Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I will be replacing my rotors this weekend, I am interested in purchasing some air tools. I've seen some Craftsman sets for under $400. I dont want to spend more than $400 as this will be for weekend DIY projects only.

1. What do guys use? If you have some photos of it please post them.

2. Is there a specific brand and/or feature that I should look for?

3. What HP rating will be good for minor DIY jobs?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I have always gone with Craftsman. I have a full box (just add cup-holder!!)of hand and air tools & a 17 year old compressor that just won't die.

Craftsman is good quality for the price, Sears Hardware stores are readily available and the guarantee can't be beat. IMO

==========

:jammin: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I also have a Craftsman compressor. I will tell you to get the biggest one you can, as they don't seem to ever be big enough. Mine is fine when using the impact wrench and air rachet, but the cut off wheel and nibbler use up the air quickly if I am making big cuts, and the sand blaster just rips through it.

That said, for smaller jobs, it is great. I can't imagine not having it. I have busted off rusted nuts, removed a tire in a fraction of the normal time, and cut bolts down to size easily.

In addition to the compressor, I would recommend a good hose reel. It makes life easy. I got one with 100 foot of hose, and it make it easy, I don't have to move the compressor, and can wind it up in a minute when done.

The tool hanger is a nice way to keep stuff organized. I bought a tool kit that included the impact wrench and rachetm from Home Depot I think. I got most of my other air tools at Harbor Freight. I didn't know how much I would use them, so I figured I would go the cheap route. So far, it has worked out well for me.

After I get a few projects finished, I am going to reorganize the garage. Part of my plan is pulling hard air lines to different parts of the garage. It would be nice to not have to pull the air hose to the work bench when I just need to use the nailer or blow some dust off a piece of wood.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Father's Day special at Sears:

*150-PSI
*33-gal.
*Comes w/ $125 worth of air tools (ratchet, impact wrench, hammer, coil hose)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I use Craftsman too, 30gal upright with craftsman air tools. Impact wrench and an air ratchet should do you fine, a butterfly wrench would be handy too, my next tool. A 22000rpm air grinder with a cutoff wheel cant be beat. Dont get greedy with the impact wrench torque though they can and will break bolts if you're not careful. Pay close attention to these numbers though:
SCFM Delivery At 40 psi 8.6 SCFM
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi 6.4 SCFM
they tell you what the compressor can support with out constantly running. Select tools that fall within the range of the compressor you get.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have that craftsman set that is on sale. I got it two Christmas' ago when the wife and I were going to restore her '66 Mustang. We ended up selling that car and haven't used the compressor that much. But the times we did use it, it worked very well.

I've used it more for painting parts than for wrenching - it works well for that as well!

You will enjoy it. Use the tools that come with it as a guage for whether or not you need more heavy duty stuff. That's what we decided. Turns out they work great.

Oh, and get a length of hose too. That little coily one isn't long enough for anything. I've got a 50' hose and it works well.

My last comment is that I had an electrician out to give me a dedicated plug for the compressor (well, he was coming for more, but that was the last straw that made me call him). When the motor cycled it would pop the breaker. First fill of the tank would be fine, but when it cycled it would draw more amps than the socket allowed.

chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts