Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently 24 months into an $18K modified Honda S2000 and am considering selling and stretching for the ZO6. The aquisition of the ZO6 would not leave me with a wealth of cash flow so I was wondering how much investment was required to make the car track ready.
1. Could one get buy with just a spare set of rims and Kuhmos for a while?
2. How much are decent track wheels and what are the sizes & offsets you've found to work best?
3. How is the lateral support of the OE seat?
4. Is there a harness compatible with the OE seats?
5. Are Corvette track days in the same $250 per day neighborhood as I'm currently paying?
6. Does the GM Service Departments stand behind the initial tweaks and/or problems well?
7. How is the handling on hair pins and tight sweepers with the OE suspension?
Seems like a lot of car for 52K, as was the S2000 for the initial 32K, no regrets, just being seduced by the thought of 405 hp.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1&2. Spare wheels and tires that FIT the Z are not cheap. The "wagon wheel" rim that comes with the 97-99 C5's can be bought cheap ($250 a set) but are 1" narrower than the factory Z rims. Stock Z rims are 17x9.5F and 18x10.5R. Also, Kuhmos are a great tire for the money but I don't believe they can hold with a more expensive tire such as the BFG G-Force line. I wonder how close the stock or BFG tires on factory rims would come to a set of road race tires on 1" narrower rims.

3. Lateral support of the OE seat is rather poor for a car of this caliber. Standard C5's actually have an optional seat with better support. I would say average but not on par with the rest of the performance of the Z.

4. The Breathless Bar has been getting rave reviews, bolts in, and will work with the OE seats. Hopefully this can fix question #3 for around $500 with a good harness.

5. Dunno price of track days. I have only seen local autocross events at $16-25 for the day.

6. Service departments vary with the managers that work there. Some allow for the minor mods that most Z owners do such as intake, exhaust, thorttle body while other dealerships will try to void the OEM warranty for a K&N air filter. Every dealership (including Honda) will have different attitudes towards modification.. ask around locally.

7. Handling on hair pins is excellent. the Z is described having one of the highest turn in speeds of any car but can be a handful when exiting sweepers. the LS6 generates HUGE torque at lower RPM's. The S2000 has an unbelievable HP per liter ratio buy is still rather low and only operates well above 6000 RPM. The Z will scoot between 3k-6.5k very well with throttle induces oversteer available if you want it.

Regarding your final note. Cars like the S2000 and Miata are great autocross cars because of their weight balance and small size. For real open track racing the Z is one of the fastest cars made under a quarter million dollars. It also pulls more than 1.0G's STOCK. C$D magazine usually finds that most other cars like the BMW M3, Porsches, and others onyl pull around 0.90G approximately. This is under the same conditions. I have seen numbers in the mid .9 range for cheaper car such as the Miata and MR2 but this was done with a smaller radius turn and on different pavement. The Z was not tested under the same conditions like it was when compared against the M3 and Porsche Boxter.

Bottom line... you don't get quality with the $50k Z06 but you get a world class sports car capable of running even or BEATING some cars that cost over twice its' price. It's like having a Viper ACR for $30k less and you can drive it to work everyday. I was a Ford Mustang fan and NEVER thought I would own a Vette. That was until I saw the numbers on the Z, drove one, then bought one the same day. No regrets!

pant, pant.. did I miss anything?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can add but a couple of points...
First, the stock suspension/tires are absolutely great. My prior car was a modded TT Supra and I had Eibachs and ran Hoosiers for track time and can state that the Z in stock form does one helluva lot better. The torque is seemless and endless so if you come into a turn a little hot and get a little wide, just mash the go pedal and it sets you straight in a hurry. A real joy to drive.
Someone has addressed the harness bar issue...definately a need as the stock seats really suck.
One other thing...the video that comes with the car shows you how to adjust the camber of all 4 wheels for track sessions. Have not tried it yet as I have not reached the limits of the stock form.
Have fun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
DelrayBeach said:
I'm currently 24 months into an $18K modified Honda S2000 and am considering selling and stretching for the ZO6. The aquisition of the ZO6 would not leave me with a wealth of cash flow so I was wondering how much investment was required to make the car track ready.
1. Could one get buy with just a spare set of rims and Kuhmos for a while?
2. How much are decent track wheels and what are the sizes & offsets you've found to work best?
3. How is the lateral support of the OE seat?
4. Is there a harness compatible with the OE seats?
5. Are Corvette track days in the same $250 per day neighborhood as I'm currently paying?
6. Does the GM Service Departments stand behind the initial tweaks and/or problems well?
7. How is the handling on hair pins and tight sweepers with the OE suspension?
Seems like a lot of car for 52K, as was the S2000 for the initial 32K, no regrets, just being seduced by the thought of 405 hp.
hey do you post over at s2ki.com?
I have an s2k also. I looked at a Z06 before deciding on the Z06 back in may. What is your name over at s2ki.com?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Potential Buyer Questions

Z06Lover said:

hey do you post over at s2ki.com?
I have an s2k also. I looked at a Z06 before deciding on the Z06 back in may. What is your name over at s2ki.com?
Yes, I am a member "4373" at S2ki.com"

INTRCUL,
While good rims are never cheap I could probably get by on the $250 rims for the first season as it would take at least that long to learn to drive that torque monster at 8/10ths of its limits. Once I got a little smoother with it I could step up to wider rims and a larger tire patch and ease into the additional grip.
Sorry to hear about the seats but a successful $500 "breathless bar" remedy sure beats new seats and rails until I could see what some of the other owners are using at driving events.
I guess service departments was a silly question seeing as they are individually owned and operated.
Glad to hear the ZO6 suspension is excellent without modification. It seemed the engineers had addressed the issue but there's nothing like hearing it from the owners. What I'm really glad to hear is the consensus of the owners are pleased with the car on its OE platform without saying, "you gotta have this and that". I think I would really appreciate the increased power and handling the Z has to offer, and I'm slightly jealous of those of you who are already experiencing it!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Delray, You might want to check out the Justin Bell Experience at Moroso MotorSports Park up in Palm Beach Gardens. They run stock Z06s and c5 coupes; they just got the 2002s in November I believe.
All of the cars are 100% stock and you get a great opportunity to run them hard on the 2.25 road course. It will certainly help you make that decision. Once you drive the Z06, you will want to get rid of that rice burner even sooner.

Oh yeah, one other thing, Maroone Chevrolet in Greenacres is offering a complimentary track side delivery and a 1/2 day at the JB driving school for any C5. The offer lasts through march 31 of 2002

I lived in delray and boynton from 83 to 97. I still get down that way from time to time for work. Good luck!

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts