Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a great day for cruising and everyone it seemed had their cars out from hibernation.
Was going northbound minding my own business on one of our popular 4 lane county roads when a blue 911 comes up by me fast in the right lane. I saw him comming so as soon as he passed me I planted the Z right on his ass, I mean can you say bump draft? We had plenty of road up ahead so I wanted to see what his car would do.
He nailed it (there is some kind of a little door on the back that opens up under acceleration, very cool)and I stayed right on him then downshifted to fourth gear and went around him very fast grabbing fifth on the way by. One second I was behind him then the next, I was around him. The Z pulls very well at high RPMs right past 6K. I don't know how hard this guy was trying, but the Z seemed to go around him effortlessly. Maybe the gearing, I don't know.

By now we were going at a serious speed, but I had him by a good margin. We finally came to a light and I rolled my passenger's window down to ask if he wanted to go from a stop. The guy would not even look at me. Needless to say he left the light in a more docile manner. I figured he was pissed that his 100K car was road kill to my 50K ride.

Guys, the Z06 is a hell of car just stock, as you all know, but sometimes we forget just how good the General did by us, with all the stuff about oil consumption etc. This car rocks! No Mustang will try you. I know I will get my ass handed to me eventually, but it will probalby be another Vette or Viper that does it.

When that happens then I will slink down to LPE for some reinforcements. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Although I love the 911 I'm glad you blew his doors in! I now agree with your comment regarding the General. I'm enjoying my Z one day at a time. I keep an eye on the oil but I will not get crazy about it. Regards, FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not to pee on anyone's cornflakes, but can't resist a couple of comments.
Normally aspirated 911s don't cost $100k.
You've not identified the Porsche very well other than to mention the active rear spoiler. For all I (you?) know it could have been ten years old with 247hp.
Speculation: Rather than high-dollar Vipers, etc. being most likely to take your doors off, I'd guess it's more likely that a Mustang or F-body with modifications will do it. Mustangs that can outrun a Z06 are fairly common. Mine was smoking ZR1s back in 1993.

1989 Mustang 5.0
Supercharged, intercooled, more

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tampaz:

It was a 911 Carrera. Don't know what year it was but it had a wide ass end. The door or spoiler as you call it was only about a foot or so wide. BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I had a guy in a Carrera 2 that made a feeble attempt the other day. It was very ugly /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
906 Posts
Nice kill.

It wasn't a Twin Turbo or GT2. If you see one of these, beware. I owned a TT once and I'll tell you this much; my ZO6 is a wonderful machine, but a TT ($125,000 American) will flat out haul. Fastest car I have ever driven 0-60 and top speed. I hear the new GT2(street legal) is even quicker. Only thing quicker is a McClaren F1 or a solid rocket booster.

A regular 996 or 911 you can break out the shishkabob sticks. For a little over a 1/3 of the price the ZO6 is the best sports car money can buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts