Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lease on a '97 Porsche Cab is up and I'm considering leasing a 2002 Z06. Are there any previous Porsche owners out there that can share their thoughts? Thanks

Harold

·
Registered
32 Posts
Porsche to Z06

Well, I have had a couple porsches and a number of vettes.

Corvettes:
1990 ZR-1
1991 L98 Coupe (first one - put 150K miles on it)
1994 ZR-1 (still have it)
1995 Convert
2000 Z51 Coupe
2002 Z06 (just got)

Porsches:
1996 911 C4S
2001 911 Turbo

OK - I have been around the block on cars it seems. It depends on what you want in a car. There is nothing cheap about a Porsche - period. I loved both my Porsches until I started having problems. Yes, the Turbo had 9 recalls.

The quality of the Porsche is much better than the pre-C5 cars. My ZR-1, no matter how much I love it and I will probably get buried in it - it isn't a porsche in terms of quality interior. In terms of fun and motor. Well, it killed my Turbo at the drag strip. I added Porsche brakes to my ZR-1 and it rocks in the brake department now.

You aren't looking at a ZR-1. So, I have had my 2002 MY Z06 for a week or so. I have almost 900 miles on it. The interior is as nice as the porsche except I like the way the 3 spoke wheel feels in my hand on the 911 - but the Corvette wheel is fine. The leather quality seems better on the Porsche seats. Of course, Porsche probably makes some of the best seats around.

Performance wise - the Z06 is right there or beat the Turbo in many ways. I really liked my 911 Turbo but there are some things I didn't like. It was too quiet. Seriously - hard to get a feel for it. The transmission couldn't be shifted quickly.

How about price? The Z06 is cheaper than a baseline Carrera. Hell, for the amount of money I paid for my Turbo I could have gotten a Z06, a convertible and my F-250.

Porsche has screwed up in some ways. The 911 doesn't look that much different than a Boxster. Yeah, to us motor heads they are totally different. My girl had a 2001 C4 Cab - looked damn near like a boxster most of the time. $90K car - looked like a $50K one. $90K convertible - no glass rear window. Oh well, we ditched the C4 Cab and got a Jaguar XKR convertible. 370hpo supercharged V-8...nice car.

I guess there is one thing to say about the Porsches. They feel small and are very nimble. The C5 convertible can feel like a battleship if you get ouf of a Porsche Boxster S.

I have sold all my Porsches and I have the following today:
2001 F-250 Supercrew cab 4*4 diesel
2002 Z06 MY
1994 ZR-1 #103

Let me know if you have questions. The Corvette is a bargain and it will spank the 911 across the board unless you get a Turbo with somebody that knows how to drive it well.

Regards,
Darin

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
WOW

Okay, let me be the first to say I am jealous. Even if others don't admit, I think many of us are. WOW. We keep some nice company in here, that's for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I am not trying to brag. I just wanted to put some facts behind my story on the cars. You usually find out that people that talk smack about a particular cars has never owned one or never even driven one. Or - my brother's Dad used to have a college buddy that drove his Uncle's or some crap like that. Like the Porsches - not worth the money in my opinion and I took my money elsewhere.

It is like a Viper for me. I wanted a Viper until I drove one. Rented one for 3 days. I took it back after 2 and got a hummer for the remaining day.

Sure wish I could get my American cars services at a Porsche or Lexus dealership - where they know how to treat customers.

I am scared to even list all the cars I have had... :guiness:

D.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Waited till you got a response from a 911 owner.
I have owned two 944's. an 83 original and a 90 S2-more power and turbo suspension, I added Konis.

Porsche seats are great. Z06 seats are junk.
The Z06 seats have crummy leather poor back support and no lateral support. When I sit in the Porshe seat it feels right. In the Z seat it sometimes feels OK - I have 6K miles on the Z.

Z is big, but very precise so mostly I can hustle it as much as the Porsches. The Z turning circle however is a pain in the ass - 40+ feet.
Corvette quality just isn't the same as Porsche.
Lots of funky little problems like the steering column lock.
The stock Z suspension had more body roll than I liked so I replaced it. The Porsches felt better from scratch.
The Z is quieter than those Porsches.
The vette controls are great with really big buttons that are easy to find even when moving at speed.
I'm a front engine rear drive guy. They just feel so much better to me than anything else that the Z was a no brainer given Porsche's abandonment of such cars. And the rear trans with its better weight distribution was the frosting on the cake.
Another Vette annoyance is the long nose. Too easy to hit parking barriers in the first days of ownership before acclimation. Also dragging frame rails in front is a special vette delight. Shock and swaybar upgrades have helped that a lot.

Luggage space is another big advantage of the vette. Huge trunk allows us to put two backpacks and other stuff in it and drive to Montana. Why have a car if you can't put enough stuff in it to drive it on long trips?

With all that the Z is an awesome car that I love.
The positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

Another bonus is that people love Corvettes. All kinds of people just come up and strike up a conversation and tell you how much they like it. They usually don't even know what a Z is. Different than the hostile admiration that Porsches often get. I have a long list of friends and colleagues who want a ride. Only one or 2 ever expressed an interest in the Porsches.

The vette isn't as exclusive. There are lots of C5's and few people can tell a Z. From my perspective thats good. Car doesn't stand out to the CHP the same way something more exotic does.

Longer than I intended,
Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting on the Z is louder than the Porsches. I loved the sound of my 96 911 C4S - great noises. The 2001 C4 Cab was really cool. The 2001 911 Turbo...way too quiet.

All in all - I think we agree.

D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I drove a Z06 today and really liked the added power over my Porsche 911 Cab (I will miss not being able to put the top down though.) It seemed, however, that the shifting on the Z06 was not as smooth and required more effort. Was it just that particular car, or is it true for all? Does it get better in time? Don't get me wrong.........I think that particularly for the money, the Z06 is a much better deal. (I looked at a new Porsche Cab at $91,000 vs $50,000 for the Z06.) I'm considering getting the Z06 from Hawthone Chevy. Does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
lots of threads here on aftermarket shifters.
not many people like the stock one.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Z06 vs Porsche

I've always loved Porsches and still do. My last was a 996TT. Mine suffered no quality issues, but I didn't own it for too long. No doubt that overall fit and finish are better in most Porsches.

One of the primary reasons I sold the TT was the fact that it was "boring" to drive. Yeah, it was fast as hell, but it was soooo smooth and composed that it didn't trigger that adrenaline rush that most of us crave in our sports cars. This is not an indictment of Porsche, but really a tribute to their engineering prowess. The 996TT is a very fast grand touring-style car, but it simply does not feel as sporty, raw, and exciting as a Z06. The Corvette does sound much better (IMO) and louder than a stock TT.

Both are great automobiles, but they accomplish their mission in very different ways. If I won the lottery, I'd buy another TT and keep the Z06.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts