Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering having my stock rims black powder coated.They are just laying in my garage with the stock tires and only 300 miles on them.Wanted to swap out the chrome set just to have a different look once in awhile..I understand powder coating has a tendency to bubble..Any opinions on this? Anyone know of a place in the central fla area that does this.?
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
For a street driven vehicle they are fine. The powder coating process does weaken the rim and there have been some failures on the track. :cheers:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT L GO said:
For a street driven vehicle they are fine. The powder coating process does weaken the rim and there have been some failures on the track. :cheers:

Thanks.not planning on tracking with them,although I did not know it would make them weaker.Black looks good with M/Y..IMO

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would not powder coat the stock rims, even if you don't track it. It's just not worth the risk, IMO. Look into a quality paint job on them instead, which won't compromise the strength of the rim.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Best look I've seen to date is the black painted rims with a polished lip.

Thats especially sharp. IMHO and what I would suggest...

JMHO...

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I wouldn't powder coat simply because it would be a pita to try to get another one to match if you scraped a curb. Check out Panther Precision and some of the wheels they have done. (search google and here).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do what you like -just stay away from Wheels America in Los Angeles. Sloppy work and bad attitude. I had to take it to their corporate office to get a refund. They are the reason I had to buy iforged Evo's - if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
my rims are powdercoated. they still look great. haven't broken either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts