Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I installed T1 Sways, front and rear, with Teflon lined endlinks. Now I have this popping noise coming from the back of the car. It's most notable as the weight of the car transfers from side to side. I can also replicate it by pushing down the back of the car and letting it spring up. It’s very similar to the sound of pushing an unopened soda can top in and letting it pop. It seems to be moderately loud.

Any ideas? I did find another thread somewhere where a guy had a similar problem but I didn’t see where he figured it out.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
709 Posts
In my case the popping sound was the sheet metal behind the driver's seat. Lift the carpet and push against the metal - see if it is close to the noise you're hearing.

Al

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll check out both.

Al - how did you keep the sheet metal from popping?

Also, do you think that perhaps I have the mounts too tight? I didnt use the stock mounts. The kit came with bigger ones but the bars dont exactly swing freely. They do pivot in the mounts but it takes some effort to move them. I suspected that I'm hearing the bar "pop" as just enough force is applied to get them to move. I dont know how to explain it. If you put your hand on the bar while someone pushes the back end down you feel it most right around the mount. I'm going to loosen it a bit as soon as I can to see if thats it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
PhilR,

When I installed my T1's, I had to shim the bracket with 3 or 4 washers so that the new bushings would fit correctly and the bar would be able to rotate freely. If you didnt do this, this would probably make the swaybars pop as they are trying to rotate freely but can not since they are on too tight. When they finally break free they cause a popping sound. Also check bolts to make sure they are tight and make sure to lubricate the bushings and endlinks with grease.

·
21,355 Posts
PhilR said:
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll check out both.

Al - how did you keep the sheet metal from popping?

Also, do you think that perhaps I have the mounts too tight? I didnt use the stock mounts. The kit came with bigger ones but the bars dont exactly swing freely. They do pivot in the mounts but it takes some effort to move them. I suspected that I'm hearing the bar "pop" as just enough force is applied to get them to move. I dont know how to explain it. If you put your hand on the bar while someone pushes the back end down you feel it most right around the mount. I'm going to loosen it a bit as soon as I can to see if thats it.
If they're urethane and you didn't grease them, then i can see the sway bar "pop" as it moves in the urethane block. Urethane is non resiliant and will not give like rubber. Put some marine grease on the mounts if you haven't already.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I greased the hell out of them. I think they're just too tight. I'll try the washer shim and see how it goes.
I really dont think its the sheetmetal behind the seat but I'll check that too.

Thanks for tall the ideas guys!

Phil

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
A famous little guy once said, "Do or do not, there is no try"

With sway bars this size, You MUST shim for them to work properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts