Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2001 stock Z06 primarily for DE's and open track days at road courses. I also drive it on the street.

I have added a tranny cooler, DRM brake ducts w/ LG spindle brackets, and a DRM aluminum radiator w/ integral oil cooler and a few other similar things. All stuff to make it more reliable at the track and/or easier to work on. I also have a set of CCW wheels that allow me to run 315/35/17's at all 4 corners. Now that I have some "essentials" out of the way I'm looking to up the power.

First, let me say that I want to stay normally-aspirated and I don't want to swap engines. That being said, I am interested in learning on what a good progression of modifications might be. Where do I start (best bang for the buck), what comes next, etc.

Something that might play into this is the fact that it's an '01. My oil consumption is not high enough for GM to pony up for it, but I often wonder if I will have trouble down the road.

Thanks in advance for your input! :p

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would start with LGs headers. They seem to be a good bolt on by them selves, and important if you do a H/C in the future.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Headers, cam and heads :cheers:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Really depends on the amount of power you want as a long term goal. You've done some sweet mods already but re: power some mods are close to no brainers.

First steps are intake. Nearly free is the zip tie method and folks that have tried it are quick to point out the benefits are nearly the same as intakes costing $100's. Do a search and you can find out how to do it.

Second step are the LG (or other if you have a preference) headers that 3 pedal recommended. They consistently increase horsepower and retain torque consistently with the best of headers avail. They aren't cheap! but will enhance hp developed on both stock or modified engines.

Next step would likely be a good tune up. At this stage folks are reporting 10 - 15 hp just from a good tune, and should leave you close to 390-400 HP at the wheels w/great driveability.

From this point, if your still looking there have been some great results on adding a cam ... probably more so on the 01's as they have smaller cam than any of the later year Z's. Should make in the vicinity of 420 RWHP w/ this.

Still want power, go with the AFR heads and you could be in the 450 RWHP range. W/ a crazy cam expect even more... :)

As for your 01 burning oil??? Ive got almost 30,000 miles on mine and Im still waiting. Did a 1200 mile trip this spring w/o any detection of burning.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Cold air intake, LT headers, heads, cam, bigger injectors and a good tune and you will be amazed with the added power.
This should get you between 430-460rwhp depending on how nasty of a cam you pick! You won't be sorry! :yeadog:

Jim

·
Registered
141 Posts
To keep costs low and output high, I would say intake, headers, cam and a good tune. With a mediun sized cam this should bring you 400 to the wheels.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Since I can't use any of that stuff I can't really add anything concrete other than to make two suggestions if you open up the engine:
- Put a better heavy duty timing chain in
- Either locktite or put a key on the main crank bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on (neither of which is called out in the GM tech manual, but... )

:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts