Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the board...new to Z06!! What do you recommend for preventing paint chips on the front end. I've seen this clearstatic web page, but they don't have a full front kit for the Z06. I'm getting real paranoid driving around here in southern California! A friend gave me a business card of a guy here in town who does custom filming and charged her $1,500 for a 350Z. Vinyl can't be that much! Help please..I'm a do-it-yourself type guy, so don't mind working on my car!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My car is chipped to hell because of all the highspeed track driving I do, but it's not on the front end... it's the rockers and 1/4 panels that have gotten blasted. If I bought a new one my first mod would be 3m or similar plastic film all over the sides. I know one guy who has almost no chips on his vette, but he literally waxes it every week and says that's what's kept the paint on there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bang for the buck wise for me has been a Colgan Bra (100?). The only paint chips I have gotten was when I took a "short" ride thinking that I would not need it. WRONG. I had app 7 coats of Zaino when I got the first chip.

I think the best is to weigh the cost of touch up for the front lip of the hood or paint ding on the urethane bumper vs the look, cost and up keep of the bra.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
firsttimevette said:
A friend gave me a business card of a guy here in town who does custom filming and charged her $1,500 for a 350Z. !
I think someone saw someone coming. That at least twice the going rate. :lol:

Do a search, there several do it yourself kits on the market

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Felt the same as you, when I first bought the car. Keeping it absolutely pristine was a top priority. Now after 18,000 miles and one touch-up session at the painter, my tune has changed. I never liked the look of any of the films or bras. When ya get up close to the car, looking at film just doesn't cut it for me. So, I just keep it waxed and well detailed. When the paint scouring starts to bother me, it's off to the painter for a touch-up session and all is well. Drive the car, use it, enjoy it. Having the paint fixed is no big deal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I made the plunge. I just ordered a kit from Invinca-shield.com for their 3M film. They're having a 10% sale for Chevy owners, so $405 including shipping to Cali for the delux kit. Them from Stongard.com, I ordered the film for the two mirrors, $18.35 each (but their web site screwed up my credit card order, so looks like I have to call them on Monday).

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
gresch,

Had both front fender welds touched along with both rocker rails and front clip. This included filling the lug holes for the bow-tie on the front clip as well ( I've shaved the bow-ties off both front and back of the car). I also had him shape a divit in a hood gusset to make more room the the P1SC blower, also had him install A&A rocker rail savers. Total amount came to $ 700.00. I went to a higher end painter, so if you want cheaper, its available. I went 3 years and about 18,000 miles before I did the touchup painting. Hope this helps.

Zrod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts