Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping track of the hp that each mod gives to the Z06, from stock at 300 miles to the present. I am looking for the real #s not the Mfg. or Tuner claims.
I have been using the same independent dyno that has nothing to gain from the #s produced.
We can all agree that the #s vary greatly from dyno to dyno, so my stock and final #s would not be the same everywhere.
But my #s between these should be accurate for the mods that I have done since I use the same dyno and give the computer time to relearn the new mod.
With the following mods Ram Air, TTS Headers, Bassani X Pipe, and Corsa Indys the car pulled 354 rwhp & 348 rwtq last Thursday.
Sunday I installed a GM 75mm ported TB, Bosh 4+4 Plugs, and MSD Wires.
Today I take it to the dyno and lose 4 rwhp.
350 rwhp & 344 rwtq.
For those of you that want the #s you will get instead of claims from people who make their living selling these mods, this is the reason why I have been testing.
  • Stock-----------------330 hp
  • Ram Air---------------340 hp + 10 hp
  • X Pipe, Corsas--------346 hp + 6 hp
  • TTS Headers-----------354 hp + 8 hp
  • Ported TB-------------350 hp - 4 hp
  • MTI UD Pulley---------355 hp + 5 hp
  • Programmed Computer----NA

B&M Ripper,Corvette Concepts Ram Air
354.0 rwhp 348.0 rwtq (SAE)
2000 FRC Mongoose 400
2000 FRC Mongoose 460 (on the injured list)
405.7 rwhp 387.4 rwtq (SAE)
www.c5frc.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Tom,

As you know, Katech has extensive Dyno testing. They told me that, "A ported and polished trottle body produced no results unless the engine had a head and cam package". I specifically asked them this question. They also said that maximum gains are only 5 HP, and that is on a heavily modified engine.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

On 2001-05-25 01:34, fcalmes spewed forth this drivel:
Tom,

As you know, Katech has extensive Dyno testing. They told me that, "A ported and polished trottle body produced no results unless the engine had a head and cam package". I specifically asked them this question. They also said that maximum gains are only 5 HP, and that is on a heavily modified engine.

I remember you telling me this Frank and I had agreed with you but you know how some people are you have to prove it to them.
Something about being from the show me state /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif.
If my testing can save our members a few $ then I have done my job. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Tom, DRM told me a ported or bigger tb would be a waste of $ unless I did a stroker motor. I took their advice and left my tb stock. The airbridges and accordian replacements are also supposed to be worthless on anything less than a stroker.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

On 2001-05-25 22:41, Rippied.Z06 spewed forth this drivel:
Tom, DRM told me a ported or bigger tb would be a waste of $ unless I did a stroker motor. I took their advice and left my tb stock. The airbridges and accordian replacements are also supposed to be worthless on anything less than a stroker.

Ron I make a sleeve that fits inside the accordian connector that smooths out the air before it goes in the TB.
I tested this when the car was bone stock and it gave me 1.5 hp, not much but something.
I also tested an airbridge against a ram air system with the stock airbridge and got 3 more hp. Real #s Ron I have nothing to gain but the truth and loss, only all the $$ these dyno runs are costing me.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
There was also some scuttlebutt about some Champion plugs making a difference...

I don't recall the #'s though...

JC

·
Registered
566 Posts
Tom:

Thank you for the data. You have confirmed some of my ideas. Of course, all of these things do add up, but there is no one "silver bullet" bolt on.
I for one appreciate your efforts here. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Dennis,
The truth shall set you free.
I just put in my new (custom programed to the mods) computer. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
Balls to the wall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts