Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I took possesion of my new 2001 Z06. I've been having a blast with my new black rocket, but it has developed a nasty problem that I have recently encountered. She's got 650 miles on her now so I've been enjoying really getting on it; however in doing so I have seemingly lost power steering at times. Now, I know that the car compesates at high speeds by limiting steering input, but I have experienced a total loss I believe as the wheel is incredibly hard to turn even after returning to a dead stop. I attempted several different means to get things back to normal, but the only way that seems to work is really getting back into it again. That is winding it out in 1st and 2nd right up to redline. Upon doing that, the steering seems to return to normal. My real fear is that this is going to happen at the wrong time, as in when I'm entering a corner. I've had it happen twice at freeway speeds and it wasn't fun, luckily they were gentle exit ramps, not hairpins on the road course!
I'm going to be taking it back to the dealer for some "doctoring" but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this? I'm guessing/hoping that it's just something with the power steering pump, and not some TC gremlin. Any help would be welcome...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

That is the first time I have heard of your condition. Hopefully it is a minor fix and you will be up and running soon!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Please see if there are any codes in the TCS system, and repost.
We can proceed from there, and welcome, c4c5

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Z06Aflixion, welcome to the Forum!!! C4C5 can help you out, he know his Vette problems and is one of the most helpful people that you will ever talk to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the welcome guys, this is a great forum...c4c5 - I'm away from the car right now, but will check and report what codes if any I can get out of the DIC this Friday 8/3.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I checked the DIC this morning for codes and all modules reported "NO CODES". So I guess whatever was wrong, slipped by the computers. I'm going in to the dealer today, just to get the first oil change and to have them look at it. With the intermittent nature and no codes I don't have high hopes of a quick resolution, but ya never know. Hopefully I'll find a good mechanic at the dealer that can help out. C4C5...got any other thoughts??

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well,
questions please,
First, when does this actually happen?? First thing in the morning, cold, or does it take a while to happen?
Next, is it happening at high speeds, or mostly at parking lot speeds???
Is you foot on the brake when this happens??
Please keep us posted, c4c5

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem seems to occur only under high RPM's. It's hard to tell, as you don't tend to notice your power steering is gone until you need to do something other than travel in a straight line. It's happened maybe 4 times now, once was a complete extended failure. I have gotten back on it several times since the last failure, and so far so good. I took it to the dealer, found a pretty good mechanic there , but as I feared without a code to point in the right direction come-and-go problems are tough. He suggested I leave it with them for the week, and they would check the incoming and outgoing pressure on the pump and different RPM loads. I declined for the time being, however if it does fail again I'm pretty sure I'm going to take them up on that course of action.
One thing he mentioned that I was unsure of was the effect a faulty pump would have on the Magnasteer system. He told me that the system works simply by varying the pump output. I thought I head read somewhere that an electromagnet around the steering column was also involved in the system, although maybe not on the Vette?
So for now, I'll be double checking the steering feel while on the road..and hoping this doesn't come back.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Well, unfortunately, I cannot agree with you mechanic here. Sorry, however, the power steering pump always puts out the same amount of pressure. It is the Magnasteer portion of the system that give you the resistance. This is all located in the rack and pinion.
He is describing another type of powersteering use on trucks and other type of cars.
I would caution that a pump is not part of the actual Magnasteer system, however, a slipping belt could be part of the issue here.
Please give me a year and model, and I can do some preliminary searches, c4c5

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sorry, didnt clarify, your VIN, thanks, c4c5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts