Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this model in carrying case for $109.00 at Lowes this weekend. Same thing as 7224 model with a larger weight balance I believe. This is a very good price. I have seen 7224 models for $175 to $200+.
Would still need to purchase accessories and polishing pads but still should be a significant savings on similar packages I have seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Amazon.com has them for $124.99. So if you picked it up for 109 you got a good deal. It uses a 6" pad. You should be able to get the hook and loop base and the accompanying pads for polishing. Amazon has a list of accessories for this item.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
MiamiCowboy said:
Saw this model in carrying case for $109.00 at Lowes this weekend. Same thing as 7224 model with a larger weight balance I believe. This is a very good price. I have seen 7224 models for $175 to $200+.
Would still need to purchase accessories and polishing pads but still should be a significant savings on similar packages I have seen.
This is the same one I have, got it at Lowes for the same price. Works like a charm! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
I bought the Sonus pad kit for my PC7424 at Autopia.
Its well worth the money - quality pads that last a long time. Its worth picking up the bottle of sonus wash to clean the pads too - works well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,333 Posts
I've got the 7424. What's the difference between the 7424 and the 7336? If it's only he counter balance weight (as MiamiCowboy thinks), I purchased an additional weight for use with larger pads.

Charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
I think the 7424 & 7336 are the same, just supplied with different pads.

I paid $109 for mine at Lowes--should have gotten it before they raised the price from $99--I didn't get a case with mine, just the cardboard box!

I've been told NOT to use the stock polishing pad (from Heather @ Adam's Polishes), it's too rough.

Adam's has backing plates and pads for this buffer!
Buffer pads

Use "Z06Vette" as a discount code for 10% off! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I went to the Lowes here in Grand Rapids Michigan and they don't even keep them in stock. They had to special order it for $129. Then I got a phone call explaining that there had been a big mistake, and that the price was suppose to be something like $229 and some other BS. So the store ate the higher price and let me have it for $129 anyway. I told the salesman that people in other parts of the country buy them at Lowes for around $100 all day long and he didn't believe it.
Oh Well. $129 for the 7336 isn't to bad considering Porter Cable orbital polishers don't even exist in these here parts of the woods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Some, Griot's Supply, want an arm and a leg for this unit. I bought mine a few years ago on-line for about $110.00. I prefer it over the old buffers, little chance of burning anything and much lighter.

Lowes is a great place and prices are the best I've seen.

I just placed an order with Adams which began with the hook and loop backing disk and polishing pads for $29.95. Somehow, tough to explain, I ended up spending $132.00 on other supplies as well...Can't wait for the stuff to arrive.. :pp:

Bob :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
Kickin said:
I went to the Lowes here in Grand Rapids Michigan and they don't even keep them in stock. They had to special order it for $129. Then I got a phone call explaining that there had been a big mistake, and that the price was suppose to be something like $229 and some other BS. So the store ate the higher price and let me have it for $129 anyway. I told the salesman that people in other parts of the country buy them at Lowes for around $100 all day long and he didn't believe it.
Oh Well. $129 for the 7336 isn't to bad considering Porter Cable orbital polishers don't even exist in these here parts of the woods.
He should have pulled the inventory of other Lowes stores in your area to see if they had it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Stumbo said:
I've seen many posts on Porter-Cable products and a few on other manufacturers over the past couple of years. Anyone try Dewalt, Hitachi, Milwaukee? Here's a link to a comparison: http://www.mytoolstore.com/compare/cppol1.html that I found useful.
Just a quick look at your list of polishers and it appears that the other models are single action meaning they rotate in one direction. The PC polisher is a dual action polisher and works a lot like a DA sander. The other polishers listed can leave swirl marks in the paint. The PC doesn't because of how it is designed. I didn't read all of the data on the others so I may be wrong but hey it's early.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
... it appears that the other models are single action meaning they rotate in one direction
D.J.
I saw that too.
Has anyone tried other DA polishers besides Porter-Cable? Results? Warranty? Reliability? Quality? Availability?

Thanks,
Stumbo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Stumbo, I did some research before I got the 7424 but dont waste your time.. just go get the PC. its a great reliable unit with many accessories available. My only complaint is its weight Sightly heavy but that just means theres a strong motor in there! Also, if you let the weight of the unit (only - no addtl. pressing) guide you it turns out to be a good pressure to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Stumbo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,333 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I have the PC 7424, it's a great all around little buffer. For occassional use, it does a good job. I've done some water spot buffing with it, did pretty good. It is light and easy to move around. I ordered it online, but I don't remember where, but Coastal Tool does sound familiar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Can this be used just like a regular old orbital buffer or is this more like a "speed buffer"? I guess what I'm askin' is if this can be used for routine wax application or if this is more for intended for removing oxidation an heavier scratches. Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Orbital buffers can be used for pretty much everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Z064FUN, you can use it for anything. I barely do heavy buffing with mine, just a light maintenance buff. I use speed 4-5 and go pretty quickly with it, overlapping by 30% or so.

One other nice thing about the Sonus kit is that it comes with a velcro backing pad so you can buy velcro sanding pads and use it for other things - I've removed paint off of stuff before with the sanding pads.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top