Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK folks, you asked for it, now it might just be reality.

I just spent some time talking with Phil Wicks of the The Phil Wicks Driving Academy. Phil has been involved in test engineering and racing various types of cars since the early 60's. You can check his Academy out at http://www.wicksdrivingacademy.com/

Phil is interested in running a one day Driver Education (DE) event at Nashville Superspeedway on either July 19 or 20, immeadiately prior to the start of the Fest.

In order to make this happen we need to get SERIOUS committment from 50 people, at a cost of $200.

Please post here if you are SERIOUSLY interested. SERIOUSLY is defined as ready to write the check. Please do not post here if "you think you might be interested", or if there is any doubt in your mind that you would do this.

I am #1, so all we really need is 49 other adrenaline junkies to step up.

Who's with me...

Mark

I will update this post with the names of interested members:

Here is the current list of interested attendees:

mdickie
mjustmike
ivoz06
Jim Lembo
smithsc
GNX GUY
blkz06
ChrisP
ChrisP Buddy 1
ChrisP Buddy 2
tszwec
bbunting
Kaya
Z06Dad
Foxbat
BDHarmon
Proexpert
WVphoto
Curt
MSiska
BurbZ06
Zippy
Mikahb
Jebia
DennyM
jnjboc
Foxbat

Total: 26

This is a great opportunity to run a good track, with a small number of cars. If we have 50 cars in three run groups, that is only an average of 17 cars per group. Most events have 30+ cars per group, this means a lot of open track.

Let's go gang...

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Mark,
Put me in as # 2 in line please!!!

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phil Wicks just called me back. He said that he talked to the track in Nashville, and that we can have the track on Wednesday the 20th of July.

This is perfect timeing to coincide with the Fest, which starts the next day.

C'mon folks, jump on board... and hold on tight.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Hi Mark,
If its on Wednesday the 20th, count me in! I plan on arriving in BG on the 19th, so that will be perfect! You are THE MAN! :thumb: Good Job! Jim

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
Hi Mark,
If its on Wednesday the 20th, count me in! I plan on arriving in BG on the 19th, so that will be perfect! You are THE MAN! :thumb: Good Job! Jim

Say there,
My plans exactly, I was just thinking the same thing. Caravan in, rest a little and then drive FAST!!!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Mark,

Mark me down!!

We are arriving on Tuesday evening as well.

Thanks for pursuing this Mark. Should really be a fun time.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Mark

Could you post a detailed agenda for the class. This may help folks decide. Including me. Is it similar to this?

http://www.wicksdrivingacademy.com/classes.htm

What is the exact course layout that will be used for this particular class.

Thanks

Joe

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the event will be structured very similar to the link shown above. I will confirm this with Phil, but in past events that I have done there are anywhere from 4-6 sets of rotating track periods amongst 4 run groups, a novice, intermediate, advanced, and instructor group.

Novice groups are set up such that all drivers have an in car instructor with them during each track session, and there are generally limited passing zones, and passing is only allowed via a "point-by" from the slower car. This is very very much a learn by doing scenario, where you drive your car as fast as you feel comfortable. In between track sessions there will be 30-45 minute classroom sessions where various topics of interest are covered, such as vehicle dynamics, track management, driving techniquie, etc. These are very informative.

The intermediate group is generally an instructor optional group, where there are limited passing zones, and passing is by "point-by" only. Classroom sessions are also run for this group, generally.

The advanced group is a little more open in that they restrict passing in the corners, passing is to be done on straights only, and no "point-by" is required.

The isntructor group is for the instructors to take their cars out on the track for some fun. This is a great opportunity to ride along with someone that knows how to drive fast, and experience the things they are trying to teach you.

The events I have gone to generally have 2-3 sessions in the am, and 2-3 sessions in the pm, with an hour long lunch break around noon. Generally, you are looking at 2-2.5 hours of actual track time in your car during the day. Trust me, you will be tired when its over.

I will verify all of this with Phil and get him to show me where the actual track layout for the road course would run in Nashville.

Mark

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ttt

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
count me in as #6!!!!!

way to go Mark for getting this set up-this is gonna be the best Fest yet:thumb:

MSiska and I will be sharing my vette :cheers:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm in. Its a fun track, I have been on it several times. Also two other buddys are interested as well.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Come on people, start spreading the news of this. We need to gather some more interest and devotion!!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Count me in

Tom :z: :z:

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Come on Layne, I see you looking!! You and the princess!!

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, Danno, I got your cones and bowl right here pal... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whsh you could make it, we'd even let you bring that dog of Camaro on the track. :lol:

Tell Sconi I said HI, you guys need to make a road trip south...

Mark

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rooms are always available at Casa Dickie for my NE bros, come on down...

Mark

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ttt

1 - 20 of 199 Posts