does this too - check out itlgo's link above. For me it is very repeatable becase of my driveway design - happens every morning. Some Dynamat (foil type) deadens the sound. Instead of welding a support I was thinking of getting some aluminum 1/8" strips and placing them on that area with 3m's VHB tape. Strong stuff! I think it will work. Get the vhb tape from mcmaster.com, possibly get the aluminum from them too.
The other fix I've heard of, which I would have done if I didn't have a buddy weld a sheet over the aluminum plate, is to use Great Stuff. Basically, you drill a hole through the sheet metal behind the driver's seat (CAREFULLY - the gas tank is about 1" behind the metal) and fill it with Great Stuff (that expanding, solidifying foam). tightens everything up and prevents the flexing that causes the pop.

Al

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! I already feel better knowing that it isn't just me that has this issue. Thanks for all the great insight!

Tony

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It may be a few things that could cause some different sounds, such as those mentioned earlier. Diagnosing it over the internet is a little like a shot in the dark especially with the little bit of information that you have provided thus far.

Does it sound like it is coming from the rear portion or front? Does it only occur when the car is beginning to move or does it pop while driving down the road? Does it happen when the car is on unlevel surface such as backing out of a drive way or on the flat surface? Does it happen when hitting bumps or when bouncing the car up and down?

I had a "popping" sound that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car and down lower like it was in the suspension or rear portion of the drive train. It would only happen when the car was starting from a stop, either forward or backwards but mostly when backing out of my drive way which put the car in an unlevel (from right to left) position. The pop would occur once and not happen while the car was in motion such as driving down the road. As it turned out my vette tech said it was the axel spline and that it was a pretty common thing with C5s. Although I do not know the details of the fix he said that it was a simple fix and was covered under warranty. After he did the service work it never had the popping sound again.

Good luck,

Don

jared69 said:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Subw00er said:
He's right. I think all the C5s have the "oil-canning" sound because of the thin piece of sheetmetal used behind the seats. Using the aluminum strips and tape is a good idea. Can you post a thread letting us know how you like it? Maybe if you could include some pics as well.

Alex :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't narrow it down to the rear or front portion of the car. It doesn't occur when starting or stopping at all, but only when turning right or left and sometimes when going over a bump. It hapens on level surfaces, and I can't reproduce it bouncing the car when parked. Thanks for the help!!

Tony

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
jared69 said:
I can't narrow it down to the rear or front portion of the car. It doesn't occur when starting or stopping at all, but only when turning right or left and sometimes when going over a bump. It hapens on level surfaces, and I can't reproduce it bouncing the car when parked. Thanks for the help!!

Tony
Tony,

Move your seat forward and tilt the back of the seat forward. Lift up the piece of carpet that is behind the seat - where the back of the seat would be. That is where the thin piece of sheetmetal is. Push down on it in different areas. It should make that sound you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure that's it. Let us know if you find it.

Alex :guiness:

·
Registered
579 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
He's right. I think all the C5s have the "oil-canning" sound because of the thin piece of sheetmetal used behind the seats. Using the aluminum strips and tape is a good idea. Can you post a thread letting us know how you like it? Maybe if you could include some pics as well.

Alex :thumb:
Alex, I probably wont do it. As it turns out, it doesnt bother me that much. For me, it only happens when I'm backing out of my driveway- I never hear it on the road. There is a steep incline going up my driveway and my Z makes it by .5", no joke! I just barely get up - I have to take it at an angle. The first time I did it, I scraped one of those little grey glue bobbles off the car. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts